PCA Grade Graded Pokemon Cards

Grading Pokemon cards with PSA or BGS is a real challenge if you don’t live in the states. Cost of shipping overseas is fairly high, it takes a long time and the risk of losing expensive cards is definitely not negligible. Not to mention the potential of getting charged absurdly high import duty on your own goods. In the last few years however, a few TCG grading companies have appeared in the EU. One of those being a French service called PCA Grade. A while ago I sent off some of my cards to test the waters.

Here are some key details about their service:

• Their grading scale goes from 1-10 with the addition of of 9.5 and 10+. 10+ is their BGS black label equivalent.

• The return times are 35, 20, 7 or 2 business days, each increasing in price (9, 12, 15, 39) €

• They also offer authentication without a numerical grade, which is slightly cheaper.

Pros:

• They grade foreign cards of any set.

• They grade FPO cards.

• In my experience, they’re very responsive on Instagram.

• They’re willing to add missing sets to their registry. When I wanted to grade my FPO zard, the set wasn’t in the registry yet. They added it per my request.

• The holders are very sleek. They fit Pokemon cards really well and are considerably smaller than PSA slabs. Their thickness is the same as two regular toploaders stuck together.

Cons:

• The labels are in French, regardless of the graded card’s language.

• Their website is quite annoying to navigate as it’s originally in French. They have English translations, but they’re very inconsistent and don’t work everywhere.

• The pop report is not browse-able. You can only check it if you have a cert number of that particular card.

• Since they’re new to the scene, they aren’t as reputable as PSA or BGS

Size comparison between PSA and PCA slabs:Slab size comparison

With all that said, here are some high resolution scans of my PCA graded cards. I personally think some grades are different than what PSA would have graded. This is solely based on my experience with around 30 PSA slabs from my collection.

[SPOILER: Click to show](javascript:void(0):wink:Grade example scansThe following scans are only a portion of all the grades. The ratio of grades I disagree with is not representative, because I included most of the cards I had thoughts regarding the grade. There were twice as many cards that I completely agreed with their grade.

Shining Steelix PCA 7
Agree with the grade. Visible scratches on the holo and strong whitening on the top back.

Razquaya ex PCA 9
Agree with the grade.

Team Magma's Rhydon PCA 9
I strongly disagree with this grade, because of the nasty dent at the top. That alone would have killed the grade at PSA. They might treat dents differently on their scale though. I feel it’s fine as long as they’re clear on it and consistent with it.

Delta Sceptile ex PCA 9.5
Personally don’t think this one deserves a 9.5 grade. The print line across the bottom and along with the strange stain in the middle and some micro-scratches should definitely detract more from the grade.

Sceptile ex PCA 9.5
Honestly don’t see why this one didn’t get a 10. Don’t see any flaws with it.

Charizard FPO PCA 9.5
Agree with the grade. Could potentially regrade to 10.

Kabutops PCA 10
Agree with the grade.

Swampert ex PCA 10
Agree with the grade, at the same time I think Sceptile ex deserves it more.

In conclusion, while they could improve some aspects of their service, they’re definitely on the right track. The holders are sleeker than PSA and BGS slabs. Grading multiple languages makes it possible for European and other foreign collectors to properly protect their non English cards. The service also makes grading much more accessible to EU citizens.

8 Likes

I love the cases! I have a couple. And the grades are on point.

1 Like

Which ones do you have? Haven’t seen you post any on your gram

I picked up a PCA karp a year or so ago… Really pleased with it! I also love the case, its nice and slimline.

BGS, PCA , PSA by Simon, on Flickr

I just made a new post with them :blush:

Does anyone know why PSA refuses to grade foreign non-base set/non-worlds promo cards anyway?

1 Like

I wouldn’t want them for resale. Just to hold onto? Why not :blush:

I’ve been wondering the same myself for a long time. Some things I can think of:

• They already aren’t able to keep up with just English and Japanese
  • They don’t have the resources to investigate whether a card is official or not in non-English/Japanese languages, since they primarily use Bulbapedia as their source in the past (from what I’ve heard)
  • Too lazy?

I dunno. I don’t really understand it either. Especially because they do grade the foreign Base Sets (and some promos, like the Pikachu World Collection or foreign Art Academy cards to give some examples).

Greetz,
Quuador

Maybe they concentrate solely on the condition of the item and not on authenticity. It’s up to you to determine what’s fake.

This is the only situation where I would use this service but I’m glad it’s an option.

What are great service for people in Europe. I’m sure it will take off as a nice competitor if they keep it up and do what PSA does not. Very interesting for sure.

The key I think is for them to keep doing everything PSA does not do in order to gain notice and praise. Give PSA a reason to be better, competition is good.

4 Likes

As PSA doesn’t grade other languages other than English and Japanese apart from Base Set, I probably should test them with some Portuguese cards… hmmm

2 Likes

Great review, thanks! Will send off some german cards to test them I guess :blush:

1 Like

9.5 interesting grade, the 10s must be immaculate for them to distinguish between the 2 grades

There is also a 10+ grade

PSA tends to have a pretty broad range with 9s from my experience. I’ve seen 9s where the card could almost get a gem mint 10 and it probably would eventually, if you resubmitted it. On the other hand I’ve had 9s where it was clear what was holding it back from the highest grade.

PCA’s 9.5 is the former and 9 the latter. Whereas with 10’s it’s really clear that they are pretty damn near perfect. I have yet to see the 10+ grade in person, but that one really does have to be immaculate.

Go for it! Definitely tell me how you like it once you get em back

1 Like

Really nice review! I’ve seen those cases before but didn’t know anything about them :blush:

1 Like

Given how often peple claim weak and strong 9’s for PSA, I personally do not have an issue with this. It could account for the difference between a strong 9 with a single white knick and a 9 with a factory line or a couple white knicks.

1 Like

@mareee, how would I go about getting some cards PCA graded as an American?