Nintendo games

Hey! Any of you watching the Nintendo market? Would it be a good long term investment to buy super mario, mario kart or Nintendo 64 sealed and graded long term?

Im thinking about investing like 5-6k for next 5-10 years

12 Likes

10 Likes

You guys forgot the one Scott always brings up. “Free Patron advise”

@hyruleguardian We can probably cross off new poster getting shit on just for our actions here

7 Likes

@fourthstartcg Good point. So a series answer to the post. Just buy what you feel comfortable with. The invest word is very cringe worthy here. If you want people telling you what to buy just watch some investment channels. But you’re much better off buying things you like and enjoy. Things you can stare at for hours or things your so confident about that you don’t need to ask people if it’s a good investment. Trying to find something that makes you unique. Buying the same thing as everyone else is often a bad idea. Hope this helps @golten

1 Like

Hey man. Yes, I’ve been watching the retro games market in general in the last few months and it’s been exploding just like Pokémon has… in the US at least, a lot of people are still afraid to go outside so their attention has shifted elsewhere. Pretty easy to figure out what’s going on honestly. That being said, do think Nintendo specifically is a great investment when it comes to games. Their games tend to hold their value very well. Just be careful when buying sealed games, as a lot of these are fake. Feel free to DM me if you have any questions! I love talking games.

1 Like

you would do well to read up on the WATA 9.4 grade Super Mario Bros story if you haven’t already, then decide if this is a good idea before you start directing significant funds with the intent of investing–assuming you are referring to WATA when you say sealed and graded. as someone who has been involved in the video game collecting community for years, I can tell you this was a orchestrated roll out designed to both try and establish a new norm (much like PSA graded cards over raw), expand a market that already semi-existed (VGA sealed games) and hype a new brand WHILE trying to get the attention of other collecting communities (draw in deeper pockets). given that the sellers and buyers were all part of the same group of individuals in the WATA story, it was really a question of ethics to me personally since the transparency wasn’t there.

i give credit to the fact that WATA at least made VGA a dinosaur, which needed to happen since VGA was a sham, and that WATA took the next logical step and made a better product. most collectors knew it was just a matter of time. but be advised that when one talks about markets or market manipulation, what you need to consider is what the market stabilization curve will look like and where you may fall on what will be a very jagged “buy” “hold” “sell” line. the video game collecting market is quite established, but graded is very new and should not be thought of as solidly as the video game and VG memorabilia market. there are A LOT of loopholes that need to be closed, and grading sealed/“complete”/semi-complete/loose games is FAR more complex than the already worthy task of authenticating a card or autograph and assigning a grade to it. even asking the basic question of how this helps to actually preserve games–which is one of the stated goals (“right!”), or what a grade means when one cannot even view the contents inside the game box or case, just starts the discussion.

I’m for the most part a purist, though, and myself a dinosaur. I prefer authentic, mint, and complete games I can play and maintain. The original manuals and brochures and artwork and even cartridge or CD designs–including variants–are all part off what I want to be able to see and handle as part of my enjoyment. You can’t do this with sealed games. I also have sealed games spanning literally all generations, because I want “mint” copies to keep, or open and play later, or whatever I decide to do with them. Extras. Play copies and “keep” copies. But I will never pay someone to “grade” contents they can’t even see, or encase something that was meant to be played in a tomb. I game on original hardware, sometimes with modded boards to output better resolution, but I have the luxury of having collected enough original hardware that I can afford to go this route.

i know this probably doesn’t even belong on efour, but this one always hits a nerve with me and taps into my strongest collecting passion. vidya games are the feels for me. little late for the short answer, but short answer is throwing big money at big sealed games product is big risk right now. buying sealed then grading and flipping seems the only relatively safe option at present. i’d be very hesitant to spend high to buy graded with the intent to “hold” or invest. if you care about the games, it’s much easier–if you want to, just buy and hold high grades of what you love, display it, show it off if you want, but forget about “what it’s worth” and just enjoy owning it.

3 Likes

over the last 2 months I have been buying wata graded sealed pokemon games (i currently have gold, silver, sapphire, and leaf green). I have bought them because i enjoy them as and want them in my collection. does not matter to me if they go up in price or not but I will say that just in this short amount of time that i have spent in the market, prices have been going up. Also did not realize how much scarcity there would be on some of these games.

I’ll take that as a challenge and try to limit my new threads to topics that are not on the bingo card!

1 Like