Rework the Gold Stars

My change would be make the dogs a Black Star Promo that is only obtainable if you contact Jimmy from the printing facility.

2 Likes

I wonder what the price of those dogs would be if that fiasco never happened. Theyre cool cards for sure. I wonder how they would rank in the gold star hierarchy

1 Like

Without the scandal, I could see the Johto dogs being above the Regis and Celebi. Might settle around Alakazam or Metagross level but I still donā€™t see them being anywhere near the upper echelon of gold stars.

I think that theyā€™d be somewhere in between the gold stars from EX Delta Species and the gold stars from EX Deoxys. So Iā€™d bet PSA 9s would be worth somewhere in the vicinity of $1500-$2000. My rationale is that the Gen 2 dogs are more popular than Kyogre/Groudon/Metagross, and the print run sizes of UF and DS seem to have been pretty similar. But EX Deoxys gold stars are scarcer in high grades and Latias/Latios seem to have similar levels of popularity as the Gen 2 dogs.

Definitely an interesting thing to think about. The gold star dogs are basically just like ultra-modern chase cards in terms of fundamentals. Too many mint copies out there that were not and never will be subject to the organic attrition necessary for a collectible to become valuable.

1 Like

Great topic idea!! Love this kind of stuff.

EX Ruby & Sapphire - Blaziken, Swampert, Sceptile
EX Sandstorm - Cradily, Armaldo
EX Dragon - Altaria, Dragonite
EX Team Magma vs Team Aqua - Sharpedo, Camerupt
EX Hidden Legends - Regice, Registeel, Regirock
EX Fire Red Leaf Green - Blastoise, Venusaur, Charizard
EX Team Rocket Returns - Mewtwo, Persian, Scizor
EX Deoxys - Deoxys, Rayquaza
EX Emerald - Latios, Latias, Jirachi
EX Unseen Forces - Lugia, Ho-Oh, Tyranitar
EX Delta Species - Kyogre, Groudon
EX Legend Maker - Arcanine, Flygon
EX Holon Phantoms - Metagross, Salamence (delta species)
EX Crystal Guardians - Gyarados, Kingdra (delta species)
EX Dragon Frontiers - Feraligatr, Ninetales, Milotic (delta species)
EX Power Keepers - Espeon, Umbreon

4 Likes

I would hope that the delta species gold stars are more popular than the gen 2 dogs. Those are some of the best gen 3 mons. I donā€™t know if people really love the dogs outside suicune (at least I have never met anyone who did). I have met tons of kyogre and groudon fans and metagross is a classic

Damn straight, this should have been Yellow and Green with a star, one of his best illustrations ever and one of the few cards doing Deoxys justice:

4 Likes

Fun topic. I will actually put some effort into this one. Will provide reasons where I can.

EX Ruby Sapphire - Kyogre, Groudon
Opening set should always have the 2 box legendaries in it. Most appropriate placement for these two.

EX Sandstorm - Cradily, Armaldo
Fossil Pokemon

EX Dragon - Flygon, Altaria

EX Team Magma vs Team Aqua - Camerupt, Sharpedo
These are the themed Pokemon that each team leader has in your fight with them in R/S

EX Hidden Legends - Regice, Regirock, Registeel

EX FRLG - Mew, Pikachu
Mew and Pikachu deserve the spotlight in this set. The Kanto starter trio donā€™t get Gold Stars in my list

EX TRR - Nidoking, Mewtwo, Persian
Mewtwo because duh, and Nidoking + Persian are iconic Giovanni Pokemon.

EX Deoxys - Deoxys, Jirachi

EX Emerald - Latias, Latios, Rayquaza
The set with the name of the game should have heavy legendary representation

EX Unseen Forces - Tyranitar, Salamence, Metagross
This can be a pseudo legendary themed set

EX Delta Species - Crobat, Claydol, Shedinja
Pokemon with unique typings get Gold Stars in this set (Yes, Zubat line is still the only Poison/Flying type.)

EX Legend Maker - Articuno, Moltres, Zapdos

EX Holon Phantoms - Gengar, Umbreon, Glalie
The ā€˜darkā€™ themed set. As in the theming of dark, not the type.

EX Crystal Guardians - Lugia, Ho-Oh, Suicune
The heavy loaded Gen 2 theme set. All Gen 2 box legendaries get a Gold Star card here. Expect to pay absurd amounts for this box in 15 years time.

EX Dragon Frontiers - Dragonite, Kingdra

EX Power Keepers - Giovanni, Lance, Professor Oak
We switch things up in this set by having Gold Star Trainer cards which are the progenitors for Full Art Cards.

8 Likes

That last one caught me off guard lol, interesting idea!

Canā€™t forget this oneā€¦I know itā€™s Arita and not Fukuda, but imagine if those arms popped out of the borderā€¦ Deoxys leaves a lot of room for the imagination and needs more TCG love!

