Newer grades

Is it just me or do newer certs 4xxx and above seem to be graded harsher and allow for far less imperfections than the 2xxx ones. I’m newer to this but it seems that way when I see listings on ebay for higher end cards. It looks like some of the graded cards that logan Paul purchased may have actually been 9s today that are hidden in 10 cases. Is this ever discussed?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGrNU9U2fQk

Thanks. I’ll watch it teraz.

I talk about this all the time. Yes they are stricter. In general. 9’s and above, not so much, though I have firsthand seen 9’s with really old cert #'s from many years ago that have back edge wear, whitening, and/or chipping. When really that should almost never be the case. But with 8’s and below, the general answer is yes they are more strict. But even now, as I also always say, they aren’t too consistent because of the subjectivity aspect. No two 7’s are alike. Not all 7’s are equal. And that goes for all grades below 10.

What PSA 7 would you rather have?

1. Perfect front, rough back.

2. Equal wear to front and back, hairlines on holo, whitening on back, silvering on borders.

3. Rough front, heavy hairlines and silvering on edges, but glossy surface and perfect back.

We are almost 1 million cards into the 5xx cert

www.ebay.com/itm/293770130187

2 Likes

Yes my incoming Zard is a 5xx cert. He’s arriving tomorrow!!! :blush:

1 Like

CGC 10 PERFECT > Black Label > CGC 10 > BGS 10 > PSA 10 420XXXXX cert > PSA 10 4XXXXXXX cert > PSA 10 5XXXXXXX cert > CGC 9.5 > PSA 10 2XXXXXXX cert > BGS 9.5 > PSA 0XXXXXX cert

13 Likes

On a scale of 1-9.5, how accurate is this?

3 Likes

I’ve been disappointed with every grade except the 6XXX certs; those have been remarkably consistent.

6 Likes

Lol, so specific, well done.

I’ll wait until grading becomes more consistent with the 8xxx cert numbers.

K? Thanks. Bye. :wink:

Even if new certs have hypothetically stricter standards, that does not necessarily mean all older certs are automatically substandard.

You are paying for an unbiased, professional 3rd party opinion, so treat it as such. At the end of the day, it is still just an opinion.

If you dont like the occassional inconsistencies and lapses of such a system (theres bound to be errors out of millions graded), do what i do and just avoid grading altogether (for the most part).

2 Likes

There should be a post count required to create a new thread.

2 Likes

1 Like

Grading consistancies and inconsistencies happen in both certs. I have seen more than enough graded PSA cards to come to that conclusion.