JP Store refuses to transact with Vietnamese customers

Hm

as @rabby250 once pointed out, organised scalping and scamming in Japan mostly comes from Mainland China and Vietnam

6 Likes

Sucks to see things like this but I can’t say that I am surprised. Japan has long held xenophobic beliefs.

2 Likes

Most people on this forum refuse to sell to Italians

Smh Pokemon community

6 Likes

17 Likes

Once the trust is broken, you won’t know what to trust anymore.

That juice is Japanese

5 Likes

Could be bought by foreigners living in Japan.

Please don’t speculate. That card store’s practice of not buying from Vietnamese nationals is really just a racist, xenophobic practice - there’s absolutely no need to defend it.

(Edit: I misread the initial post, the policy is not to buy from Vietnamese nationals.)

5 Likes

They probably need to move out of Vietnam, rid citizenship first, and can buy cards next time

It’s very disappointing to see. Sometimes I forget that Japan can be xenophobic towards other nationalities and it’s just considered normal there. Even judging from the comments on twitter, most Japanese people seem to support the decision.

1 Like

Can understand their stand completely. The pain and anguish from precious collector’s items lost overseas cannot be easily eased by shouts of “don’t speculate” and “be fair” from the other end of the spectrum.

Others whose life is a bed of roses can easily jump on their high moral wagon and judge people. Typical.

This is from the outside looking in, we’re not immune to this behaviour if there are buyers or sellers from certain countries we cannot trust. Region filters on ebay exist for this reason

1 Like

Judging someone based on their nationality is just wrong (especially in person). It might be just my opinion, but I’ll stick by it.

Everyone is different, same with opinions.

2 Likes

Aren’t these filters on Ebay so you can avoid regions for tax or regulatory issues? I don’t think these are intended to exclude buyers or sellers based on their nationality or race.

Regardless, I don’t think racism or xenophobia is justified to promote “secure transactions.” On a larger scale, you can probably exclude countries based on their lack of financial oversight, but exclusion based on race is just saying “you are genetically dishonest.”

Yup, “pain and anguish” are felt most intensely by collectors who have lost their cards - even more so than those who face discrimination based on their race or nationality. :roll_eyes:

It is also because transactions that went sour were affiliated with people from said regions, that are common enough to have that region blocked. I understand it as risk elimination for continuing business (online or in person), but I can also see people just taking it as discrimination. Like @neverforget50in07 said, everyone is different, therefore their experiences are also different

3 Likes

Honestly it wouldn’t be a big deal if it was just an online store refusing to ship to a certain country as that is a more common practice among anyone or store.

In person it’s different since it’s a face to face interaction with a specific individual and your being denied a service cause of your nationality.

Obviously the store has their reasons and they have a right to choose their customers, just like customers get to choose where they like to shop or sell at.

I think lots of other shops are doing this unofficially too. This one just happened to announce it publicly and make it their official policy.

Not surprising to see such a simplistic approach applied to combat a much wider problem than just a few people from a specific country. This is Japan after all.

Is there any more context on what happened so as to reach such a decision?