4 Likes

Those two are the shit, Himeno defense is great as well. Annoying that all the best Deoxys cards are in Holon, without cosmos foilā€¦

2 Likes

I honestly love the delta species holo ā€œpatternā€, I think itā€™s sick how the Pokemon itself is foil. Thatā€™s probably my zoomer blood though. Itā€™s tragic we never got a Deoxys Gold Star, or Lugia/Ho-oh for that matter as well. Tell me the art on the Golden Sky/Silvery Ocean packs WASNā€™T meant to be made into 2 epic Gold Stars:
golden sky silvery ocean

1 Like

While weā€™re on the subject: I think it is really cool they dedicated an entire rarity to one single artist, and Iā€™d love it if that happened again. Hell, Iā€™d love entire sets done by one artist.

Why was there no Steelix Gold Starā€¦ Scizor and Steelix gold stars for sure. Great shiny metal evolutions to great basic mons.

Iā€™ve always wanted to see a shiny or Gold star Starmieā€¦ I mean, the name! amirite?

1 Like

Ruby/Sapphire Expansion Pack- Mudkip, Treecko, Torchic (starters, first set, self explanatory)

Miracle of the Desert- Flygon, Tyranitar (sandstorm theme)

Rulers of the Heavens- Latios, Latias (Latis obvious choices, could also toss in altaria)

Magma VS Aqua: Two Ambitions- Kyogre, Groudon (obvious choice, main targets of villianous teams)

Undone Seal- Regirock, Regice, Registeel (set based around the titans)

Flight of Legends- Moltres, Articuno, Zapdos (fits set title and kanto theme)

Rocket Gang Strikes Back- Mewtwo, Gyarados, Pikachu (metwo controlled by rocket first, pikachu target to steal in anime, gyarados for lake of rage reference)

Clash of Blue Sky- Deoxys Attack Form, Rayquaza (these two seem to clash in the sky a lot)

Golden Sky, Silvery Ocean- Entei, Suicune, Raikou (add Lugia, Ho-oh if it isnā€™t cheating to have 5)

Holon Research Tower- Metagross, Alakazam (these two would be good at research, metagross the supercomputer and alakazam has 5000 iq )

Mirage Forest- Celebi, Mew (Extremely rare forest pokemon)

Holon Phantom- Espeon, Umbreon (idk where else to put, feel it fits. These two are pretty mysterious looking)

Miracle Crystal- Jirachi, Gardevoir, Milotic (jirachi found in crystal, Crystals are pretty, and so are gardevoir and milotic)

Offense and Defense of the Furthest Ends- Charizard, Dragonite, Salamence (fan favorite dragons)

World Championship Pack- Flareon, Jolteon, Vaporeon (same as is)

2 Likes

Since weā€™re theorymoning over Gold stars anyway, this is one of those things where it would have been so great if Gold stars werenā€™t discontinued in DPP. Imagine a set based on the Iron Island, one of the coolest spots in Sinnoh. Steelix, Empoleon and Scizor would have been perfect picks for that, 3 of the best shiny color schemes.

5 Likes

I like tyranitar in sandstorm! I may have to update mine

2 Likes

Love the Gold Stars, and love this thread concept.

Here are my picks:

ex Ruby & Sapphire: Latias, Latios

Chose these two because they were some of the first PokĆ©mon seen during the build-up to Gen 3ā€™s release, and the earliest Legendaries encountered in RSE.

ex Sandstorm: Aerodactyl, Tyranitar, Flygon

The apex fossil and two PokĆ©mon synonymous with sandstormsā€¦kinda speaks for itself.

ex Dragon: Dragonite, Salamence

The two most powerful non-legendary dragons and good bookends as pseudos of Gen 1 & 3.

ex Aqua/Magma: Nidoking, Milotic

Two popular Ground/Water types to reflect the two teams; both with excellent shiny colours.

ex Hidden Legends: Regirock, Regice, Registeel

Canā€™t be anything else for this set, really.

ex FrLg: Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle

This wouldā€™ve just been perfect.

ex Team Rocket Returns: Pikachu, Meowth

Meowth needs to be here really, and itā€™s as good a place as any to include Pikachu.

ex Deoxys: Deoxys, Jirachi

Space and stars.

ex Emerald: Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza

The trio finally facing off.

ex Unseen Forces: Lugia, Ho-Oh, Absol

This set is all about Gen 2, so the legends wouldā€™ve been amazing here. Absol is the warning of the unseen disaster to come.

ex Delta Species: Ditto, Porygon 2, Kecleon

All PokƩmon that can manipulate their typings at will.

ex Legend Maker: Arcanine, Mew

Oneā€™s ā€œlegendaryā€, but not a legend. The other is a legend, but not ā€œlegendaryā€ (itā€™s mythical).

ex Holon Phantoms: Alakazam, Mewtwo, Metagross

All analytical/research based.

ex Crystal Guardians: Celebi, Sableye

One eats crystals, and the other is only available in Crystal.

ex Power Keepers: Treecko, Torchic, Mudkip

The final crescendo of Gen 3; might as well celebrate it with the PokƩmon you begin RSE with.

5 Likes

I love how its pretty much unanimous the starters should have been GS in FRLG. Another cool option would be Mewtwo and Mew GS in FRLG, and then leave a slot for other pokemon in Holon Phantoms and Dragon Frontiers.

5 Likes

So far RS, TRR, FRLG and HL seem to be nearly unanimous with their pokemon. Unseen forces is split between starters and legends, and power keepers seems to be split between the elite 4 aces, and legend maker seems to favor those pesky mythicals

Others are more toss ups

2 Likes