Royal mail Info

So i brought some cards from someone over in the uk and i live over in Aus, was just looking for some info on royal mail because i got hit with a message from the seller saying —

—This item only ships to Australia by Royal Mail International Signed. You have given a PO Box address and Royal Mail recommend not shipping to these addresses as they are rarely able to give a signature.

As such, I will be cancelling and refunding the transaction. Should you be able to give a typical address where a signature is obtainable, then you may of course repurchase the item.----

Was the seller just trying to get out of postage costs? Or has something changed? because i have brought a fair few things from the uk and not had any problems until now.

In the item description, did the seller specify that the item cannot be shipped to a PO box? I am not from the UK but based on my ebay shopping and selling experience, a lot of sellers (including me) do not like shipping to PO boxes because it increases risks of the mail being returned or have a higher rate of meeting scammers. I don’t think the seller is trying to get out of postage costs since it would cost the same shipping to a PO box versus another type of address in the country; I think the seller was just genuinely concerned that they would be wasting their time shipping the item to you and having it returned or face other issues.

1 Like

Said nothing like that in the listing ditto, well this is the reason i have a po box so that items don’t get left outside my front door.

I always thought a po box was the safer way to go, post office holds onto the item until you pick it up/show id/sign for it.

Oh well, thanks for the reply

Hmm, in that case, won’t the seller asking for signature to your front door solve the problem to ensure the mailman won’t leave your item at your door? Maybe try asking them if you would change to your address they would charge the same with signature confirmation. That way if they say no, you can tell there’s probably another underlying reason to why they aren’t shipping.

Huh? If it requires a signature they would put an attempted delivery slip in your mailbox and direct you to the post office.

I’m from the U.K and never had issues sending to PO boxes of frequent or reputable buyers with international tracked. It’s only when they have a low rating that flags are raised.

There is a warning on the royal mail website but as they have stated it depends on the country. If you know your post office well and they conduct themselves properly then its most likely that the seller is heeding the warning. Are you unable to provide a separate address? I know of some cases especially in rural areas this is the case since a delivery service can’t get around to them.