PSA misgrades

hello,

Today I received another psa misgrade purchase… My question, does a seller need to show the crease in the card that PSA missed, or is it the buyers problem? I’m so sick of buying psa 8/9 cards that have creases, it happened like 5 times now already and I’m done with it now.
I contacted the seller saying the card has a big crease and it’s clearly a misgrade, asking why he didn’t show that crease when selling. And all I get back is psa 8 is psa 8, not my fault. I’m pissed that people don’t show these flaws when selling those cards. But I might be wrong, before I try to do anything else I would love to here thoughts on this. Even tho the psa label stays the same, it feels like a scam not showing a crease. And wtf is psa doing man, lazy graders should get fired, but that’s a whole other story.

thanks for reading

ebay’s buyer protection will let you return it. people on this forum take issue with returning a PSA graded card just because you disagree with the grade PSA has given but I feel like it if it’s a big enough oversight (bends, cracks, dents) there’s nothing wrong with doing it.

alternatively you can get in contact with PSA. I believe they will regrade the card and give you the cash difference.

Mind showing pics of the crease?

1 Like

@goldy I would say for sellers with large inventories it’s sometimes difficult to second PSAs judgement and check every card coming in, especially one of lower value,

Always depends on the circumstance but wouldn’t label the seller as trying to misguide you immediately,

On the other hand, some sellers just don’t care so really depends on sellers priorities,

2 Likes

He bought a PSA 8 card. He got a PSA 8 card. It’s a shit situation but it’s all on PSA IMO. You can’t fault the seller when 3rd party authentication was created to avoid condition disputes between buyer and seller. The card should be sent to PSA for a review. Attach a copy of your invoice and PSA will make you whole as well as removing the card from the improper case. They would also cover all shipping fees, the only thing you’d lose would be time which still sucks.

For what reason would you lodge a return on eBay? IMO if you use “item not as described”, or “item damaged” you are abusing the returns process, however eBay would never be able to comprehend or back up that claim. If however the seller allows returns no questions asked then you are in the clear really and I’d just be sure to mention it to the seller. No honest seller would sell it on again IMO and most valuing their time would want to rectify the situation themselves with PSA.

3 Likes

Yes, I forgot the 3rd option of just politely asking for a return.

yup, use PSAs financial guarantee if you are not happy. i’ve owned 500+ psa 8/9 cards in my history and have never come across a crease so what i can say is feel really sorry for you to come across it 5 times, the odds of that is 1 in billion!

Does anyone know how easy it is to use eBays money back guarantee? I’ve got a card that definitely isnt deserving of its grade and really wouldnt mind using it but can’t find any useful information on it

Contact the seller first, ask him if you could return it and that you would like to pay the return shipping. Mention the part about you wanting to pay the return shipping can help it go smooth enough. Honestly the best way to do it, because if its a judgmental thing, different people have different ideas on what a grade should be and its not really the seller’s fault.

This doesn’t fall under the scope of the eBay guarantee. This is because the card is actually as the seller described. A PSA 8. Sellers don’t claim card condition, they just defer to the 3rd party opinion. That is the part that is wrong, not what the seller is saying.

“If your item hasn’t arrived or isn’t as described, go to My eBay, find the item in your purchase history, and select return or item not received within 30 days of delivery.”

It however does fall under PSA’s financial guarantee of grade and authenticity though.

“If PSA, in fact, concludes that the card in question no longer merits the PSA grade assigned or fails PSA’s authenticity standards, PSA will either:

2.Refund the difference in value between the original PSA grade and the current PSA grade if the grade is lowered. In this case, the card will also be returned to the customer along with the refund for the difference in value.”

People need to step up and start taking care of cards that are misgraded. It’s a pain in the ass, but when you return it to PSA you remedy the situation and when you return it to a seller or sell it on then it stays out there giving more people a pain in the ass. Make it PSA’s pain in the ass by sending it to them as they cause the issue to begin with.

3 Likes

Ebays money back guarantee is them just saying that if there is an issue with your order (whatever that means in the situation) you will be able to return it and get your money back.

