Nintendo files a patent for NFC trading cards

Interesting and exciting.

comicbook.com/gaming/2018/03/24/nintendo-patent-amiibo-trading-card-game/

Running through a few ideas of what this could entail:
Other Nintendo characters/ different playing card games.
Pretty much getting rid of fake cards
Introducing some sort of playing mat for online play with the real cards (though some may not be honest in their shuffling :wink: )
Maybe pokemon stadium like action! (That would be sweet.

Any ideas? Do you think if they pursue this patent it’s more likely for a non pokemon venture?

1 Like

I believe they already have cards that use this technology, being the Animal crossing cards. Therefore they may just be patenting the technology. If they are implementing it into the pokemon tcg that would be cool.

i feel in 5 years pokemon cards will all have nfc and be scanned into a playmat that can project pokemon through augmented reality. it’s definitely the future of tcgs and a way to keep them relevant as technology continues to exponential.

2 Likes

If you want the Hyper Rare Pokemon in the next Switch game, you have to crack open a couple booster boxes. $$$

1 Like

Wow. I called this in the message tlfrom joe Orlando thread m! First PSA revise their set registry app, now this update on NFC cards. I’ll patr what I said here:

o add to my previous comment, I forgot about amiibos and Pokémon go as well as the aforementioned code cards… Now that I think about it, Nintendo are really doing a good job at attempting to blend physical and digital, both in gaming and collections.

It just needs to be taken to the next step and make the perfect blend. Like rare cards that allow you to show off digitally in the same vein as owning the town’s Pokémon gyms on Pokémon go. That’s just off the top of my head, but I guarantee Nintendo have teams of people in think tanks trying to come up with the next one.

As for the current state of collectibles - I think as card shops close down, and the increase in internet purchases, collections are very much more ‘private’ than they were when we were kids. We used to to go to the card shops and open the packs in front of our friends, and make trades. I can guarantee that the vast majority of the strongest memories you guys will have from school are the social interactions. The time you traded this or that card. The exact brand of that football that Johnny brought in and was a legend for it. That special cricket bat (Kookaburra at my school). Those intrinsic memories of social interaction mixed with physical items is the perfect combination for nostalgia and collecting. I can’t imagine kids take their cards into school and trade them on the playground anymore? Kids in the West are pushed to be ‘cool’ from a much earlier age now, and not to act their own age. I might be way off on that comment, just a thought.

Can collections be digital? Apps come and go. Hardware will change and things will no longer be supported. Many people collect physical games from their childhood, Gameboy and N64, but even more emulate them on their computers. That’s for old games.

Modern games are downloaded just as much as they are bought in shops. I don’t know the stats for this, but I imagine downloads far surpass physical copies of games nowadays. It will get to a point where physical copies of games don’t even exist, as they’re increasingly downloaded rather than bought in shops. So there’s one collectible dying right now in front of us.

What’s the next Pokémon? Of all the companies to do it, it would be Nintendo given their drive to combine physical and digital…so the next Pokémon is probably just futuristic Pokémon.

2 Likes

great call!

NFC is not a new thing for trading cards. The precursor to the Dragon Ball Super Card game, IC Carddass Dragon Ball (Japanese exclusive), is/was using that tech.

That game incorporated NFC discs into the cards to make the game playable via an app.

Sounds like the Mario and Animal Crossing amiibo cards that have been out for a few years now

And the best thing about NFC? It wouldn’t require giant borders that take up half the card.

1 Like

Lol come on, e series is the pinnacle of human advancement.

3 Likes