Legit check on this PSA slab?

Hi E4 :blush: No idea what thread this would even fall under so I’m sure this fits well in general questions hehe - Always thought the sight of a card in graded form was pretty much all the assurance you needed that you were purchasing an authentic card. Unfortunately, a mate has gotten me slightly paranoid after mentioning how he felt even PSA cases could be counter-fitted, maybe even more so in present times given this period of growth in the hobby. As mentioned I personally had never questioned the authenticity of PSA slabs or even heard of any issues with them, but after a quick search it would seem there are a few things to watch out for… So please offer a legit check on this Empoleon Lv.X!! :rage: Personally the card looks absolutely authentic to me, and I never paid too much attention to the PSA case itself but my doubt has finally caused me to notice and research that PSA have updated their cases over the years, in order to combat this very issue (this Empoleon being one of the earlier ones pre “lighthouse label”). The serial number on this slab also seems to confirm it as one of their earlier ones.

International seller so unable to personally check for things such as being able to see the PSA logo through the back of the card etc. Also just quickly before this turns into a whole essay, apparently it was either the 0xxx or 1xxx serial codes that were involved in a PSA slab scam sometime ago in Orlando or something?? :laughing: Someone please confirm.

Cheers xoxo

It looks good to me. I wouldn’t worry too much about fake PSA cards. It’s usually pretty easy to spot and it’s typically a charizard or another very valuable card that they are trying to scam people with.

2 Likes

It’s fine. Counterfeit cases are not really a thing, and if they were it would probably happen to a different card and it would probably not be a 9

1 Like

Thank you big man mod :face_with_spiral_eyes:

I doubt anyone would fake a level X in a 9 that isn’t charizard, especially one with such an old label

1 Like

Yeh look my mate and the old as label threw me off, had me wondering where the shiny PSA logo was :laughing: All these replies don’t have to come for poor Empoleon so hard tho damn

You can verify the card through PSAs website. It will tell you all the details on the label and even what it should look like (what type of label it used) as well as the pop report for that card and grade. Usually a good idea before buying if you can read the cert number.

• Check cert + label security features
  • Look for signs of tampering (frosting, cracks, etc.)

Pretty much these two checks will be sufficient.

It’s legit. That is an example of an older PSA slab, therefore it might look a little different than the oness you are used to seeing.

No good guides exist here (yet), however this baseball thread shows the different cases from the beginning to 2016.
www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=184419

Then in 2017 they changed it up again to add more security features.
www.psacard.com/security