MTG Power 9?

So I know this is Pokémon. But for a while I’ve been really fascinated by early Magic. I am thinking of buying an unlimited power 9 graded by bgs. Probably either time walk or ancestral recall.

Just wanted to ask if anyone here has bought any or owns any and maybe could offer some advice? I’m not sure if I want to but I’ve been thinking about it. If this thread is not allowed mods please delete. Thanks!

I don’t collect MtG, but thought you might enjoy reading through jonandek’s thread here!

2 Likes

I’d almost advice against buying graded P9 and just go for a nice played copy and try to start a binder from there.
The power 9 is worth so much due to the playability, so I like the cards that actually have seen play. Adds to the story and makes it a lot more affordable. For the same price you could buy a couple of pieces and maybe try to complete all 9.
Other than that, go for it! The early sets of Magic are so, well… magical!

2 Likes

I was thinking about that! I’m just nervous about authenticity/fakes. I could probably get all three blue pieces for the price of one graded one.

Thank you!

If you have no experience with Magic card, buy some cheap Unlimited commons just to get a feel for them. And just buy from reputable sellers and you should be fine. Don’t try to get a deal with low feedback sellers or Instagram ballers.

1 Like

If you are not a MTG collector, I would not recommend starting with Power 9. Take steps to create a MTG collection and build to that goal: learn about the market, research cards, determine what you like.

Why are you drawn to Power 9? It’s probably important to ask yourself this question before spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on a chase card that you may not enjoy as much as you think.

If you are dead-set on buying Power 9 but worry about the authenticity, buy a low-graded copy and crack it out.

5 Likes

This is fair, I’ll have to re evaluate

1 Like

I’d recommend looking through card art you enjoy. The first set I put together was legends. There were so many cards that I liked, maybe because it’s massive! The nice thing about being a mtg collector is most cards are cheap. Outside of the first few sets, it’s honestly astonishing how inexpensive it is to put together a binder.

6 Likes

I think I’ll do that! The old cards just seem so cool and have history of the beginning of wizards of the coast.

1 Like

You can pick up most common and uncommon cards relatively cheap for the majority of the 90s sets.

Instead of focusing on Power 9, perhaps try the reserved list cards, there are 571 cards in total. Not all will be cheap, but a good number are! It also offers a wide range of art on the cards and has ties to WOTC’s involvement in the cards beyond printing and distributing them.

4 Likes

This article on here may be of help to you, too: Guide to MTG collecting

I am pretty sure there may be updated threads on MTG on this site; I am slowly working my way through them and will share them as I find them by editing this comment.

3 Likes

I would recommend getting a precon and then start playing at a local LGS. Through that, you can see what kinda cards you like to play and collect. That led me to purchase a graded Survival of the Fittest, which is a list card from Exodus. Early magic art is incredible.

1 Like