Pokemon VHS collecting - what do we really know?

Current sealed Pokémon VHS collection pictures:

I am going to start documenting everything that I am learning about Pokémon VHS as I am collecting and researching them. The focus will be on the items themselves and not on the content of the items.

Indigo League

The first release of VHS consists of 26 VHS released between Dec 13 1998 and Jan 23 2001.

It is broken down into 2 distinct “series”.

1. Volume 1-17 (17 VHS) ; features the red spines
  2. Volume 18-26 (9 VHS) ; features the yellow spines

IMG_0050

Hype Stickers

IMG_0048

IMG_9524
IMG_9523

IMG_9527
IMG_9526

UPC

The UPC can be located either on the top, on the back, or have no UPC. For the items with no UPC, the assumption is that they were bundled or packaged together, and sold under a combined UPC. Based on data gathered, I have found the following results :

I suspect that there is a possibility that they all have no UPC variants, but given the relative rarity of some of the older volumes, I have not been able to confirm yet.

Power Pack / Combo Pack

These are 2 packs that are packaged in sequential order. For the Indigo League after the first Volume, the VHS were typically released two at a time (Volume 2 and 3 were released at the same time).

It would appear that for volumes 1-10 these two packs were used as a way to sell more of the previous overstock. They would package a new release with the last volume in the previous release. Volume 1 (released Dec 98), would be packed as a 2 pack with Volume 2 (released Mar 99), volume 3 (Mar 99) would be packed with volume 4 (May 99) etc.

This sequence happened until volume 9/10, when they released 8/9/10 Sept 99. They packaged 7/8 like normal, but then also released 9/10. Bringing the sequence to packaging a 2 pack of the current release. For logistics reasons, it makes a lot more sense to do it this way, so you aren’t relying on held back inventory on the prior release.

For 2 packs 1-10 they all have the power pack stickers. For 11/12, I have not seen the power pack stickers despite seeing what appear to be retail barcodes supporting the 2 pack existence for the later sets.

Holiday Gift Pack

This is a prepackaged set that includes a carrying cases with 3 sealed VHS.

There are two variants, one with a yellow case and the other with an orange case.

21 Likes

I recently bought the first and second movies in VHS just cause they display so cool and all things considered, they are actually very reasonably priced in this hobby. For anyone else thinking about it the barrier to entry is really low (used in great shape no idea about sealed but for me a VHS isn’t worth the premium for the seal).

1 Like

I think @droripory can be of insane help given his very impressive collection.

Cheers!

2 Likes

usually people collect more of the indigo league rather then orange islands and forward.
most of the valuable VHS are the indigo leagues where the final volume friends and rivals is the rarest and also the into the arena volume. i use IGS if you want to grade the VHS yes there is BGS and CGC nowdays too but IGS were before all these graded tapes. there is also VGA for VHS as well.
also the VHS of the first and second movies are very valuable and i also got the japanese copy. i got 2 none sealed japanese indigo league VHS graded.

if you find any indigo league japanese sealed it is very rare since in japan they were rentals mostly.there is also the rare VHS of the then toys r us promo for pokemon. i believe i got the best condition one that there could have been found.
IGS grades the VHS with a seperate grade for seal and the box itself.
CGC gives the seal grades of A, B and so on. VGA gives an overall grade as well as BGS with sub grades for different categories.
i have the second movie VHS sealed which i have to send to be graded.
if you find a gift box with volumes 1-3 it is very valuable as these will get high grades and volume 1 of indigo is also valuable.

when looking for a sealed VHS one of the important things to look for to know it is not resealed is the pioneer watermarks either on the back on the side or the botton of the seal.

here is what i got so far :

13 Likes

whatever you do hold on to/grade the volume 1 the one with charizard on the cover and poke friends which are the most valuables from what i see you have. also if that toys r us promo vhs is sealed in good condition is very rare. i got mine off ebay it was the best condition there was there and it still got 7.5-7

2 Likes

I had bought my toys r us promo signed by Veronica Taylor, it was the first and only VHS that I owned for years and years!

2 Likes

Lately I have been focusing on buying ones with hype stickers. It seems like they are available enough to be picky at this time.

Not sure if they will be more desirable in the future, but that’s what I like!

Anyway to know if the hype stickers are the first prints?

well not that i know of. though if you see in some of my photos there are ones graded as “uncirculated”. those come from the gift packages. there were only ever 2 kinds of them produced. one with volumes 1-3 and 4-6.

1 Like

super cool niche collection!

Yeah they are cool, I have a sealed orange one, I’d love to grab a sealed yellow one!

im afraid there is no way known to know if its first release. hyper stickers though is another way to know if the VHS is really sealed or resealed as sometime there are real sealed ones without pioneer watermarks

1 Like

Is there any documentation on the seal types / which are okay without watermarks?

not that i know of but the look of the seam (the plastic) should be tight you should look at the edges, look for hyper stickers on the VHS and such. if there is something you are not sure about let me know and i can help.

Are you on IG?

dror.rahamim.1