PWCC account limited for shill bidding

Complete wild guess but I would guess it is some big consignees shilling their items and PWCC being held accountable or complicit due to the fact that they went to private bidding. Timing given PWCC moving some things onto their own platform is interesting as Charlie pointed out.

“Limited” is such a vague thing though. Nobody knows what that means until eBay elaborates or until PWCC makes a statement. I was just unable to list a fresh vault marketplace as others have said they couldn’t either. It will be interesting to see abut 9PM tonight if the new listings go up, and if the day 1 listings stay up that went live last night.

11 Likes

I have to think PWCC is going to be doing some heavy negotiations. I would be shocked if this was more than temporary. This is almost on the same level of market shifting conditions as PSA halting submissions. It significantly reduces liquidity, which is the undercurrent of the hobby. A large number of people purchase with money they earn through selling on PWCC. Sure, people can sell on their own now, but it’s a lot harder to list 100 cards if you don’t have hours to commit to it.

5 Likes

Same thought, the term “associated” can be interpreted in multiple ways. I’m guessing it’s probably the latter but unless something more detailed comes out by eBay or PWCC not sure we’ll ever know :man_shrugging:

22 Likes

I’d say in that way it might reflect in availability or pushing few sale prices up to a point that you find a few hours to sell them yourself

1 Like

When it says “individuals associated with” I wonder if that could be referring to consigners? Or if it’s referring to PWCC employees? The email is very carefully worded to be ambiguous, I think.

1 Like

It’s not as though PWCC is (was?) the only trading card consignment option, though. So I don’t see how this reduces liquidity – people will just consign with someone else.

Really hope that there is some more information released soon to minimize speculation. Although I’ve never bought or sold through PWCC, I trust(ed) the name.

3 Likes

This is very weird timing because I had a shower thought about this last night being the cynical person I am. I don’t use PWCC and have no familiarity selling with PWCC, so I’m basing this thought off of possible ignorance.

PWCC has had a lot of ATH auctions recently go unpaid, and I began thinking about how PWCC has no real incentive to not shill because if they get biters on the shilled prices, they just make more commission. If they get no biters on their shilled bids, they cant just turn around and sell it again on their next block. Pretty much no reason for them to track down secondary shillers either because it probably helps them more times then it hurts them.

I know this isn’t likely at all, but just a cynical shower thought I had yesterday.

4 Likes

PWCC just didn’t want to further contribute to the junk slab era :wink:

In all seriousness, if “associated” is referring to consignees bidding on their own cards, that is impossible to manage.

13 Likes

Just created a payout request and it’s showing the estimated date as next weds the 25th, not tomorrow. Seems sketchy.

Previously when I have created a payout request on Tuesday for the following day, it has sometimes given the date as the Wednesday after instead. When I asked about it, they said provided a request was made before the 11:59 cutoff, it would be paid out the following day and basically just to ignore the incorrect estimated date on the payout. So that probably doesn’t have anything to do with this and you will likely get paid tomorrow

2 Likes

Wow, that is huge. A very ambiguous statement though, in agreement that if it’s consignors shill bidding then that’s just impossible to manage, but if it’s PWCC employees thats unforgivable. The competition angle is also interesting.

Hard to develop an opinion with so little facts, but clearly the implications will be significant regardless of the real story behind it, which we will likely never fully know.

8 Likes

If I were pwcc, would I be happy that my balls are in ebay’s hands?

Matter of time before they shift out of ebay imo

5 Likes

As someone who basically only bids pwcc auctions these days as it consolidates all of my time into a single couple hours per month, I cannot wait to move off of ebay. I hope pwcc undercuts them on them on the % too ;p. Bad news: no more Gixen =/=/

2 Likes

PWCC chat support “Currently replying in under 5 minutes” taking longer than 15 minutes to connect.

Will be interesting to see what happens this month and next month for any auctions.

Man, I just sent 2 cards to PWCC a few hours ago :sob:

2 Likes

wth is going on

2 Likes

Do you think this has any implication the validity of storing at the vault? Or just reselling through PWCC marketplaces?

Way too early to tell

1 Like