Pokemon Red Graded 85

Have the chance to buy the following locally. Not this exact copy but another 85 graded Pokemon red. I’d love some feedback on fair prices for this in USD.

i.ebayimg.com/images/g/jb8AAOSwnSBea~kW/s-l300.jpg

maybe just test it out in a gameboy to make sure it works and then go for it

8 Likes

Don’t know much about graded games, but anything under 2k would be great. I remember the raw blue copy going for 1k about last year. And its been around those prices for years. So maybe its better to hold off on larger purchases, since a lot of these sealed games have doubled/tripled in the last few months from sitting at the same prices for ages. I have a few of older sealed ds games that have been sitting at 100 for a couple yrs, now in the last few months 2-400. I don’t see the demand sustaining. Lots of stores are also gutted out of games too

There is a VGA 85 Black ESRB rating one up for “auction” on instagram and the current highest offer is 4.2k USD. White ESRB is the earlier print run so maybe a little more than the black one? Hard to tell how the market feels about the logo as they’re both so rare in good condition it may not matter much.

Because it has Charizard on the cover this is the most desired one of the 3. And that is a pretty good grade for this game.

Depending on how much you are willing to spend I think this is a great investment even if you have to pay 3-4k for it

As long as you don’t plan on selling it for a while or ever

How do you know if its worth getting a game graded or not? How strict are they with good grades? Forgive my ignorance :pray:

For scarce popular games like poke red and blue it’s almost always worth getting graded sealed unless your copy went through the washer lol

1 Like

If you go on the WATA website it’ll show you picture examples of each grade. Pretty useful but obviously doesn’t apply to how all the games will look. Some games could have one big flaw but otherwise be perfect and receive the same grade as one with overall light to moderate wear. Kind of like psa giving a 6 maximum for a card with a small crease but I’m not exactly sure how wata or vga would grade a game that was perfect except one large flaw.

Also the VGA 85 Black ESRB Pokemon red 83% fiber Y fold box sold for $4,550 on Instagram.

They are very strict with the grading but as long as you have a sealed copy even if the box is crushed or the seal is not perfect I would still recommend getting it graded to preserve the condition and to maximize the value.

In 2015 I remember finding plenty of Pokémon red blue and yellow games sealed for $200 each easily
At the time I thought they were overpriced and I didn’t buy a single one
Boy was I wrong and it’s one of my biggest regrets in investing in Pokémon