PSA card population

What is generally considered low pop nowadays?

Modern cards are easily hitting close to 10k pop in psa 10 nowadays.

Lower than 1k?

The denominator is the number of buyers

12 Likes

its whatever you want it to be tbh.

usually cards that have very few graded in 10 and or are very hard to grade in 10 get the treatment “low pop”. there is no real hard number to define low

2 Likes

Pre 2020 low pop actually meant low pop…like sub 100. Nowadays who the hell knows

2 Likes

nowadays I just think of it how much demand is in that era and that’s generally how the scaling of population works.

the definition of low pop also varies from person to person nowadays too

2 Likes

What @pfm and @thsigma said. Buyer demand + PSA 9 to PSA 10 ratio = the real “low pop” factor.

2 Likes

Depends:

Modern: <1000
Vintage: <100
Trophy: <50

1 Like

I mean, absolute low is still low.

Relative low depends on demand.

I don’t really think you can say you have a low pop modern card whatsoever. Unless it straight up has a handful of copies made.

2 Likes

I was looking through the pop report for some cards I recently submitted to PSA; I was surprised to seem them around 100 or so. These are mostly hard to grade old back promos which are hard to find mint, but still sell for very little in PSA 7-9.

For cards that have become far less prevalent over time, a few hundred copies is enough to satisfy demand. That number was probably considered high pop 5 or so years ago.

It’s just hard to keep that in mind when there are checks pop report 76,550 ETB Charizard Vs graded by PSA only.

To me low pop is a card < 100 PSA 10 and hard to grade.

I remember there were quite a few cards during Covid that gained a ton of traction and popularity that were low pop and people spam psa 10’d them and now they are pretty high pop now.

1 Like