Quick trivia about Keita Takahashi's Snorlax

Hi there. Let’s talk about this (at least, for me) beautiful and unique Snorlax card

(Picture from Ebay, unfortunately I dont have the card graded!)

I came back to the hobby during the pandemic, but originally in early 2000s I collected cards and play the game during the first two years of the TCG here in Spain (I stopped after Neo era more or less). So I missed a lot of cards, for sure, but when I found this one I feel in love. I like the art, but specially I was very intrigued by the artist name: KEITA TAKAHASHI.

Lets jump a few years, to one of my favourite games from the PS2 era: Katamari Damacy. I wasnt released in Europe, but you know, they where other methods to play stuff on that era :sweat_smile: So after try it for a few hours in japanese (I still cant take the main song out of my head) I loved it. I was obsesed with it so I try to found out what was the director or developer behind it, and it was a man called… yep, KEITA TAKAHASHI. This crazy dude created some other bizarre games such as Noby Noby Boy and Wattam, so when I discovered the Snorlax, something just clicked. Was that TAKAHASHI the same as Katamari series creator? Look at the simplicity of the cover of the game…

katamari_damacy_frontcover_large_lZ4XzFZMhZZVXZd

I tried to do some research but as I cant read japanese, I didnt find anything. So after almost giving up, I decided to do what I think it’s the most obvious of all things to do. So obvious that It’s seems to easy to be true… ask Takahashi himself on Twitter :rofl: :rofl:

And… well, this week he wrote me back :upside_down_face:

So that’s it, that’s the story. Probably no one cares except me but for some reason, I was happy thinking that one of the most unique and weird video game creators out there was also in late 90s a random japanese guy that simply liked Pokémon and ended up getting an illustration printed as an official card. If there is a moral in this story, probably its to ask directly to the source instead of trying to do research to feel like a detective or something like that :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

That was a fun read! Hey at least the snorlax artist received a Pikachu illustrator for their work! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Actually a cool story. I love that he actually replied!

1 Like

Didn’t the winners of the contest receive copies of their illustration in addition to the actual Illustrator? Is there a way to tell those apart from the Vending/Gift Set ones?

No, they are glossy and identical to the vending copies.

3 Likes

Humanforscale beat me to it! The Mr. mime winner shared their card and it looks like a standard glossy vending card.

3 Likes

Love seeing prize cards/ illustrators in their natural habitats. These pictures are what i love about efour.

1 Like

So we all have either vending copies or trophy-winning illustrations! I know which one I’ve got.