Re-found my Alakazam, may be part of a test-print pre-1998

Didn’t the production manager of WOTC say definitively that the test sheets were not real? If so, I don’t think it is healthy to entertain them as authentic if they have already been verified to not have been printed by WOTC.

That I am not sure of. I have only read what has been given to me thus far, and the replies on my posts here. If it is fake, it’s one hell of a fake since it’s nearly identical to those sheets. Either way, I’m just glad I can finally learn more about this card.

I just read Rusty’s article, which is well written by the way, very easy to read, but it quotes the production manager in regards to the “test” sheets authenticity. Moreover, I remember a year or two ago when crazypokemon was the only one in town with the “test” sheets, they were without a doubt fake. It is odd that the same evidence used to adamantly tell crazy that they were fake then is now being overruled.

Oh yep. I had not read that one thoroughly enough apparently! Ehh, even if it is a fake, I’ll still love it all the same. It’s still super interesting to know that this real/fake thing existed, and I may have a part of it!

1 Like

Question for Rusty, or anyone who really knows. So I read the article on uncut sheets and enjoyed it. But why on the Base theme deck sheet, is there just 1 Raichu and just 1 Jungle clefable?? That I can not figure out. Anybody know??

She did. She made that statement off the few pictures that were on Flickr though. The one I have has a few differences from the that one as well. I want to send the sheet out there to be seen in person, I just have had no contact for 6 months. Like I say in the guide though - I am in no position to over rule what was said. There are a lot of questions to be answered that do not add up.

There were several reasons given why she deemed it fake. After seeing one is person, I just do not see how or why the sheet would have been ever printed, if this is so. The cards on the sheet itself have high quality stock exactly like what we know to be real. If such money was put into making these cards - how come they were never put into circulation? We have copies of the cheaply made fakes out there. Even now, a decade later, fakes are easily distinguished.

Having the same ink dial-ins for the color-bars is farfecth’d to believe happened by coincidence.

Fake or real - I think the sheet is sweet. It would be like finding a fake base set booster box if nothing else. I will make time this week to ask PSA about being able to verify the ink coatings. They have used similar techniques for disputing reprint and original print sports sheets.

It is fishy the way the info has come out on my end - which is why I have not made a post about the sheet on a forum anywhere. I wanted something more solid to go on. I never had any intentions of starting arguments about this stuff - but it would always end like that on Pokegym. There are a lot of questions for Pokemon items, and as I was given different information - I thought it should be presented.

I was the one to point out that it was fake - from what I was told. I even took other questions about possibilities to her in regards to the sheet.

Even then I still wanted one and did buy one at my first chance. Andrew ran the auction price up on me over $1000 haha

Seeing it in person, just raises a lot of questions for me. I would definitely like to have answers. With so many sheets from Base set available - I am betting if we knew someone else who had a good knowledge about printing plates we could get one.

I’m actually surprised we don’t have a former employee on one of these related sites. XD

We do, they prefer not to participate, which is completely understandable. Most ex employee’s are not involved with the hobby anymore.

Honestly, from looking at the Alakazam posted, there are too many inconsistencies to consider them real. The coloring on the boarder is off, and most importantly, the pealing at the bottom really stands out. That is something I have never seen before on an english card, especially WOTC cards.

I am all for speculating if something could be real when there is no evidence otherwise, but we would have to ignore a lot of reasoning and existing evidence to consider these real.

With that said, it is still cool. I wouldn’t mind having one just to compare to other sheets, cards and what not.

1 Like

It’s a long shot, but it would be nice if we could track down “D. Davis” (if such a person existed at WOTC) and see if he/she remembers these sheets.

I too have my doubts based upon what I’ve read/seen the last couple days, and the fraying around the card is a definite thing that makes me doubt that this could be 100% real. But like stated by smpratte, it’s still cool regardless!

its cool but its abit sketchy to say the least.its always nice to see certain random or odd cards.i do agree as a kid we didnt take much care for our cards just saw a holo COOL I LIKE IT or kept it.

Check these out: www.reddit.com/r/pkmntcg/comments/2ois7m/found_some_odd_pokemon_cardslikely_fake_but/

FourMakesTwoUNLESS just linked my reddit post above, I thought I’d provide more information.

Just like mattman23, I posted my find reddit first, so I have a reddit link and an imgur/album link.

Reddit

ImgurI’ve asked my girlfriend (these are her cards) and she has no recollection of where they came from. The list of cards is as follows:

Alakazam
Blastoise
Chansey
(3x) Clefairy
(2x) Gyarados
Hitmonchan
(2x) Magneton
Mewtwo
(2x) Nidoking
Ninetales
(2x) Poliwrath
Venosaur
(2x) Zapdos

Unless otherwise noted, there is just one of each card. They are all square cut, as you can see, and well constructed with a slight ‘weave’ to the surface. The holographic effect does not continue onto the yellow trim of the cards. As far as I can figure, they don’t fit most parameters of a “fake” card.

I am quite convinced these are real. The only red flag is not knowing where they came from.

A provenance on these would be so helpful. Did the holo pattern extend onto the area between the artwork and the yellow border in the officially released prints? I don’t have any 1st Ed/Shadowless Cards within reaching distance atm to check.

1 Like

Hey! I’m glad this is popping up again! I don’t have any new information regarding my cards, but hopefully this new set can give us all more insight into this. I’ll try to remember/answer questions if I can.

As a skeptic, I’ll weigh in as well.

There are no parameters for a fake. There are only parameters for a real card. This falls outside of those parameters, so there is a burden of proof here.

Just some questions to clarify where the conversation currently stands:

Have we determined that the different foil is officially used around that time on any other item?

Do we have confirmation of card stock being identical?

Are dimensions the same?

Have these ever been in the hands of proven, original sources?

Other than some strong similarities, what evidence is there that they are authentic and not awesome fakes?

Again, not trying to be hateful or anything like that. But it’s the kind of thing you approach with strong, educated hesitancy rather than optimism.

2 Likes

I’m willing to post up-close pictures of any details that people think might be useful. For the next day we have a DSLR here with a nice lens, so getting clear pictures (at least, better than what my phone can accomplish) is possible.

I have been messaged on here and reddit by people looking to purchase cards–I think we’re going to hold off on selling any until we determine whether they’re real or fake (if we can do that) and what should be done with them.

Nice call.

Besides, if these are confirmed to be real… That Gyarados is mine! DIBS! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Maybe Rusty will have an update. @thecharizardauthorty?

Another test that could be done is the rip test, to see and compare it to another regular card. I’d do it on the Magneton since it’s the least collectible in my opinion and you have two of them.

HOWEVER

Understandably, you should hold off till we get more feedback, but keep it in mind in case you have to do tests.