PSA 8 1st edition base set holos

I decided my first project as a collector would be 1st edition base set. You can find PSA 8 examples of the holos around $200 each still, sometimes even a bit under. I’ve been snatching up as many as I can to complete my set. I feel like PSA 8 are way underrated. Thoughts?

2 Likes

Collect what you love!

If you’re worried about the future value, you have chosen the safest set. It’s pretty much only up from here.

Buy the expensive cards first. Get that Blastoise and Charizard. The longer you wait, the more it will hurt!

2 Likes

I figured it’s the safest set in terms of investment plus the nostalgia. I was collecting pokemon cards as a kid during the base, fossil and jungle era.

I’m doing a side collecting of graded electrodes as well.

Very good advice. The first card I picked up for my base set was the charizard. I do need to pick up that blastoise while I still can.

I just completed my PSA 8 1st edition base holo set. I had completed PSA 7, but PSA 8 still has the bottom threshold of a card with gemmy qualities, whereas 7 starts to realize more obvious wear. I wish I could go for all PSA 9, but it’s just a tad out of my price range.

Doesn’t really matter what grade you go with for 1st edition base (for holos), you will still get a good ROI so just get what you can afford!

2 Likes

Its the smartest thing to do right now. If you guys didnt know, PSA has been downgrading 1st edition base set holos for minor imperfections because of the boom of this set. They’re watching the prices. I got a PSA Returns some weeks ago where cards that deserved 7’s and 8’s got 6’s and worst. So getting the 8 cards before they skyrocket is obvious because the 9’s are getting too high. The 8’s and 9’s are earning old gem mint 10 prices from a few years ago, but it really doesnt matter the grade. Just get them before its too late…

That implies that newer 8s are better quality…

1 Like

What are you basing this information off of?

1 Like

Yeah, I think that’s kind of a stretch to say PSA is downgrading cards. They don’t do that “just because.” That would be detrimental to their business. If anything, I think they’re going too light on the old WOTC cards. I honestly find it fascinating that legit holo scratches on a card can still earn a 9, and in some cases, a 10.

His one submission… Duh #TinHat

1 Like

#ZOLTAN!

Do you have any evidence of this that’s not anecdotal?

I keep hearing that PSA is artificially giving lower grades for 1st edition base, but all the “evidence” I’ve seen is “I submitted these cards that should have been PSA x but got PSA y instead.”

2 Likes

This proves another point because their grading is inconsistent. A line scratch is enough to drop a card a whole grade but why doesnt their grades reflect that the whole time. I know theres human error but there’s no reason for somebody to get a 6, and then send it back and it gets a 10…

PSA does not give an f what grades your cards get. Your $200- $500 card is not worth manipulating the grades over. What does PSA have to gain by reducing the number of available NM 1st ed cards?

To PSA, Pokemon is basically a cute little side project to get a bit of extra money. Additionally, they are basically not even able to keep up with orders based on how many are being returned late. Do you think they’re like cross-referencing a list of cards to grade harshly every time they get an order?

But who knows, I could be wrong. Common sense suggests PSA has no motive to purposely be down-grading particular cards though.

5 Likes

I understand where your point is coming from, however as @teraz stated this is entirely anecdotal evidence. Meaning you cannot declare this as “fact.”

Please state that this is your opinion for future responses as misinformation helps no one and misguides fellow collectors.

2 Likes

This is just ridiculous! LOL

Think about what you’re saying here… At the top of the pyramid, you have Collector’s Universe - A MASSIVE COOPERATION! Within C.U. you have PSA (Professional SPORTS Authenticators). I’d love to have some rough figures, but Pokemon is a TINY FRACTION of there overall business. Sure, they’re “the standard” for Pokemon Grading. However, they’re still lacking a lot of knowledge in-regards to these cards - heck, we can’t even get a label with “4th Print”. But Yes, they’re trying to control the 1st Ed. Base Market - give me a break! LOL

2 Likes

They dont have to cross reference anything. These see the damn cards everyday and know what they’re worth because they put values of their cards over the site all the time. That shouldnt be their concern. I dont know if my comment has made you or some people salty, but you cant deny that they misgrade cards all the time.

That’s the point. Your opinion is they’ve gotten strict, based on your experience, but that doesn’t translate to: “they ARE more strict”

1 Like

PSA is not one person. The people establishing the value of cards are very likely not graders. Unless it’s a $10000+ card the graders probably don’t care/have no idea the value of half the stuff they’re looking at. I can barely keep up with the value of a lot of things and I’m pretty deep into this hobby.

There’s a huge difference from claiming “PSA misgrades sometimes” to “there is a systematic effort to grade certain cards harshly”. Also, feel free to call me salty if you wish, I’m not going to bother with petty personal accusations. The reason I replied is that I can’t just sit around while ridiculous statements with zero evidence go unchallenged.

3 Likes