PSA OC grade?

Assuming the front is basically flawless and centered, how much does the back being crazy off-center impact the grade? And can PSA assign an OC grade off the back being off-centered, or do they only issue that if the front is OC?

According to their verbiage for a PSA 9 (since a 10 is out), "Centering must be approximately 60/40 to 65/35 or better on the front, and 90/10 or better on the reverse. Does that state, in the case of pokemon, that something like the card below could receive a regular 9 grade and not an OC grade?

Out of curiosity, what card is this? I love OCs and haven’t seen this before.

CoroCoro Mew

2 Likes

I’ve been doing some scraping of PSA’s pop report data today and I can give a related fun fact: the CoroCoro Shining Mew has the most PSA 9 grades with a qualifier (OC) than any other Pokémon card; there are currently 34 of them!

4 Likes

The front looks perfect and centered, so the OC back didn’t bother me enough especially at the price I paid. I plan on getting it sent in next month, just didn’t know how the OC is calculated. If both the front and back need to be OC, or just one of the two?

Anything could happen with those parameters. I’d waaaaay prefer a PSA 9 grade assuming the back fits the 90/10,
My guess is, if all else is perfect, you’ll get that straight PSA 9.

1 Like

If the front is centered that won’t get an OC

I’d say this is 90/10 or better. 90/10 is quite off center.

1 Like

I don’t see why collectors want the OC grade. I sports cards that’s a “con” to have. I prefer mine to be centered, but that’s just me.

I see GEM MINT Pokémon’s videos and he try’s for the OC grades. I just don’t get it lol.

I don’t get it either but, then again, it does expand the market so it’s all good.

1 Like

I should clarify that, I don’t want an OC but I would take it over say an 8 if it’s a toss up between the two grades.

Anything that expands the hobby is perfectly fine with me too. The more the better.

This is really interesting. I’ve noticed that many of the CoroCoro Shining Mews that are up for sale online are off center as well.