"Pokemon Card 151" Set - General Discussion

The internet would be boring if everyone agreed with each other, but clearly the internet really took that idea and ran with it…

Was just genuinely curious what people look for in a nostalgic set like this one. I’m more on the “thank you sir” side of things, where I’m just grateful I will be able to think of 10 year old me opening a set from 20 years in the future and seeing every single card through that lens.

I’ll withhold my final review of the set until I see the secrets, but I’m already pretty happy with how it’s playing out – but won’t deny you make some great suggestions as far as reimagining WotC era cards, star foil holo, etc

2 Likes

Like what 25th Anniversary Collection did in 2021, I think wishlists involving reimagined vintage sets are more likely tailored to anniversary releases. New eras are designed to be nearly all-new

Last ‘reimagined’ set before was SM6b Champion Road, which was basically Neo to PCG era cards reskinned into Sun & Moon card format

2 Likes

Not really. I enjoyed it, but the 25th Anniversary collection was a hash-bash of straight-reprints including Pokémon beyond the first 3 sets, as well as some full-art reimaginings of classic Pika promos. I was talking about an entire set comprised of full arts stylised around the originals.

If TPC is offering up a set called “151”, it somewhat goes against the grain of all-new. Whether that falls as an anniversary release or otherwise, I’m going to have certain personal wants and expectations. All-new art is exactly what I like to see, just not how it’s been presented so far in this set, to which I’ve described what I would have liked to have seen instead. You can still have new era mechanics, but presented in a “better” (in my subjective opinion) way artistically. That said, having seen some of the new full arts I may well end up changing my mind by the end of the reveal.

1 Like

I just realized there’s a Blastoise in this pic lol

4 Likes

And Ditto.

Dit

9 Likes

illus. Tomokazu Komiya

39 Likes

Hell yeah. Love 'em!

4 Likes

Artist collectors are eating good in this set. Sowsow, Komiya, Arita cards really delivering.

Edit: mixed up this set with the previews from another, so no Yuka Morii yet!

11 Likes

Chef’s kiss

1 Like

Wait we have a Yuka Morii reveal?

It feels like Komiya is trolling us with this one lol.

13 Likes

Didn’t we? Am I confusing it with another set preview?

Its strabismus like the Fossil Gengar holo :melting_face:

8 Likes

Komiya traversing the dreamscape to bring us these masterworks

Overwhelmed at the sight of these. This man! This friggin’ man! And I feel it may be a nod to the don, Keiji.

16 Likes

That Haunter is S tier. I know he’s supposed to be looking out of a window, but it almost looks like he’s pulling back the fabric of reality. Awesome.

9 Likes

double entendre

1 Like

Very excited for this one

illus. KG2000 (new artist)

Indie animator, they worked on some of Zutomayo’s music videos

https://twitter.com/komugiko_2000?s=21&t=93Bi2PxFezQ0Zhtkf5hgSQ

Looks like the card is connected with this illustration

https://twitter.com/komugiko_2000/status/1351562824913358848?s=46&t=93Bi2PxFezQ0Zhtkf5hgSQ

20 Likes

i think its safe to assume this set will feature the most diverse collection of artists of any jp set so far. at least it feels that way.

2 Likes

Pokemon should make a hedgehog.

8 Likes