Oh shoot! :blush: Yeah I meant PSA’s guarantee, not eBays, its been months since I bought it so I wouldn’t be touching eBay anyway. I’m a bit hesitant to get in contact with PSA quite yet as last time it *literally* took them 8 months to respond to my email and this wasn’t even during their move, so I’d already sent a message to Ludkins last week to see if they could help me with sending it to PSA/taking care of it. Just trying to get some more info! :blush: Definitely want to get the false pop rectified.

The best thing to do is to return the card to PSA and get the grade corrected. Send their customer service an email with clear pictures of the card, the grade, and the crease. They should give you a shipping label and you’ll be able to send the card back for review.

This is the best course of action for two reasons:

1. You make sure that the card is removed from circulation. If you return it to the seller they may just relist it and sell it to the next person who may not take as close a look at it.

2. The blame is put where it should be: PSA for grading the card incorrectly, not the seller for selling the card to you. Ideally sellers should review all of their cards and make sure the grades are at least not radically off, but sellers shouldn’t bear the responsibility for PSA’s mistake. As @gottaketchumall mentioned, they listed a PSA 8 card and you received a PSA 8.

@goldy, Upload a photo of said crease. I find it hard to believe there is an epidemic of “creased” cards with 8-9 grades. I have graded 10,000+ cards and have yet to receive a psa 8-9 with a crease.

In relation to “sellers not showing creases”, this is simply a time issue. Any seller or working adult doesn’t have time to meticulously examine every single card they paid a company to examine. I barely have enough time to even respond to this post, let alone check over 10,000 graded cards for potential creases. Either way, the seller is not declaring condition. PSA declared the condition. Your beef is with PSA.

8 Likes

WORD!!!

1 Like

5/80 of my 10s have dents in them sooo…

1 was pinched, 4 were dents. These were from sellers that will submit pretty much everything so the dents are likeky slipping by, whereas I’m sure you wouldn’t be sending modern cards without being sure its a 10.

2 Likes

sorry I haven’t had the time to read all these responses, I’ll upload pictures tomorrow with imgur. The psa 9 I received was a crystal charizard holo, with an amazingly big crease in it. The reason why I made this post was about a e3 red cheecks pikachu psa 8 with a crease on top of the card. I also still have a gold star mew psa 8 with a crease in it, and I have had more. Maybe you just didn’t send any creased cards in of that 10.000?:stuck_out_tongue:

also, if you don’t have time to check those 10,000 graded cards for potential creases, how can you say you have yet to receive a psa 8-9 with a crease?:blush:

I understand what you say about the time issue, however not everyone who sells cards is a big time seller with no time, or a working adult with no time to check for these creases before listing them right? There are a lot of people in between with enough time to check the few cards they are selling. I understand a lot of sellers could miss it, but a lot of seller don’t. I agree the “Beef” should be with psa and I’m not attacking any big sellers, but I do think sellers should be honest about their misgrades, if they know about them off course. But it seems to easy to say, people don’t have time to check for creases, they are busy, move on.

don’t get me wrong, I love graded cards by PSA, it’s just this situation that sucks. If I would ever sell these cards I’d be honest about it.

I didn’t buy it on ebay, it was an instragram purchase. I noticed most people think you’re a time waster if you want to return anything, but I agree it all depends on the reason of the return, however this was not ebay and I don’t want to open a paypal claim even tho I paid goods. I contacted the seller since I couldn’t believe he missed it, be he claims he did so then I created this post.

I never knew I could contact PSA to fix all this. they re-grade it I guess? How do they value the card?

thanks for your reply

totally agree! I will invest some time in how to fix all this with psa. The seller isn’t responding anymore so I guess a return is no option. This was no ebay sale. I’d take the card back tho if I missed a crease, which I can’t emagine, but that’s a different story. I’ll get in contact with PSA, thanks for your reply!

As with many things in life it is a negotiation process. They will likely offer an outdated or low number from either their SMR price guide or a very brief eBay search. Do your own research and cite your own evidence as to why it’s worth more than whatever they offer. They have been reasonable and gotten to my number (as I’ve stayed higher, but still reasonable) in all my negotiations with them. Especially if you opt for discounted service or vouchers they can take care of you well. Opting for a check hurts them a bit more I think.

2 Likes