Please help, how do you do an interview?

I work in Human Resources and a lot of my job is conducting interviews, so I have a decent idea of how they work.

I can give general advice, but if you want some real specific advice, I would recommend telling us what the job is so we have a better idea of what the interview will be like.

Otherwise, I feel the best way to give you advice is not so much telling you what to do, but rather, giving you a better idea of how recruitment and interviewing works from the employer perspective.

I say this because every job has a different way to recruit/interview. For example, how I recruit for an Senior Accounts Manager is very different than how I recruit for let’s say a security guard.

To give you a rough idea of recruitment/interviewing:

A good recruiter essentially looks at a job that they need to fill and they try to understand what people suit it and what people don’t. They do a series of interviews (usually more than 1) to assess a person to see what they have and what they don’t have, and ultimately try to fill the role with a person they most feel is suitable.

Let’s take the example of a senior accounts manager. What would we be looking for? Generally somebody who’s a really good people person, who knows how to listen and assess the needs of the client, who knows how to sell, and has a solid grasp of business fundamentals. Who’s not good? Probably somebody who has poor social skills, doesn’t really understand how sales work, doesn’t really grasp how managing the accounts translates into business objectives, etc.

So if I am interviewing somebody for that job, there’s a few different things I’ll pay attention to.

I’ll ask them questions about their previous experiences that can potentially tell me how they’ll act in the future, that’s the theory at least. These are called behavioural questions and they are quite common, so I recommend before your interview, try to have somewhat of a mental list of situations where you faced adversity or tricky situations and specifically what you did to conquer them. I may ask them about a time where they had a difficult experience with a client and how they reacted in that situation. Depending on the job/their experience, I may ask them to recall a very specific scenario, or make it more general. I’ll often ask a situation that would occur in the job I am hiring for. If they dealt with their scenario in a good way that we’re looking for, that’s a good indicator of how they’ll act in this job, usually at least. They can lie too though so…as a recruiter I am always looking out for that because very rarely will people say seriously negative things about themselves.

I’ll also pay attention to how the interview is going socially. Are they easy to talk to? Can they sell me on them? Recruitment is basically how you can sell yourself via an interview. If they are just a breeze and super pleasant to deal with, I’ll take that into account. If they aren’t pleasant, just not enjoyable to talk to, etc., I kind of put myself in the shoes of a client and let that take into consideration.

A big part of how I recruit is going into their resume and I ask them about their previous jobs. That’s a good indicator of where they are at in their career (does it match this job?), how they have acted in the past, etc. If you have some situations where let’s say you quit a job with zero notice, and that job is on your resume, expect them to ask you why you left that job and have a good reason.

A security guard for example, is a much different role. The job requires a completely different skill set. There has to be a good degree of assertiveness, but at the same time a level of customer service because they are dealing with the general public. They need to have good decision making, and need to be considerate of others. They also need to be able to represent the company well. There’s also a physical component in that they are often standing for hours. Plus, they have to deal with crazy hours sometimes, often graveyards etc. So a job like that is a lot more basic and I’ll ask more straightforward questions.

Additionally, you also gotta consider how many people are applying for a job. A big aspect is your region and what the unemployment rate is. If the unemployment is really low, that means there’s too many jobs and not enough people. That means the employee is in the power position, where they have tons of jobs they can choose from. If unemployment is really high, it means the opposite - too many people and not enough jobs. The employer is in the power position then because they’ll have tons of people applying for their single job and they get to choose the best one.

For example, depending on if your job is more entry level or how competitive it is, the recruitment will generally be more strict or more lenient. If it’s super competitive, expect a grilling haha. Well, a friendly grilling, but they’ll be critical of everything you say. If it’s not super competitive, very often they have to reduce their standards, so they’ll be a LOT more lenient.

So, essentially what you want to do, is look at the job your applying for, and try to estimate “what is the recruiter looking for?”. And then you highlight those aspects through interview questions and your behaviour about yourself. And then hopefully they’ll like you and pick you! Haha.

I laugh about that last aspect but it’s very true - there’s also huge biases and whether the interviewer simply likes you is huge. So if you already know the interviewer, or let’s say it’s a referral, you got a big head start.

Company culture is also huge, and whether you’ll “fit in” with the others (your colleagues). This sounds silly but honestly, it’s probably one of the most important aspects, if not THE most important aspect depending on the job. Being able to get along with other people at your work is HUGE. I’d argue it’s more important than the actual job, depending on your position. I’ve seen countless people who, had amazing ideas, and were super intelligent, but simply did not get along with others and could not persuade them on their ideas, so they weren’t super successful. I’ve seen the opposite too - people who quite frankly weren’t that special, but rise up the ladders quickly because of their great people skills.

So if you know what the general “vibe” is like of a company, or how people act in that company, try to act in a way that’s genuine and yourself, but in also a way to show that you’ll fit in. For example…are they casual? Formal? Like to joke around? Serious? Etc. You don’t need to be a robot that assimilates, but you gotta show that you can get along with people.

