Ken Sugimori

I searched through the topics and wasn’t able to find an answer. Arita signs rather regularly and Fukuda just made a special appearance in Dallas. Is Sugimori not a fan of signing? I know he’s one of the most coveted and saw he was at Worlds 2007 but I haven’t been able to see if he was outright done with signings all together.

I recall seeing a video @smpratte put out regarding this and recall him saying that a Ken Sugimori signed card is very tough to get these days, but I do not recall the exact reasons as to why.

Could you link the video where you discuss Ken Sugimori Scott or can someone else find it? I remember you showing off that sweet signed Blastoise you have I think. Let me know if I’m going crazy.

1 Like

He is not allowed to sign except for certain circumstances allowed by the Pokemon company. Hence the premium on his signature

1 Like

I should have just searched to see if Scott had already discussed this and I just found my answer. Thanks guys.

2 Likes

@gengarbrigade , Boom-shaka-lacka

On a side note, I have a spare Mint condition Grand Party just chillen in my zipfolio for the day it can possibly be signed. We shall see if that day ever comes. For this reason I really don’t want to sell it, despite having a graded copy already.

1 Like

Wow, that’s awesome. I have some mint condition random Sugimori cards IF he ever decides to do it again. After watching Scott’s video, seems like a fat chance but you never know.

As another member has already stated, it seems that Ken Sugimori ONLY has been doing signatures for individuals that are personally invited out to Japan to visit the headquarters.

Even then, the people invited usually have some sort of celebrity status, or won some sort of contest put on by the Pokemon Company.

It should also be noted that he doesn’t or hasn’t signed any cards at these special personal events. Instead he does a custom art piece, and signs that.

Sugimori has stated he stopped doing autographs because people kept stealing his markers at the tables. Even after attempts to tape a big flower to the top of these markers , they still were stolen and flipped on eBay. Until that problem is fixed I’m afraid we won’t see him do any signings.

Sugimori is contracted by creatures. That contract is binding. All other artists, even Arita are more free lance. Which is why Arita can be more nimble and do signings.

Not only is there the legalize, but Sugimori is a private person. His last signing was worlds 2007.

1 Like

It’s also important to keep in mind that many Sugimori signatures have been faked via autopen or even just really bad copying and some of them have passed through PSA. If you’re in the market for a signature be very critical of it.

4 Likes

Key advice. Steer clear until he’s freed up then he’ll be signing like crazy;)

I didn’t even think of that. Remember, Chris Sabat (Vegeta, Piccolo etc) gave me his Gold marker used on the poster? I still got it Lol.

1 Like

Gary I was under the influence of " special " gummy bears from the " special " pharmacy Rebecca brought home when I typed this response :joy:

@fourthstartcg, Exactly! Like with 1st Ed/Shadowless Base boxes, its all about provenance. Even some of the PSA examples were autopen.

That’s not correct. He’s allowed to sign his name whenever and whereever he wants. It’s his own signature after all :blush:

When an artist produces artwork under the employment of a company like Nintendo, sometimes that artist can be barred from re-producing the same artwork for purposes outside of their employment contract. Since the drawings that Ken produced are owned and copy-written by Nintendo, he might not be allowed to draw Pokemon art for fans. I’ve been told that this was the case, but that didn’t stop Ken from doing a quick signature and sketch for me years ago. Although I wouldn’t be surprised if the Pokemon company became more strict about sketches, especially for large-scale signings like Arita does.

Something tells me that if either Okubo or Ishihara told him to cool it on the signings he’d probably comply.

@garyis2000 I agree. I just don’t believe that that conversation has actually taken place. It’s a rumor.

I thought we agreed to snipe Sugimori so that our autographs maintain their premium? Pokemon will die, but that’s a small price to pay for salvation.

I certainly don’t know it as being true.