Pokemon Poker Cards

Alright, I finally had some time this afternoon to put together my discussion points:

While most of the packs and decks have known release dates, some of the early Nintendo Playing Card decks either have none recorded publicly or their releases are considered to be an extension of an existing release. I was curious and attempted to view unknown release dates through the lens of context in hopes of narrowing down dates.

But before we go into that, let’s start by learning about the Japanese barcodes before becoming acquainted with the products.

I didn’t know much about barcode functionality, so I looked it up and came across a webpage which has the following breakdown, which is helpful.

I often refer to most products by the last 3 digits of their Product Code, I do this instead of the full five as the first two digits are the same across all products within those we are discussing. But let’s move on to the products.

Twin Packs

First, we have the twin packs. As far as I am aware, there are two twin pack releases, which I have called the “Green Packs” and the “Red Packs”.

The Green Twin Packs have the Pokemon (Venusaur & Charizard) rotated away from each other on the front, and the coloured background halves on the front design appear green to red from left to right. The front design is more tightly compacted, and the energy symbols are in the lower half. The coloured sides show red to green on the reverse side, and the packs on the reverse side show cards from the green deck at the top and red at the bottom.

The Red Twin Packs have the Pokemon (Charizard & Venusaur) sitting flat and in the upright position on the front, and the coloured background halves on the front design appear red to green from left to right. The front design has improved spacing, and the energy symbols are in the upper half. The coloured sides appear green to red on the reverse side, and the decks on the reverse side show cards from the red deck at the top and green at the bottom.

Both twin packs share the same barcode number, but which came first - the Green Pack or the Red Pack? To be honest, I am not certain, but these are the reasons I think the Green Packs might have come first:

The official webpage had green shown first (background image [green to red], banner [same order], card placement matches the reverse side of the Green Packs)

The Game Boy game advertisements showed green first and displayed the rotated Pokemon design.

And if you are wondering which of the two packs has the most out in the wild. The answer is the Green Packs.

Single Packs

Next, we move onto the single deck format.

308 Decks (Red & Green) V1

I refer to the first of these as the 308 decks (from their barcode). They are the first known single decks of Red and Green. Both of these decks (308 red and 308 green) share the same barcode number. 308 decks feature the classic simple artwork and design, which is in harmony with the twin packs. Green displays Venusaur, and Red displays Charizard. After this point, all decks are individually barcoded.

319 & 320 Decks (Red & Green) V2

Next, we have the 319 and 320 decks, which feature Charizard and Venusaur. 319 and 320 feature updated designs. The Pokemon silhouettes floating around the Pokemon have been replaced with full-colour images of the Pokemon, and each main Pokemon on the front appears much larger. They contain solid colour behind the title, and by removing the silhouettes on the reverse side, the design was simplified.

351 & 352 Decks (Yellow & Blue)

Moving on, we have decks 351 and 352, which are in the same design style as 319 and 320 (version 2 of Red and Green single decks). These are considered continuations and were advertised as new additions.

To my knowledge, there isn’t anything in the remaining decks that isn’t straightforward. We also know their release dates so I won’t describe the decks, but you can view them in the image above.

Let’s move on to the interesting research regarding release dates.

The following is a list of the known release dates:

Meaning the early packs through to Ruby/Sapphire.

The Twin Packs:

The release date of the twin packs is early December 1996. It is very unlikely that both of them were released at the same time. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a sizable gap between the two twin pack releases. Perhaps they were introduced with the redesign of the Red and Green packs (319 and 320). As far as I am aware, there is no discernable difference between the cards inside.

The 308 Decks:

While certainly the earliest individual packs of Green and Red, they are not noted as part of the initial release on the webpage. There, it states the playing card decks come in a set of Red and Green, and with a price of 1,000 yen (compared to the 500 yen for single decks). I haven’t come across a release date for the 308 packs. The cards they contain are considered to be a part of the same release as the twin packs, given they contain cards from the same decks.

The 319 and 320 Decks:

The dates for these decks are also unknown. We know they sit before the 351 and 352 (Yellow, Blue) decks, and collectively they share the same design style.

The 392, 393, 394, and 395 Decks (3D series):

These were released on Friday, 18 December 1998.

The 455 and 456 Decks (Gold and Silver):

These were released on 01 February 2000.

