OriginalEra's Collection Thread

Figured I would make a thread to show off my main collection and the new additions coming in!
If you couldn’t tell from my name, I mostly collect old WOTC cards, specifically the first generation Pokemon (although I do have a few newer cards and some Japanese as well). Pokemon came to the US when I was about 8 or 9 years old so I was the perfect age to get hooked on it. By the time the Neo generation was coming out, I was entering high school and so I lost interest for awhile, but still held onto my cards for sentimental reasons.

The collecting addiction has come and gone in the years since, and now that I’m a bit older I have been making a push to finish what I started. I don’t really consider the cards an “investment” or anything like that, I just enjoy looking at them and don’t really see myself ever selling them. Anyway, I’ll try to update regularly, enjoy!
And yes, I know I need to sleeve the cards. I hope to get all new binders soon and will properly sleeve everything when I transfer it over.
Page 1:1st Edition Team Rocket1st Edition JungleLeague Promo Energies
Page 2:1st Edition FossilGym BadgesXY Evolutions

8 Likes

Let’s start with one of my favorite sets, Team Rocket! It was the first set I completed and is also in the best condition overall, they’re all in excellent shape. This set was exciting because of the new, dark theme to the Pokemon, as well as some new mechanics added to playing the game, like the Rainbow Energy. Also I enjoy this holo pattern much more than the previous sets at the time.

Some nice art in this set:

14 Likes

So you are a genwunner, good to hear and nice collection!

1 Like

Rocket is a solid start for any collection and in 1st edition??! Solid cards and holos, please make sure to sleeve those babies up real good dude especially that Dark Charizard. Best of luck on your collecting goals, WOTC is so nostalgic and fun to collect. :blush:

2 Likes

I am indeed, thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks! Yeah I am still researching the binder/sleeve combo I want so I figure I’ll leave them in place until it all arrives, they’ve survived this long. Luckily I live in the desert so no humidity here haha.

My next full set was completed just a few months ago, Jungle! I was in 6th grade when this set came out and I had no idea it was even happening. Some kids at recess had them and I was blown away by the new cards, so I tried to trade for as many as I could. Looking back it is somewhat underwhelming to me, but the colors are great and it brought us 1 step closer to having the complete 151 Pokemon.

Scyther was one of my favorites to play with

6 Likes

I also received this in the mail yesterday to complete the 2002 league promo energies. Awhile back I randomly received the fighting energy as an extra card in an order(maybe it slipped in by mistake?), so of course I decided to collect the rest of them lol. Gotta catch em all, right?

2 Likes

Great collection, always love to see fellow binder collector’s collections :blush:

On a side note, they are some seriously good swirls on those Energy cards!!

2 Likes

Thanks! Yeah with the whole card being holo you have a great chance of at least 1 swirl

Get this collection in some sleeves and pro binders bruh! Awesome stuff for sure. Looking clean too!

Best thing you can do for these cards @originalera is to buy some of these bad boi’s right here! www.amazon.com/KMC-Barrier-PERFECT-packs-Total/dp/B00T3Z72Q8/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=KMC+perfect+fit+pokemon+sleeves&qid=1581139777&sr=8-1

Those you’re going to want to slide over the card from the top of the card down, and then just buy some penny sleeves to throw over the top of those! Best way to protect your cards and your collection. And I’d suggest getting a little better binders as those insert sleeves; if you’re going through your cards a lot and looking at them; and/or just flipping through them a bunch. It’s just no Bueno for the cards themselves… And they go bad after about 3/4 a year… So bump yourself into something more appropriate like some of these bad boi’s right here… As you’ll never regret buying one, and it’ll save your cards forever! They’re the best IMO…

www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Guard-XenoSkin-Zipfolio-Portfolio/dp/B07LF3QSM7/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2AO4LGTGX42BQ&keywords=ultimate+guard+binder+12+pocket&qid=1581140034&sprefix=Ultimate+guard+binder+guard+pocket+%2Caps%2C199&sr=8-5

And here are your penny sleeves just for easy one click access to all you need to protect that B.A. collection you got there (;

www.amazon.com/Ultra-Sleeves-Standard-Trading-measuring/dp/B074BPTDKK/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=Pokemon+card+penny+sleeves+2.5%22+x+3.5%22&qid=1581140385&sr=8-4

Those are just my personal preferences. If anyone thinks I’m wrong or thinks there’s something better out there, feel free to engage and enlighten myself as well! Cause I’d like to know if I’m doing something wrong as well :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks. I love the idea of a zipper instead of the elastic strap I’ve seen on some of them.

1 Like

Great collection!! I actually just put together the same sets haha. Team Rocket is one of my favorites especially Dark Gyarados. I go after all first edition holos from wotc. I’m just about finished now. The hardest part was the Shining Cards :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh you’re most welcome bud. I hope that all of that helped you out some. I just like to provide people with everything I use, and it makes it a lot easier for them to visualize/ see it to know exactly what I’m referring to/ referencing!

But yes, the binders with the Zipper are going to be between $40~$50… But; they’re hands down the best binders in the world… again IMO… as they seal in your cards, aren’t going to bend them, and you don’t have to worry ever about any falling out and getting lost! :heart_eyes: Hopefully I was able to give you some good tips and pointers to help you out =)

@shinyrayquaza , looky what arrived today :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

@originalera,That a boy! Taking care of business now! That’s what I like to see. Hopefully I was able to help enough in the sense that you feel confident in your recent purchases of all this stuff! Really happy to see you got this stuff its going to be a major life changer for you bud!

Loving it so far, thanks for the tips. Feels good to have them better protected. I also enjoy the contrast the black background provides for the cards.

1 Like

I’m still in the process of getting everything transferred over to the new binders, but here is some Fossil love for now. I just finished this set a week or two ago! This set came out during the peak of my collecting as a kid, this was the set I had the most 1st editions of.

Still have some of the original packs (empty wrappers) that my sister and I opened back in the day :grin:

7 Likes

@originalera, That’s so awesome man! Congrats! Glad to have been able to provide some insight and help, as well as I’m glad you like the binders. They’re quite amazing, and now you don’t have the worries of your cards getting ruined (=

1 Like