Questions you would want to ask an artist?

From my understanding, the vast majority of the card artists are freelancers (Arita, Morii, etc.).

2 Likes

Ahh, so they’re not even technically employed as full time staff for Pokémon. I guess that would make sense as that is how it tends to work for Manga and Anime as well here in Japan. I’d love to find some of their other works then if available. Maybe that’s what @effectspore is trying to get with the Kiris Aki artwork: Is it actually Pokémon related or just artwork in general?

“Are you a meme bot?” Think your signature says it all

1 Like

What sorts of instructions do you receive from the art directors? How much freedom do you have in your illustrations?
What do fans and collectors not understand about the artist or the work?
Which artists have influenced your own work or style?
Has Japan’s unique art history influenced your work?

1 Like

@stagecoach I’ve heard the “gave birth to mew” is more of a translational error or interpretation and would mean more like “gave rise to” rather than gave literal birth.

1 Like

“What is a Pokémon you haven’t drawn, but have always wanted to?” Would be fun to see.

2 Likes

Good one, I’ve definitely thought about it a fair bit these days as I’m doing my Masakazu Fukuda binder. I noticed small trends in Pokémon and typings. He has significantly more water Pokemon under his belt than any others, followed by fighting.

I guess some of my most favorite questions for anyone I meet whom im interested to know more about would all be ones sort of related to Pokemon, but more broadly related to them as a person as opposed to just things which pertain to what their job is. Reason being is I enjoy getting to know about the person as opposed to the works done, and usually those questions subconsciously end up giving away those answers anyway, leading to not just an answer but a better idea of the person as a whole.

Some of these might be simplistic like “When did you first discovered that you had a vested interested in being an artist?” or could be a bit more complex such as “What are you most grateful for in your lifes journey, whether it be job related or even externally found through a side hobby, venture, or life milestone”?

No matter who the artist may be, anyone who has a talent where said feat has made a big impact in something I do as a person is someone id love to ask things of these sorts. It allows me to grow closer to them, especially since what theyve created has already me grow as a person, and i human connect like that is what lifes journey is all about. :blush:

2 Likes

Man I love reading your wholesome wisdom Dizzle!

1 Like