Over Cut TMB Trophy (Warning: Scary Thread)

Some have you may have seen this on instagram. It is a number 3 Tropical Mega Battle trophy card. The front of the card has extra wide borders. The back shows the edges of the surrounding cards on the sheet. It is supposedly slightly larger than a typical card. The owner speculated that it may have not been intended for distribution. So the question remains: is it authentic?

My bet is on no.

1 Like

No.

PSA wonā€™t grade it.

The card was clearly not awarded at the tournament.

Arguing about any other point is a waste of time as it is obviously not a legitimate release.

3 Likes

The question here is about authenticity not so much official release or no. As in did Media Factory produce it or did CustomCards create it.

The authenticity is directly dependent on the release.

This card was clearly not awarded at the TMB.

If people want to make a pseudo preraichu style authenticity argument, feel free. But it is completely irrelevant.

2 Likes

So the copies of all the trophies that media factory keeps arenā€™t authentic?

1 Like

Got a pictureā€¦for giggles?

The member is banned here I believe so I donā€™t want to link their content but you can find it on Instagram.

Pm me the link

Is this copy properly cut like the others? No. Mentioning the possibility of an identical archived copy hitting the market is a separate point. This card is clearly not that situation.

Iā€™m unable to send it at the moment as I only have my phone right now. Maybe someone else can? Sorry Iā€™m out of the country for awhile.

I own a TMB no . 3 trophy and can say with 99.99999% certainty that the over cut copy was produced by media factory just like my copy.

It was obviously not released in the same way as the other copies (awarded at the tournament) but that doesnā€˜t make the card is not authentic in my opinion.

3 Likes

This thread scares me a bit.

The card is clearly not the correct parameters. That is objectively wrong.

More specifically, what other trophy card has this cut? Hell what Japanese card in general has this cut?

If authenticity is simply based on emotional aesthetics and not objectivity, then this hobby is in more trouble than I realized. Authenticity is also based on release and purpose. IF there is a physical incongruency that clearly indicates this was not properly released, as in this situation, no one can possibly claim this is authentic.

4 Likes

I remember you talking about this in your trophy card video.

Do you feel that if a card went through more ā€œscandalousā€ release that it might add to its value?

This is not a limited edition prize card. At best itā€™s an illegitimately stolen card that ended up on the cutting room floor.
To me, the biggest problem with this item is it could tarnish the importance of the trophy. You see, this isnā€™t the same thing as the cigar hitmonlee or all the miscuts out there. There were thousands of those cards produced so it wouldnā€™t even be noticed to most if there were anomalies. This card is playing against a true icon of the hobby.

If I had it in my hands, Iā€™d tear it up on video or send it to my boy to see how it holds up in his fire safe experiments.

9 Likes

Absolutely not. People want the real thing. As @garyis2000 mentioned, the value of these cards is heavily based on their actual release. This is an abortion.

2 Likes

Itā€™s a shame that this card will probably earn good moneyā€¦

If it were Media Factory auctioning off some of their cards for charity, I would actually consider that legit. We all know most of these companies have an extra copy or sheet of most product they print.

This looks like something an employee picked up in the trash or got illegally.

Iā€™ve got to say Iā€™m surprised people struggle to properly cut a card. Itā€™s not rocket science. The worst is the scissors job some people do and call miscuts. :grin:

1 Like

Uncut sheets, FPO, square cuts, Neo Destiny sample blisters, etc. This isnā€™t about emotion itā€™s about whether or not Media Factory produced it with the lisence to print Pokemon cards.

2 Likes

Those are all great examples of items that lack confidence in the hobby.