PSA Grading Tiers and Upcharging Question

Hey all,

I’m getting ready to submit a bulk TCG order to PSA ($15 per car, value less than $199), and I had a quick question:

I have a few cards that almost certainly will not grade low enough to be valued at less than $199 (Neo Discovery Umbreon and Japanese Base Set Charizard), but does it make sense to include these cards in this bulk order rather than submit separately? Is there any downside other being upcharged to a higher tier?

The other option is that I could submit them with a bulk sport order ($19 per card, max value $499) that I will be submitting in the near future. Then they would be graded alongside a bunch of sports cards, which worries me a bit that the grading may not be as accurate.

What would ya’ll do?

1 Like

I would just submit them with your bulk order if you’re not worried about the turnaround. If you get upcharged it’s ok, but I’ve also seen cards worth multiple thousands slip through

2 Likes

The main potential upside is that they might not catch it in which case you’d get away without being upcharged.

The main downsides are that the lower tiers have a longer turnaround time, and your cards can only be insured for the max declared value of the tier in the event that something goes wrong.

I think we’ve all sent things in that have the potential to be over the declared value. Usually if you’re reasonable about it, you won’t get an upcharge. Don’t worry about sending it with sports, that won’t mean a sports grader is grading your Pokémon cards, it would still go to the appropriate department.

6 Likes