If this thread gets some traction perhaps we can make an e4 food tour with all the restaurant recommendations. Maybe I’ll just make a google map with the reccomended foods and leave that linked.. We’ll see. If you dont want to give away your location feel free to mention good places you ate at while traveling or just stick to giving media reccomendations. This thread requires 0% reference to Pokemon, but if you watch an old Pokemon movie or go to a Cafe that serves great Pikabuns and want to recommend it, have at it.
I am starting this thread because I lack mightily the ideas needed when it comes time to pick a movie or plan a date night, and I’m hoping this thread can be my inspiration. Also selfishly I am an avid reader and always looking for a good book recommendation. So I’ll start it off with a small list of my favourites
Movies: Idiocracy, Avro Arrow, National Treasure, and recently I went to see Digger, which was outrageous and half of the theatre left during the showing but I felt it was horribly good.
Shows: Band of Brothers, Better Call Saul, Law and Order SVU.
Books: Any of the Bosch stories by Connelly, the new characters are fine too, Into Thin Air by Krakauer, Buried in the Sky by Zuckerman and Padoan, the 5 book Genghis series by Iggulden, Farmer in the Sky by Heinlein, and I’m currently reading Hurricanes by Rick Ross, we’ll see if it makes the next recommendation list.
For food this list is Nanaimo, BC (Canada) specific! Pasainos #1 reccomendation and its not even close. Actually that pretty much sums up my list of places in Nanaimo, there’s some other decent places but nothing that is S tier for me. I would however reccomend the Tree Top Tapas at Tigh Na Mara in Parksville. Its expensive but it’s the best dining experience I’ve ever had.
A Google map would be cool. I travel a lot tournaments so I’m often looking for a bite in a new city.
I was just in Fort Worth TX and enjoyed Tinies! Mid-upscale Mexican fusion
Some other stand outs from my recent travel
Portland OR - Bistro Elysium. Affordable Asian lunches. I got snowed in here and deadass at here 8 times in a row and still think about it.
Baltimore MD - Ekiben. Again more affordable Asian fusion. Tempura everything. Slammed for a reason.
LA CA - Ave 26 Tacos. Quintessential family run tacos served in a parking lot. Open late, incredible community vibes eating tacos over the hoods of cars chillin. Super good and cheap.
Also LA - Dan Sung Sa. Korean dive, really good energy and always packed.
Tokyo - Shodai. The cold dipping noodles I had here were the best meal I had in Japan and that’s a high bar.
Lastly @parkermrparker I’ll make a media recommendation since you’re looking for those too and it’s a lot easier to stream something than fly to a city and eat.
I really recommend Italian Surrealist director Paolo Sorrentino. He’s done TV and Movies, and is probably most known for the HBO series The Young Pope (2 seasons), which I strongly recommend. Jude Law plays a mysterious American cardinal who’s unlikely ascendence to the office of Pope might proof of miracles in itself.
He’s also the director of my favorite movie, The Great Beauty. A story of an aging writer who reflects on his life, career and relationships trying to understand their meaning and worth.
Based on the list of favs you shared, I can say the tone and feel of his work will be pretty different- but in a very satisfying way. His work is very contemplative, surreal yet grounded and sentimental. Also his work always looks incredible. Quality is off the charts.