Pack weights of ex era packs.

Hi all, hope this is not too much of a taboo.

I am selling some lose packs I own of ex + Diamond & Pearl mysterious treasures to Platinum Arceus and wish to be as transparent as possible to avoid any hiccups. I have weighed the packs but would like to indicate whether they are likely to contain a holo. Does anyone have a resource to indicate whether a D+P and Platinum pack is holographic?

Thanks.

Test the middle weights, there really isnt much data for ex onwards on weights

1 Like

Impossible to know. The only guarantee with weighing is if you pull from a freshly opened booster box. Different boxes come from different print runs which can have different weights. There is usually a general target weight you would like to hit for a pack to be possibly heavy, but you can’t weigh packs and market them as heavy if you dont have a full box of other packs to compare them with. If they do fall in a weight range generally considered heavy perhaps you can market them as potentially heavy or just “weighed” without a comment on the weight and the seller can figure it out themselves.

If you are pulling them from a box then just weigh all the packs and set aside the top %25 weights as heavy and any packs that hit that same weight threshold should probably be heavy as well.

I am very curious on this. What would change in different print runs? Thickness of cardstock? % extra of wrapper used? Would be cool to see some data on a few dozen packs, determine an average, median and actually open these packs to see if predictions on holos is correct or not.

TCA does a short video summarizing this problem in weighing packs. Im on mobile right now on the toilet otherwise id link it.

Edit: also i think my first comment here was an oversimplification. Weighing packs can be very tricky especially with sets that have various reverse holos and full art energy holos and stuff alongside of a potential holo.

1 Like

lol I saw the video he did on weighing base set, and I am actually quite surprised an old set like that has that much variance in pack weight. None the less if you know anyone who’s taken the time to extensively recorded data on things like wrapper weight, commons/uncommon 9 card weight and different foil weights, there may be a magic to pack predicting newer packs? I know that in the end the transparency of the undesired packs being sold needs to be disclosed, this defiantly could be a shady practice, but for someone who wants to get a high probability at for example a gold star card, maybe there’s a way still to predict such. A lot of capital would be needed to do this research though aha.

ex packs are insanely tough to predict when buying loose. I have had packs of the same set that weigh 17.5g and 15.5g and the 15.5 had a holo while the 17.5 didn’t. Unless you have all 36 packs from a box, ex is a total crapshoot.

1 Like

that surprised me too. i’ve seen the pack weight difference as well. that’s pretty massive - 13%. that’s like an extra card!