New PSA feature called first view

Anyone notice something called first view when looking at your submission? I can only use it on one of my orders but just shows the raw card. I suppose to assure submitter of condition/damage and to protect them if there is any.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. The image quality isn’t great as it’s scanning them through the sleeves, but neat feature to have.

PSA will now show scans of the raw card upon arrival. Scans will be completed in the r&d step:

12 Likes

Will be cool to have access to those scans when proof is needed to verify damage done by PSA; but I wonder if this is a step towards grading the cards using the scans to handle cards less - and if that will affect the grading at all.

Like for example sometimes the tiniest white border specs look extra dramatic on a scan; while holo scratches can disappear when not viewed at an angle

They are prepping for AI grading

3 Likes

There’s two decisions here. One is to scan the cards raw; the second is the choice to share that scan with the submitted, which they didn’t have to do.

They likely have many incidences of individuals claiming their cards were damaged by graders, and this will provide proof (in either way). I don’t think that making the scans available to us indicates AI grading.

Sharing it with us isn’t what indicates AI grading. The fact that they are storing pictures of raw cards is the telltale sign. These raw pictures can/will be used for training and validation datasets.

2 Likes

not when the pictures look like this:

11 Likes

I assumed they would be higher quality.

:melting_face:

I wonder how an AI would even detect print lines and scratches that can only be seen in certain light/angles.

Even dents, dirt, surface issues etc can be hidden in a photograph.

Guys, an AI solution to grading doesn’t go from non-existent to 100% replacing human employees. It requires a lot of R&D and incremental developments.

Step 1 could be an attempt at automating the centering grade or detecting whitening. Even just offering an AI “suggestion” to a human grader or to flag cards that are given a 10 with visible damage. There are many different applications that are relatively simple and fall way short of replacing human grader. And maybe some day we will get to that point but it requires steps along the way, and step 0 is to accumulate training data. Even if some of it is junk

If you had raw scans of every card and you weren’t using them for some sort of AI or technological application, you’d be foolish. The CEO of PSA is literally a tech guy, this is what he does.

Additionally, this was a thing that happened.

Genamint technology analyzes each trading card in real-time and is able to provide diagnostics, measurements, and detect alterations or other changes made to a card’s surface in an effort to assist human graders. It will also provide unique card identification – or “card fingerprinting” – by identifying the exact card in order to track provenance, resubmissions, condition changes and other attributes over time.

“Acquiring and integrating Genamint will allow us to grade more trading cards faster while improving accuracy,” said Nat Turner, executive chairman of Collectors Universe, PSA’s parent company.

This acquisition is one of the first steps toward furthering PSA’s capabilities as the foremost authority in grading trading cards.

“We’re not eliminating humans from the grading process,” he continued. “We’re improving the process by adding technology.”

“I’m excited to start working with the team at PSA,” Lenane said. “We expect to significantly enhance PSA’s capacity by implementing our technology and taking PSA’s grading process to the next level through our unique capabilities including card diagnostics.”

Beyond the acquisition of Genamint, the company plans on making additional significant investments in technology and operational capacity.

7 Likes

Looks like they do not scan the cards submitted for the $15 special(?) I have 3 submissions right now. I can see pictures for my regular and value submissions but the 30 cards I sent in for the $15 special have no images available despite being in the grading step.

From my pictures, it appears that they remove the card from the cardsaver but do not remove the card from the sleeve and do not take off the little pull tab I put on the sleeves when they take the picture.

1 Like

$15 special, received on the 7th or something like that. They took it out of the sleeve too. Maybe teething issues where different individuals weren’t sure if they should or shouldnt take them out pre-imaging?

edit: Definitely either some teething issues, or their website is having a mental breakdown. This is apparently a Secret Rare Houndoom

3 Likes

They are not removing the card from the sleeve/cardsaver when scanning them. I know this because in several of my scans you can see the cardsaver (like the mew I posted above). I assume they have some software to auto crop the card which hides the sleeve/cardsaver but it sometimes fails and shows the full scan.

Would be very concerning if the research department was raw dogging cards before the grader gets them.

5 Likes

Another feature meant to attract the attention of deep pocket Asian Whales for an eventual overseas Sale.