Also expect them to ask you questions about interpersonal interactions with others. A VERY COMMON question is “tell me about a time where you had an interpersonal conflict with another co-worker? how did you react and what did you do?” The answer is to tell them about a time where there was a normal disagreement, and you dealt with it in a way that ended up with everybody happy. That’s the ideal at least.

There’s also general trick questions a lot of companies ask. One big one is “what’s your biggest weakness?”. It may also be asked as “Tell me something about yourself that you’re working on” to mask it. Honestly, I’ve contemplated this question for years now and I still don’t know the perfect answer because I don’t think there is one! It’s sort of a lose-lose. Many people will try to give you a strength masked as a weakness which just comes off as pre-planned and disingenuous. For example, I’ve heard “I’m so detail focused” soo many times that I just know it’s bullshit lol. The best answer is probably telling them a weakness about yourself that’s not TOO harmful or bad, and saying it in a way that shows your humility. But don’t say something that for example…is required for the job. If let’s say the job requires a lot of detail, don’t say “sometimes I forget about the small things and I make mistakes more than I’d like”. Big no lol. Also don’t say something that indicates your lack of social ability - because that’s a huge one. If I get a red flag that the person probably won’t get along with others, I probably won’t hire them. Say something that is a weakness about yourself, and indicate how you’re working on it, but make sure it’s not a huge deal lol.

If you really want some GENERAL basic advice, try your best to relax and be yourself. It sounds silly but it’s true. If you’re not suitable or ready for a job, the recruiter is doing you a favour if you’re not selected. If you are selected, then congrats and you did it! Either way, it’s just a job at the end of the day.

And also…while you may have everything prepped and planned and all good - don’t be offended or take it too seriously if you don’t get selected! Maybe try to take a small lesson from it but don’t harp on it too much. Because sometimes…companies just may not hire you and you may have no idea why. Sometimes there’s no real reason!

I find this for me helped me relax a LOT…because at the end of the day, it’s not 100% in your control. You don’t know the interviewer, you’ll never know exactly what they are looking for, and you don’t know the culture until you’re in it. So what can you do? You try your best, hopefully you’ll get it, if not no worries :blush:

I hope this helps and wasn’t too long-winded! Feel free to ask more questions as, well if it’s not already obvious, I find this stuff pretty interesting haha.

3 Likes
1 Like

This is great advice. I interview a lot of doctors as the chief dental officer and recently have been flying around the U.S. interviewing for specialties myself (partly why I’ve been kinda absent for a few months besides family issues).

Be the best version of yourself. They will know if you’re BSing them. Be confident and be yourself. You are cool! You are awesome! You are who you are. Don’t try to be anything else. Don’t tell me what I want to hear but say what you feel you want to say. When you’re driving in your car, go through questions that they might ask you. Just so you’re not caught off guard. “Tell me about yourself, why this company, why this position, where do you see yourself in 5 years/10 years, what are some difficult situations and how did you handle it, why did you get a poor grade in this course and why, ethical dilemma you had to handle, why we should select you, how you would handle the department etc.”

I’ve had other odd questions like, “Stuck on an island with one person and one thing, what would they be.” Those are fun. Oh and if someone asks you if you love to read and you say yes, please have a book title and author besides Harry Potter! lol

Like anything you get better the more you interview. :blush:

-Matthew

1 Like

Drink lots of caffeine before you go in and basically sell yourself to them. Be confidant in yourself! Obviously they see qualities in you they like!

Best of luck!

1 Like

-dress neatly (haircut, shave)
-smile
-eye contact
-hand shake before and after
-pleasantries
-dont stress yourself too much

1 Like

One additional thought,
I do all I can to get the job before the interviews over. You can lose it by then. May as well win it by then;)

1 Like

You’ve got plenty of interview advise. I’ll give three general life hacks for you.

If the company has a way you can socialize with the employees do it. Talk to as many of them as possible. Make it look like you already know everyone. Try and talk to the interviewer about some of the employees.

Do pattern breaks. This a verbal technique to set yourself out from the rest of the crowd. My favorite one is it open the conversation with ‘if you can guess my name/birthday correctly I’ll give you a dollar’. You can do other things like being playfully objective, refuse to answer a question for a brief moment then answer it. This is good if you need more time to think of an answer, do not laugh first. The key is to let the tension of the patter break build them let the release of the tension be you answering the question, not you smiling/laughing. Pattern breaks are just a fun way of making you different/fun to be around. The only time they don’t work is if you have a stiff sitting across from you.

Maintain eye contact. Of course try not to stare, and don’t give an intense gaze. Make sure you have a smile especially in the beginning. If you can sense that the interviewer is getting uncomfortable break away for a moment and return. When you return you’ll be able to hold the eye contact longer. Eventually, you can get to the point that you’re holding it continuously. This is a weird human connection trick. You’ll have people open up to you and feel comfortable simply because You’re giving them your eyes. I think there’s something like only 25% of the time men hold eye contact in conversation and women are at about 30% in America. If you’re holding well above in a non intense/threatening way you’re going to stand out.

These three tricks will automatically make you different than your competition which makes you stand out which is half the battle. Being qualified for the job/fit for the company is the other half.

