Pokemon in 10-20 years

So…Pokemon is nearly 20 years old now (gulp) - where do you guys envisage Pokemon collecting and gaming will be in the next 10, 20 or even 30 years from now?!

Now it’s approaching 20 and still going strong it’s definitely a part of pop culture and not just a fad like other things from the 90s. What do you all think?

1 Like

It’s interesting…I honestly have no idea. Nintendo/Game Freak is definitely keeping things fresh, especially with the release of Gen 6 and Mega Evolution. Pokemon itself seems to be doing what it needs to do to keep a strong fanbase, both drawing in young kids and keeping those who grew up with the franchise (most of us) satisfied.

It’s a tremendous marketing and business success, so I don’t see it going anywhere for the time being. The only thing I can possibly see happening is just a slow death I suppose. Where some new thing comes in and steals a lot of the Pokemon fans, or time just takes its toll. Pokemon won’t be around forever, that’s for sure. But it’s in a very good place now and I think that it will continue to stay there for at least the next 10 years.

2 Likes

I’m in agreement with fourthstar, as stated pokemon has established itself aa more than just a passing craze, 20 years is impressive! Even so, after they stop producing the cards, it’s not the end, the second hand market for cards is fairly big now and I think that even after the potential slow death of the franchise the second hand market will still go strong. As people who were into the cards as kids start to get jobs and income etc, who we shall say are kind of half a generation behind alot of the users on here, they will start to get back into it as alot of us have, I can safely say I tucked my binder away for at least 10 years before I decided to collect again, and I think this trend will follow. So to conclude, even if the franchise dies and the cards stop, it’s not the end at all, especially if we all stay put :blush:

1 Like

All I can think about is I will be 44 in 20 years.

And @garyis2000 will be even more grumpy, and probably be having another kid. (Love you Gary)

9 Likes

Well said @woolsluk!!

Luckily pokemon is a Nintendo product. Nintendo never lets their characters die. Look at Ness. He was in one game on the super Nintendo not including the Japanese releases and the kept him around. I remember playing the first ssb and unlocking him wondering who the f is this? The cards are just the same. They figure they will indure the down time and profit when it gets big again since they have the big characters that will always sell. That’s what I think anyway.

1 Like

Godzilla turns 61
James Bond turns 62
Star Wars turns 38
Mario turns 34

2 Likes

Pokemon has established itself to be in the likes of Mario, and I don’t see Mario going anywhere in the next 20+ years. Mario gets quiet for a while but then will have a big release and get real hot, its consistent because it has a loyal fan base and has done nothing wrong to turn away the casuals (the live action movie was terrible though). I think Pokemon will continue to do the same, especially when those who grew up in the phenomena of the 90’s are starting to have kids of their own. Pokemon has a great balance between the video games and TCG, many fans do both. I don’t think the TCG will ever get as low as it did from about 2002-2007, and the games are already considered “retro classics” and deservingly so.

2 Likes

Wow, I consider some of the best cards ever printed to be in that 2002-2007 period. Some fantastic ideas, mechanics, and artwork came out of that time period.

1 Like

Sorry, just to clarify I meant low as in low popularity, not many people were collecting much at all then! A lot of people will agree with you on those points you made

2 Likes

ROTFLMBO…
UPCCCs greatest wit;)

1 Like