The 493 and 494 Decks (Gold and Silver Part 2):

These were released on 20 December 2000.

The 648 and 649 Decks (Ruby and Sapphire):

These were released on 28 March 2003.

Plotting out the barcode range

I plotted out the barcode range on a simple x-axis, from the first known barcode of the Nintendo Playing Cards, being at least one of the twin packs, through to Ruby and Sapphire. The axis is in sequential order and provides a visual which shows the gaps between product releases. It’s quite interesting:

I then thought about the aforementioned dating by context and how it might work.

I came up with a method of estimating the release date of a barcoded item by searching for barcodes in close proximity and referencing confirmed release dates to place the item in the context of other known releases.

But would it work?

Well let’s look at the cons and pros first.

Cons of this method include the fact that it may not provide a completely accurate chronological order, since release dates can be delayed. Additionally, the low frequency of product releases means that the sample size may not be large enough to provide a high enough level of detail to establish certainty. Finally, some products may retain their original barcode numbers when they are refreshed, which can further complicate the dating process. Oh, and not all assigned barcodes have been recorded to query from barcode databases.

Despite these limitations, there are advantages to using this barcode dating method. It can provide a broad insight into the release timeline and give us a view of other interesting products that were available at the time. Plus, it can be a good bit of fun.

To perform this method, I first researched barcode functionality to gain a better understanding of how barcodes are structured – which I mentioned earlier. I discovered that by knowing the syntax of the barcode, we can move backwards and forwards in the registered barcode sequence, provided we know the checksum digit. This digit is random and can range from 1-9, but brute-force techniques can be used to generate all possible combinations and enable retrieval of available results.

There are many free and paid barcode lookup services available to check against.

Here are the available results (note, this covers the range of unknown release dates):

What can we conclude from this?

Well, nothing with great certainty. It does appear to support the story that while one of the twin packs was released early Dec 1996, the other red/green packs seemingly followed in the months/years after, instead of a concurrent release across all red and green packs/decks.

When we do see concurrent releases, the barcodes are typically clustered together in direct succession.

So while all red/green playing cards are considered to be from the 1996 release, the other decks themselves appear to have been released later.

Again, there’s not much to go with here and it’s more just a happy exploration – one which would probably make most people’s eyes gloss over.

7 Likes

Ah, i now see what you meant with your question. I did think about how they will decide what pokemon goes into what deck but for some reason that never crossed my mind even though it looks like to be perhaps the only logical solution. Also interesting to see in future then more netz decks pop up if that deck formation indeed is the only one or if more combinations exist!

2 Likes

I thought that too, but I’m unsure if that’s actually the case cause I didn’t see “double” Gold and Silver decks, but I’m pretty sure those are “random” too like the Red and green…
For what I’ve seen so fare, if I Remember correctly, From the Ruby and shappire decks cards “stops to be random”.
But maybe I’m just missing the double Gold and silver decks. Maybe there are just 2 kinds of each deck alterning some cards inside of them From RG to GS2.
I’ll check this in the near future

1 Like

Using Ruby and Sapphire as a quick example I’ve posted before.

I’ve only seen two combinations of each deck (that’s four in total for RS).

I’ve looked at just about every sold/available listing for them in the past few years, which lead me to believe that these pre-determined combinations are all that were released.

It’s worth mentioning that there’s no outward indication of multiple combinations across the decks. There’s nothing stated on the packaging, nor does the website suggest it either. However, the website does show two samples of cards from one of each of the combinatory decks.

I’ve labeled them using the “featured” titles I previously used in my aforementioned post.

Knowing this information made me presume that it’s likely the same across the other decks, which, to some extent, appears to be true.

There are definitely combinations.

Unfortunately, I don’t have the time to compile data on all of the decks at the moment.

Regarding red and green, I would be curious to know if the releases of the six green and red individual decks had combinations that changed as time went on (earlier decks containing differing combinations) - which may not necessarily be release independent, but across a few at a time.

Or is it possible that red/green decks have base combinations with potential for a few evolutions rotating?

In any case, I can’t imagine that they are product-release exclusive combinations.

Although, as the red and green decks had more releases, there’s more potential for the appearance of overall randomness through possibly issuing more combinations.

But the cost of satiating my curiousity is more than I am willing to pay in time at the moment, so for now my knowledge will have to remain incomplete.

