Paranoia time: does it hurt the packs?

Hello, I just need an opinion about the way the packs are stored: the packs in the middle stored “on their side” will suffer from it in the long-term? Thanks

Probably best to not store them on the side. Storing them on their back seems better. You can probably get away with storing them on their side if you sleeve them in a graded card sleeve and then add a card saver to the package. That way the card saver takes some of the load instead of the card edges.

1 Like

@aronthemon , you store your packs like this right? Have you observed any damage?

2 Likes

Perfect thanks, I’ll try to re-arrange them. (Don’t know why when I post a pic with my phone it’s always messy)

I don’t think that storing like that will do any harm, but I personally display my packs so I wouldn’t know

How do you display the packs?

I use these, and put them on one of my shelves
www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-Acrylic-Booster-Pack-Display-Case-Box-Framing-Display-Quality-Grade/114278071068?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

1 Like

@kingboo64

I haven’t observed cards for damage after the pack has been stored on their side for years. I’ll keep that in mind if I do decide to open one of my packs anytime soon.

My packs were stored on their side for about 3 years. Without being in any protective sleeves. Externally they look fine. I highly doubt the cards within are affected in any way.
Though I wouldn’t recommend storing clumpy/thick packs this way such as Shadowless Base Set Demo packs or Japanese VS packs. It’s not that the cards would be damaged, but the packs themselves on the side facing down is likely to become crumpled a bit. This is because those particular more bulky packs contain much more weight (many more cards) that is then pressing on that one pack side for an extended period of time

Physics-wise, storing them on their side isn’t *as* good. I don’t know if it will hurt the cards, but the same force is distributed over a far smaller area. Imagine supporting your body weight by the tip of your finger vs. lying down, there is more pressure in the first case. Pressure = Force / Area.

I would say that in all likelihood, your packs are fine sideways. But if you want to be careful, just store them all flat. Might not be bad since those are some ancient packs you’ve got there.

4 Likes