Rare but niche cards - Neo Destiny 1st edition Italian Shinings

Hi all,

Recently received back a PSA submission including a Italian 1st edition shining Noctowl (PSA 8) and a Italian 1st edition shining kabutops (PSA 9). Both cards are pop 1! (These are not my cards selling for a client) How do you guys view these in terms of valuing/pricing them as they are obviously rare in this language but also quite niche and incredible to have them in such good condition.

Thanks

Chris

1 Like

Maybe niche for you but not for Italian collectors. It does not take more than two collectors to make the price climb. I am collecting niche German cards and could sell one for 5000+€. After all, Pokemon is niche compared to many other collectibles; it is always a matter of perspective.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for your response. Absolutely I agree it only takes a couple of collectors with interest in the items for the price/value to rise. I was more looking for tips on valuing something like this as it’s so difficult with them being pop 1 and next to no sales data on 1st edition Italian cards.

That was exactly what I intended to say (but maybe too implicitly): Such items do not have any reliable valuation metrics as prices fluctuate too much due to what I said before. It is an illusion that we can determine reliable prices for such items. It is more important that the small target group of such items notices when such cards are for sale. If it helps you, here is my anecdotal evidence: I sold a German 1st Ed Shining Raichu for 3000plus last year. It was excellent. I also sold another for 500 (it was poor).

1 Like

Thank you that sales data is very useful to give some idea on these! Hopefully we can reach the right collectors/buyers for these.

Branching this topic out - are some (1st edition and unlimited) foreign cards(Italian, German, Portuguese, Chinese, Korean, Spanish, French) in high grades rare since they are usually in low pop or just that nobody bothers to grade them?

For example I saw a Jungle Unlimited Spanish Vaporeon PSA 10 on Goldin auction where it was a Pop 1. Is it that rare?

I don’t know about the Spanish jungle vaporeon, but generally looking even for ungraded neo sets in foreign languages seems tough to find! If you go onto eBay now and have a search there isn’t a heap of it available and most of the stuff that is isnt in great condition normally.

Isn’t this just because psa only started grading foreign wotc sets last year. People are still surprised to see dutch cards in psa slabs in the Netherlands. They might be actually rare or just rare in psa slabs because nobody has actually graded them.

4 Likes

I think this plays a part for sure, but I still feel 1st edition neo shinings in foreign languages in good condition are hard to find, have a browse on eBay there isn’t much around.

1 Like

I was after my Italian 1st Ed Shining Charizard for quite some time. The American buyers are not the majority from my experience. The other language cards typically go back to the collectors that speak the language.

People ask more for them sometimes, but English will always carry the premium until the low pop starts getting interest.

1 Like

I have done lots of research between the main grading companies, they are pretty low pop. Not many 10s at all across every pop report. BGS is typically the one that has cards scattered because they mislabel the languages or it’s entered like it’s English.

1 Like