Questions you would want to ask an artist?

Hello everyone! Finally joined in on a conversation briefly on discord haha! The topic was meeting artists and it made me go back to one of my goals for living in Japan : to try and eventually figure out a way to meet and interview Pokémon artists. Probably not an original idea, but living in Japan and speaking Japanese makes that goal significantly easier. That being said, still probably a crap shoot.

However! In the off chance it would be able to happen, I’d like to represent the E4 community with questions. This is probably the best place in the world to find good strong questions to ask creators. Not only is this for me though, if someone else is ever able to secure interviews with artists, this could definitely be a valuable resource for them to peruse. And it just seems like a fun topic to think about.

Anything seems okay, historical questions about card design, companies they’ve worked with in the past, differences between bandai, nintendo, and Pokémon company production style, etc.

An example of one of my questions :

Atsuko Nishida : How did your Pikachu design get selected and can you describe any of the competition’s designs you were up against if any?

I would ask them about the original art frames, dimensions, how they delivered them to the company, if they were told they will be buried forever in a chamber

2 Likes

Came here to say this.

Basically: “where is the original art and what does it look like?”

We know from Yuka Morii that anything she modeled was property of TPC and went into a vault. She never saw them again until the exhibit they did last(?) year.

1 Like

Some of these kind of go a bit off the artistic design track and more into the game design aspect, but these are all the questions I could think of that I and/or many others have always wanted to know about the original two generations.

1. Was Venonat originally meant to evolve into Butterfree, and Metapod into Venomoth?

2. Is there an association between Kangaskhan and Cubone and Marowak?

3. Is there a reason why a significant percentage of Gen 1 Pokemon were more monster-like and large and intimidating compared to Gen 2 Pokemon in which a significant percentage are smaller and more docile and less ferocious? (This is one I have noticed recently and makes me favor the Gen 1 designs over the Gen 2 ones.)

4. What is the meaning or inspiration behind the symbols on Xatu’s chest?

5. The original designs of Remoraid and Octillery were a gun and a tank respectively, giving the evolution line a weapons-based motif. Given the modifications of the final designs, is there a motif or correlation within the evolutionary line that can make sense of the vast difference between the two Pokemon?

6. Given the shared types of the original three Eevee evolutions and the three legendary beasts, is there an association between them? Is it true that the three Pokemon Ho-oh revived and turned into the legendary beasts were the original three Eevee evolutions?

7. Ho-oh is know as the Rainbow Pokemon, but is hard to decipher this characterization in the design. Was there originally a different design in mind more suitable to the “rainbow” label, or are fans missing something?

8. If Mew really was a last-second addition to the development of Red & Blue, then why is Mewtwo–who was added what we assume to be considerably earlier in the game design process–named as such? It seems that “Mewtwo” as a standalone Pokemon would be rather bizarre given its name and no presence of an original “Mew”.

9. Why were Charizard and Gyarados adorned with the Flying type instead of Dragon?

10. Was there originally an intention to make Arcanine an actual legendary Pokemon, as its title as the “Legendary Pokemon” would indicate?

11. Is there any association between Cloyster and Gastly, given the similarity between their faces and being right next to each other in the PokeDex?

10 Likes

We actually know some of these, or can make a strong guess.

As for Cubone, Marowak, and Kangaskhan: Yes, they were related. We know from the 2020 beta leaks that Cubone was originally part of a three-stage line, although only the back sprite has been uncovered (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ESrtUrBVAAQZ39X.png). However this third evolution plainly mimics Kangaskhan and also closes the loop on Cubone’s lore. Cubone wears its mother’s skull and cries out for its mother, which we now know represents its separation from the third evolutionary line. Kangaskhan, for whatever reason, was redesigned as a stand alone entity. But its position on Giovanni’s team (the only non-Ground type he uses) implies some abandoned typing.

There is still some conjecture here but it all falls in to place perfectly and the back sprite clinched it enough for me.

As for Mew, the idea for Mew itself was not a last minute thing, only physically including it on the cartridge was. The lore for Mew is still quite present in the game: Scientists discovered Mew in South America (later revised to “the jungle”) where it was captured and brought back to the lab on Cinnabar Island. They came up with the name Mew on the spot. It was experimented on and specifically “gave birth” to Mewtwo, so we know Mew remained captive and alive at the laboratory. Mewtwo, as it developed, was too powerful and destroyed the laboratory, leaving only the burned mansion. Mewtwo fled to Cerulean Cave and the whereabouts of Mew are unknown.