2 Likes

Bookmarking this thread just in case i might need to search for a new job’

2 Likes

I was giving an extra thought to this post and I must said that you have presented really good points regarding what to do or not do in the interview. Moreover, we have been able to read some people advices that have a deep understanding in this topic, which is incredible!

A couple weeks ago, I was preparing for an interview, and one of the questions I prepared was: ‘Do you have any hobbies?’, a question I think is feasible to be asked.

At the beginning, I was dubitative if I should mention that I am a collector, a card collector, or a Pokemon card collector. As you may know, this hobby can be considered by some people as childish. But I the end, this is one of the hobbies I enjoy the most and I dedicate more time, and last but not least, allow me to develop some skills. This is what I came up with:

• Consistency: I always try to read new information, dig in older post, fill the enormous gaps of lack of information I have… And I do this almost every day. Research new cards, prices development… The more you know, better decisions you are gonna make.

• Patience: wait for the “right” moment to buy, wait for the release of this new card you want, wait for the answer from the sellers, and wait for the packages to arrive… Wait, wait and wait. If we rush in our decisions, we may make some mistakes.

• Communication: we discuss ideas and opinions on the forum (I’ve just started), we have to deal with the people we sell or we buy, unpleasant conversations, arguments…

• Negotiation skills: we have to discuss prices or trades with other people and try to reach a win-win situation. I must say that I improved in this field. At the beginning I didn’t negotiate, and that lead me to overpay for some cards, now I am able to say NO, and renegotiate the price. Though there is a long path for improvement.

• Prevision: I have set a budget for the year, and I try to stick with it. I cannot spend everything at the beginning of the year, because new products are released almost every month. You never know if you are gonna like the new products, so better be prepared.

• Determine the future value of an asset: from the investment point of view, which products are more likely to increase in price and which don’t.

I will be glad to read your thoughts regarding this. =)

1 Like

How did your interview go? :blush:

Not good I think. :sweat: It was an online interview, in which I was recorded, no human interaction. There were three questions in three different languages, and I only was able to understand one of them… jajaja Though I asked them in advance about that and they said that it was ok.

Anyway, I should be contacted before the 18th if I pass to the next interview. Otherwise, keep looking for new offers. =)

1 Like

Sorry to be nosy, but what career/job was the interview for? It is super strange to me that they didn’t have a human doing it.

I get my interview on Tuesday. Super nervous, but all of this advice has been super helpful. Thank you guys for all the help!

1 Like

It is for a management position in an airline. The recruitment process is quite long. In the first step I have to record myself for 6 minutes in total answering 3 questions, which later on the recruiters watch. The second step is an aptitude exam, the third a group interview, the forth a personal interview and finally a panel interview. By the way, I have my exam next week: =)

It is a tedious process despite being for an entry level position, but if gives different opportunities to show them the best of you over the amount of candidates they have.

You will have to tell us if you finally get the job! =)

@sandmantheenless, regardless of what the interview is about, you should always never over-think about any “if’s”. Just show up to the interview with an empty mind and just ride it out. Don’t think about the questions, react to them. I’m the same way. I’m horrible with making eye contact and frankly, my vocabulary sucks. Don’t be nervous man. Just have a little bit of confidence and you’ll be fine

1 Like

Just had the interview last night and thought I would give a quick update on how it went. We spoke for around 50 minutes, primarily about leadership, my work experience, and kind of “my fit” type questions - I found it interesting that grades/test scores/class rank did not come up at all. The only real academic stuff that he was interested in was how I explored my interests, education and economics, outside of class. I spoke briefly about Pokemon and my ROI, IRR, and net profit for it, but surprisingly he wasn’t so much interested in that, and was instead more interested in that I am self-teaching myself AP macro and micro economics. (For some reason I thought that there was a high probably that he was going to ask a technical question like “Describe the role of bankers in IPO? and how did Spotify disrupt that?” but luckily he didn’t :grin: )

Overall, I greatly appreciate all of the help and advice on this thread and a special thanks to @silversnorlax204 , @alecpokemon , @papershredder955 , @cullers , @sinos , and @pokemondentist for their insights.

Thank you guys so much for all the wonderful help and advice listed. I am always amazed at how warm, welcoming, and just overall awesome this community is.

You guys are all dope AF and this community is something truly special - I am really grateful that I am a part of such a cool bunch of people.

P.S. I will here back from from Vanderbilt on their decision by the end of March.

4 Likes

Sounds like you did the best you could! Great job.
Yes you’ll often find that jobs care less about your academics/grades, and more about your social experiences. It depends on the job of course, how technical it is etc. The more technical, the more they care about your grades.
Every interview is usually a great experience, even if you don’t get the job. Being interviewed is really a skill, and each time you do an interview you’ll learn something new and more. In turn you’ll get better and better and that will open up more and more opportunities.

1 Like

@sandmantheenless I’ll give you major props if by the time end of March comes, whether you get the job or not you call them up and ask them for feedback on your interview. Wost case scenerio they deny the request, best case scenerio they tell you how to improve your skills, giving your far more insight than any of us can.

3 Likes

Because this is my first interview, getting feedback is going to be super helpful. I will definitely ask when the time comes.