Mix PSA, CGC and BGS - or pay extra for matching slabs?

I collect Pokemon mainly to enjoy and display attractive cards in nice condition. Value growth is a bonus, not the priority.

Across a few sets, I already have all the holos in PSA 9, plus some PSA 9 non-holos. But many PSA cards I’ve been tracking have doubled in price or more, while CGC/BGS 9 copies can cost half as much or less.

I’m torn between paying extra for consistency and buying whichever copy looks best for the money. I like matching slabs for display and photos, especially within evolution lines. I also wonder whether complete PSA sets might command a premium, but finishing everything in PSA is getting harder to justify.

The card itself matters too. Some CGC copies I’ve considered had scratches that bothered me, but some of my PSA 9s also have defects I wouldn’t expect at that grade. Meanwhile, I own BGS cards with nicer colour and cleaner surfaces than their PSA equivalents.

One compromise would be to keep the holos in PSA 9 and collect all non-holos in CGC 9, giving each category a consistent look. However, that would mean selling and replacing PSA non-holos I already own.

I don’t plan to sell my collection, but circumstances can change, and the collection could eventually supplement my retirement. PSA’s resale premium is a consideration, though I’m unsure it justifies paying so much more upfront.

If you’ve mixed graders, did it bother you over time? I worry I’d eventually see CGC/BGS cards as “lesser,” despite liking the cards and appreciating the savings. I also worry that further PSA price increases could put completing the sets out of reach. But if I earn more in a few years, I might regret settling for CGC just to save money now.

If you paid extra for matching slabs, was it worth it? Any regrets about either approach?

If inconsistency bothers you so much, there’s no harm in paying a little extra to match everything up. You can also attempt cross grades.

Ultimately the slab doesn’t matter if you’re happy with the card inside it though.

2 Likes

Probably a very generic answer of “Do what makes you happy”. I mean we obsess a lot over this hobby over the smallest of things, so if consistency is important for you then it seems worth it to pay the premium.

I like you approach of collecting the same slabs per category (PSA for holos and rest for non-holos). However, I also echo what @tstark20 mentioned, the card is what matters. So I would personally go for the best copy of the card, regardless of the company grading it.

Cheers!

1 Like

Are you collecting cards or are you collecting cases? If I have a PC card in a CGC 9 case which I think looks nicer than some PSA 10s I’ve seen, I’m happy to keep that 9 in my mostly PSA collection.

To me, this gets even easier to justify when the same CGC case sells at a discount in a rising market. I’ve been collecting more cards in CGC cases than ever.

1 Like

Thanks, everyone. My main concern is comparable condition rather than matching labels. I own a few BGS 9 holos that look nicer than my PSA 9 copies, though that’s too small a sample to draw conclusions about grading standards.

I think I’ve absorbed the perception that CGC is “inferiour.” For those collecting across graders, how do CGC/BGS 9s compare with PSA 9s, especially for non-holos? If I can find similarly clean copies, I’d happily mix slabs and put the savings toward other cards.

Separately, I worry that PSA could keep rising while CGC loses value or becomes difficult to sell. I don’t know how realistic that scenario is, how seriously would you take that risk?

I think PSA 9 tends to be, on average, superior condition to CGC 9. But I don’t care what the label says about my PC card, I can assess the condition from outside the case.

Here, we’ve moved from collecting to making money in the hobby, which is not the same ballgame. People who have made the most money over time have bought the PSA grade, not necessarily the card in the case. I try to avoid predicting the future and buy value now.

CGC is already difficult to sell. PSA has a network of institutional buyers and dealers who provide liquidity for the PSA ecosystem and support prices. Liquidity is a huge part of the PSA value proposition in 2026. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t find great deals on cards in CGC cases.

I see where you’re coming from. I have nothing against CGC or BGS (in fact I think CGC cases look way better than PSA), but my entire collection is PSA and having a mix would drive me crazy.

If you’re concerned about resale value or future liquidity → PSA
If you’re concerned about matching your PSA slabs → PSA

Otherwise, collect what you like and what makes sense to you. After all, we are card collectors and not plastic or label collectors (hopefully lol). Great cards can show up in any graded slab or outside of slabs, and I’d rather spend my money wisely on great cards than on coherent plastic/labels.

2 Likes