No rarity Charizard

I don’t think it was one small dude. The biggest changes in the world are caused by the minority. The American Revolution was pretty much done by less than 20% of the population. While people might remember one or two people the most it was a group effort. Getting PSA to recognize no rarity took a group of people all agreeing to the terminology to use (no rarity instead of 1st edition) and sending in informaiton (me and Glenn got a lot out to them). To me that was the solidifying moment for these cards.

The awareness definatly raised by that small group, even right now this thread is getting attraction. I think it’s funny how much people talk down about these cards, yet they’re a popular discussion. If you think the interest isn’t organic at this point, imo, you’re fooling yourself. I could be wrong, but it’s been a few years now and I’m on the boat of there’s enough interst that these wont die.

Will they spike in prices, I doubt it (maybe charizard); will they outpace 1st engish, I’m almost positive they won’t. That doesn’t mean they don’t have a group of people that genuinly like them, much like the other niches in this hobby. I feel that small group will keep them relevant, especially considering the scarcity of these cards.

2 Likes

Sure, but Majority of the hobby was clueless/didn’t care. I remember threads where people asked if there is a difference between base cards with or without symbols as people had both and didn’t know why.

Also at worlds you didn’t see anyone from japan with no rarity until around 2015. Pre 2014-15 no Japanese seller had anything nr. Even when they did it was ignored and/or holos sold for like $10. No one cared at all. There was no market until about 2014.

1 Like

It reminds me so much of a message a person wrote to me many years ago after I had bought bitcoins at pizza prices with friends. He told me verbatim: “no one has ever crap these, why do you think something is worth tomorrow?” I printed that sentence and I have it in my room now. I do the same with this one. I just have the free space next to it.

There is no investment class where people aren’t going to disagree.

That said: You have to at least acknowledge niche is niche, even if you think it’s a solid investment.

1 Like

All the ones I have, except for a very few, were purely accidental. I did loads of deals years ago where they were simply an unknowing part of. So I’m in the unique situation of having them deep in my collection storage AND not seeing them as a big deal at all.
If I was smart, I would have pulled them all out last year and sold at the big premium. Now I may be eating a big loss:(
Anyway, I stand by what I said earlier.

Elaborate on big premium? They absolutely outperform shadowless and some 1st Ed cards. 5 years of salt by the same guys and they’re still performing extremely well. They’re the most commonly asked card I get questions about.

No amount of opinions will change the fact they’re the very first print run “first edition” of the hobby we all love so much. And being only limited copies makes them so much more special.

Anything that isn’t wotc or gold stars is “niche” to all the guys holding wotc and gold stars.

They use to sell for more and will continue to drop in the coming years.
In turn, on all my eBay id’s, in 20 years I’ve never had anybody mention those. Better keep trying to sell yours and get rid of them;)
Get back to us in 5 years and we’ll compare notes.

What a suprise :open_mouth::joy:

Niche is just something that isn’t commonly collected by most collectors. It’s just a smaller buying pool, there’s nothing wrong with calling something niche, but it does take understanding when you’re going to sell something niche. All trophy cards would be a niche collectable, non tcg, etc. It’s not good or bad.

5 Likes

Very well said.

I agree. I believe the word is used with negative connotations.

Why does a Near Mint no rarity poliwrath listed for 5 years at $75 not sell? Yet a 1st Edition base poliwrath in worse condition, will sell in a week, at a higher price.

1st set ≠ 1st Edition. That is a collector connotation. Also the idea that “1st set printed” inherently equals premium is also false. Here is the 1st ever promo card released in pokemon, for $15… Oh and it lacks a rarity symbol, because that isn’t unique and doesn’t mean 1st Edition.

rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5575502441&toolid=10001&campid=5338532980&customid=&mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FPokemon-Card-Japanese-1996-PROMO-IVY-PIKACHU-Asobikata-Pikachu-corocoro%2F392318715592

1 Like

The same reason a shadowless one wouldn’t sell at that price in that condition.

And the same reason 1st edition English sell for higher than unlimited. They were limited release.

1st ever printed base set in limited supply>random promo(printed how many times? I don’t know, maybe you know the numbers?)

As far as set cards go No Rarity is the second most valuable behind 1st Edition Base for PSA 8 and up I would say, so there is obvious demand. The pops are extremely low so people have paid crazy prices to obtain specific cards especially PSA 10, but even at the settled price it is at now it is still 2nd behind 1st Ed Base. Also I have never seen a single no rarity card with a normal base set label

1 Like

Y’all just dug up this old chewed up bone again…no mames

1 Like

I’m still unconvinced it was the first set. At one time it was believed to have come out AFTER the Jungle set. Where is the proof it was first? There is none, and I’ve seen everything printed going back to Glenn’s hypothesis. Collectors love to romanticize things like this;)

Why would they print a set of cards without rarity symbols and errors second?

The actual proof is in the deck boxes and promo matrials, they use no rarity cards in them. Much like how WOTC material has shadowless.

4 Likes

Pretty sure a user has made an entire forum post with as much gathered information on these cards as they possibly can.

Which I’ve already seen. Could be many explanations.
Oh…and I don’t think they were errors. Rarity symbols were never intended for that run.

Things aren’t always the way they appear.

1 Like

Can’t people just get along and collect what they like :ok_hand:

2 Likes