New member has questions

Good Morning,
I am a new member to this forum. I am in the process of attempting to learn about the cards I currently own/possess. I am learning of such things as shadowless cards and holo swirls but know I lack way to much before I can sell my collection for the money it is worth.
I am currently not capable of purchasing grading services and know this will ultimately reduce the money I am capable of getting.

But is it possible someone can assist me in learning how to determine the proper price of my cards and the best place to go about selling them. I’ve tried Ebay but I can’t get a fair assessment upon the value of my tokens.

Edited to include;
I have Japanese cards as well.
what do I need to know in relation to Japanese cards?

Hey, welcome to E4. Most of your cards look like they should have plenty of sales data to help you determine the value of your collection. Historical sales on ebay is the best source of data. If you’re looking to start collecting again, enjoy getting back into it, there’s no rush. If you’re just looking to sell your cards, why not just auction them on ebay?

4 Likes

There is plenty of sales data but it isn’t uniform. for example I have a Japanese Lugia that has sales data from $0.99 to $1500 (ungraded). but when I try to sell it for more than say $100, my sell is not successful and I’m wondering how to determine a more realistic pricing.
I am trying to get back into collecting but I am attempting to sell these cards I currently have to gain capital to buy boxes of new editions/releases.

Which Lugia?

Picture pulled from Google.

Cool card! There are tons of sales on ebay. Look for a few recent sales of ones in similar condition to yours, and that should give you a good idea of the price.

I think you’re reading me but rejecting my experiences based on ebay historical charts.
Thank you for the reply but this doesn’t truly help me.

I think you are searching for a magic bullet here that doesn’t excist.
If you trully want to know what your cards are worth you need to do a lot of research, reading, trying out some websites and make a mistake here and there. It is very hard for anyone to tell you what would be the perfect strategy.
Just take your time and you’ll be fine! Welcome to the forum.

8 Likes

Besides intuition gained through experience, for ungraded single cards, eBay’s recent sales for cards in similar condition just is the source anyone here would go to to help you as well. For graded cards, there’s Pokemonprice.com linked atop of this website. You just won’t get “that” market price for ungraded cards because of the subjectivity in judging photos. Even for graded cards the market price is never as exact as a stock or something, also because there are “weak & strong” examples within one grade.

If you reject sales data for ungraded cards, you can check availability & asking prices of cards in similar condition on multiple websites like troll&toad, cardmarket, ebay, tcgplayer etc. to get an idea of what to ask for yours as well.

4 Likes

I think ditch the charts on ebay.

As @seafoamarticuno said, the best way to find the value is to click on ‘sold listings’ searching on ebay. You can then work out an average sold price, and also have a look what condition the card was in. Minter copies will fetch a higher price of course.

Welcome to the forums!

edit: oops burnedos beat me to it haha

1 Like

If you can accurately identify the card and give a good assessment on quality, you can find the price.

www.trollandtoad.com/category.php?selected-cat=0&search-words=JAPANESE+Neo+Genesis+Lugia+Holo+249

On ebay I searched “japanese lugia holo 249” or “lugia japanese neo genesis”, clicked the “advanced” option to filter by sold, and found lots of examples that show recent prices.

Even if you think the card is near mint or better and it should be a PSA 9 or 10, you still have to compare it with other raw cards. Unless it’s graded you usually can’t expect to get graded prices.

3 Likes

I would recommend against selling stuff on ebay auction, they tend to go way below what the average buy it now option is, simply because there isn’t a huge amount of traffic on more niche stuff.

For example, I may be looking for a first edition Erika’s Clefable from Gym Heroes - I may be willing to get one that is not mint on the back because I only want the front for a binder collection.

The chances of someone else wanting an Erika’s Clefable in that condition looking for it isn’t hugely likely, in that time frame.

Unless you have something that is truly noteworthy, at which point I would recommend you go to PWCC.

Ultimately, a tiny crease could be the difference between a card being a 10 or being a 6. With a huge value difference. Every transaction on raw cards is you gambling that your ability to appraise cards is better than the other guys.

This is slightly undermined by the fact that grading at the moment is a nightmare, so people are sitting on cards.

But if a card is truly perfect, why are they not grading it themselves - is the question that you should always be asking as a buyer. So you can get lucky and find someone selling who doesn’t know what their stuff is worth, but it doesn’t change the fact that you are always battling your appraisal skills vs there’s.

As a newcomer, you are likely to lose that appraisal battle. You have 2 options,

1. learn - this forum will teach you an awful lot, read the 400 pages mega thread on grading for starters.
  2. Sell at a likely loss as to what you can get if you invest the time.

I don’t mean to be rude at all, but this forum is a forum for people who value collecting. From your post, you’re not a collector, you’re someone who owned cards from being a kid and want to sell up. Nothing wrong with that, but the short answer is the time it will take you to perfect the art - is not likely to be a cost effective use of your time if you’re not interested in staying in the game.

Spending 100 hours studying to save 30 dollars isn’t a great cost/time ratio.

3 Likes

While others touched on the Japanese cards, Tcgplayer for english singles pricing.

If selling there, you can add pictures to show your swirl(s).