This is the official story of R/B and what exactly Mew was or what it looked like was probably originally envisioned as a mystery to be resolved in the future. So even if Mew had not been included, Mewtwo still would have worked fine because we still knew the entity of Mew existed.

The last minute decision to add Mew to the game had to have come with some expectation for how to distribute it. Since there is no formal way to obtain it, they had to have at least acknowledged it would need to be activated externally at some point. Since the same idea was later used for Celebi (who NEVER saw an international release) they probably had the “event” idea on the table even in those early days.

For why Charizard and Gyarados weren’t made in to Dragon type, the answer for this is probably as straightforward as game balance. Game Freak did not know what to do with Dragon type. They knew they wanted a “super” type that resisted all the major elements to serve as an endgame challenge, but since Dragon was conceived as a defensive type for the player to overcome its offensive potential was just a non-factor. There’s only one Dragon type move with low, fixed base power. There are no new Dragon type Pokémon in Generation 2. Back then Pokémon was still designed along the conventions of traditional RPGs so the natural composition of the PokéDex was secondary to the construction of specific challenges for the player. Dragon was a “boss type” — if the player had access to Dragons early this would have had a limited effect.

I still hold on to the Venonat/Butterfree thing, personally. The visual similarities are too strong and we know lots of evolutions were mixed and matched and altered. I hope we can have that confirmed some day.

5 Likes

Do you have to create multiple artwork ideas and the Pokemon Company decide the Best or can the Artist pick one?
Do you have to “compete” vs other Artists for a specific Card or is it possible to go for a Card when you have a great Idea for It?
Do you prefer Artists signing cards or not? resell etc
Komiya since you rock which young Artists you like the most that step up? ^^

2 Likes

Lots of excellent questions and a couple decent answers, appreciate both! Thanks!

How has creating artwork for Pokemon impacted your career?

2 Likes

“How do you do it?”

1 Like

I feel like for most them, this is their career, and that’s that. If typical Japanese career life is anything to go off, they will likely never switch careers either.

But I feel ya with that question either way. Maybe some of the younger artists would have a better response to this question seeing as Japanese career life is beginning to change with younger generations. Only the older generation is more or less strictly adhering to the one company for life model these days. Thanks for posting your question!

In what kind of context? Making the art? Coming up with ideas? Working for one company forever? Being a god of creation?

As an artist, I’d be intersted in an off-shoot of this question:

Has illustrating for PkMn impacted your artistic style or approach? How?

1 Like

Yes.

God of creation, got it👍

1 Like

@pigeonsyndicate, seriously, everything. I can’t imagine how someone can create such good art. I have tried drawing, and it is incredibly hard to create an image just from imagination. Copying an existing art of a Pokemon? Maybe. But imagining an entirely new pose? That’s hard. And that’s just the basics of the basics

@ripguyfawkes, haha I wasn’t upset or anything thinking it was sarcastic. Couldn’t quite tell if you were just trying to have fun or not, so I figured I’d play along. Internet is tough without facial expressions, ya know. But yeah, I agree, and to piggy back off of @xileets, I like that one a lot! that kind of ties in with the previous “how do you do it” question.

It’s pretty clear that they’ve got their own style and have stuck with it, but I wonder if they can point to any specific moment and say, “this piece made me change something in a big way.” That’d be really cool to figure out.

1 Like

I would like to know if there are any specific Pokemon that the artists like to illustrate more than others. On the flip-side I’d like to know if there are any Pokemon that the artists dislike drawing.

3 Likes

Love it! That’s a perfect question! Everyone’s got something they dislike about their job.

I wonder if there are any Pokémon an artist won’t or is not allowed to do based on stylization. For example, in Atsuko Nishida’s style, I couldn’t imagine Necrozma or that new weird dragon guy with lots of angles and geometric shapes whose name I have no idea…

I’m assuming Etarnatus is what you’re referring to lol I definitely can’t imagine what that would look like with Nishida or Sowsow with their softer styles. I also wonder how they decide which illustrator gets what Pokemon.

2 Likes

the question I want to ask an artist is “what do you want to ask me?”

2 Likes