@joponnes Yes, it will surely be interesting to see if the combination is the same for all Netz decks.

6 Likes

I got these playing cards called Pipipi Adventure (Magical Pokemon Journey).

And some Pikachu bootleg cards.

7 Likes

The magazine ‘Ciao’ is one of the three major manga magazines for elementary and junior high school girls (along with the magazines: Nakayoshi and Ribbon ).

As part of the February issue of 1998, Ciao released these playing cards to promote the manga series ‘Pokemon PiPiPi Adventure’ (with the three p’s abbreviating the cute characters contained within the story:
Pikachu,
Pippi (Clefairy),
and Pudding (Jigglypuff)).

I’ve attached some photos of the release for the record.

Front
Side

13 Likes

Just adding another probably bootleg here (no copyright date):

2 Likes

Writing some small findings here, first this photo of full Toyota Netz deck list, should be only this one deck with no varying pokemon?

Also learned from @Typhlosion_Collector that at least some cards in gold & silver decks apparently have variants, it’s only minor difference of dex entry numbers but still a recognizable variant. Typhlosion has variants (157 and 157A numbering) but what i’ve gone through cards it looks like for example grimer and muk don’t have these kinds of variants.

Also posting that there are fake decks of at least the green 3d decks so if you are looking for one and it looks too cheap it may not be authentic. Found a seller on ebay with multiple decks where the cards inside look completely different and also are written in korean.

And lastly a question if anyone has seen any playing card decks where the card layout looks similar to the card below? It’s a bootleg one but i remember going through ebay once and seeing a deck where the cards looked exactly like this, only with playing card looks with card suits and numbers but foolishly i didn’t save any photos from the listing. I’m not sure if the deck was authentic but i would like to at least learn more of it since it had muk included. If it’s not authentic it’s funny that there probably is a bootleg playing card deck where someone took the layout and made another series of different bootleg cards from it :slight_smile:
Screenshot_20231028_231240_Gallery

7 Likes

Surprised I never saw this thread! Absolutely love the different variety in all of these.

6 Likes

Same! Very detailed and well covered! Wish we had info like this on every single non-tcg item😢

Ps: is there any info on the exact year of the Netz Toyota variant release? And how it was distributed?

2 Likes

Also, a fellow Mewtwo collector by the insta name of @mancmewtwo has this mini card. Anyone knows about it? By thebperforated borders i would guess it may be a magazine insert but no idea.

4 Likes

We’ll work on that sooner or later (more probably later)

Sad part is that what I currently know is on the thread, we’ll work on that too, sooner or later (more probably later)

Poker/playing cards are a whole different Beast from other non-tcg, I’m sure there are lots of types I’ve not faced yet and so never reported them here (especially bootlegs), but I think it’s just a matter of time (and efforts) that I currently can’t put here.

Yeah, It looks like something already discovered but the info around them are quite non-existent by now, at least not by me

It’s on my to-do list to fix this and other threads a bit, this one specifically while “looking complete” is kinda cahotic in my eyes and needs adjustments.

I don’t have enough time and energy at the moment (and with moment I mean, probably more than a year, I have another big project absorbing me, outside E4), anyway I already talked about this intention I have about this topic to the appropriate authorities here on E4, we’ll make It good. Somehow, somewhen.

I’m glad it still serves its purpose even in this form, and I apologize for not being helpful here anymore, I promise I’ll come back editing with more Info

5 Likes

Did you ever end up finding more information on these cards? Picked up these today:

Front-

5 Likes

Not yet :frowning:

3 Likes

Haven’t had really time to research these, those are the exact cards i too have but still looking for if they are based on some playing cards

2 Likes

Thanks for the deep dive. Very cool to see the different decks over the years.

I had one of those anime poker decks that I probably got from a swap meet or random shop in LA. Those are so nostalgic to me.

3 Likes

Have they made any poker decks recently? Haven’t found anything online

3 Likes

Not sure about poker, but I did come across these old maid decks recently:

5 Likes

I have a Pokémon Center Nagoya poker card set in my collection

5 Likes

Sorry for necroposting, but I did run across a Gyarados card while trying to find what keywords to use on Mercari to find these poker cards. It seems to be part of the Ruby Sapphire decks as seen in this listing. Unsure if you’ve found this out by now but hope I could help.

https://jp.mercari.com/en/item/m75337380801

1 Like