Japanese Expedition Set - 1st edition only?

Hi all, I’ve been looking for some specific cards from the Japanese Expedition set (Base expansion pack) and I haven’t been able to find the unlimited versions in actual years. Like…10+ years.

I feel like I’ve seen unlimited cards from the set before but never the ones I need: the Abra evo line.

Can anyone confirm one way or the other? End my torment.

Thanks

2 Likes

Yes, they exist but are extraordinarily rare. A notable exception is ponyta which was given out as unlimited in as an info pack promo so it is much more common.
www.psacard.com/pop/tcg-cards/2001/pokemon-japanese-expedition/99974You can see some examples in the pop report. I’ve heard these were given out at some kind of tournament and also I heard something about not all e1 cards being available as unlimited. Others can provide more details.

4 Likes

www.elitefourum.com/t/japanese-unlimited-e-series-1-cards-base-expansion-pack/16426/1

This is the thread for you my good sir

7 Likes

I have a blog article all about the set: pichu.blog/unlimited-e1.

The tl;dr is that we don’t know with any certainty where the cards originated and - including the Ponyta card which @pkmnflyingmaster mentioned above - only 6 cards from the Expedition set itself are known to exist in unlimited and 9 cards from the 29-card Pokémon-e Starter Deck are known to exist in unlimited so far.

The two best theories we have so far are that they were either from a learning event at one of Japan’s Pokémon Center stores (which only 1 listing back in 2017 has ever hinted at) or the 2002 Shogakukan Spring Break Illustration Contest which featured an abnormal-looking Pokémon-e Starter Deck as a promotional image. Neither have enough data points to really back them up: if it was a learning event, why are there no trainer cards? If it was a special Pokémon-e Starter Deck: why have we only seen a handful of the cards and why would Charizard and Pichu be part of that?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 Likes

Thank you all, I appreciate the supporting info. Based on the pop report and the PichuFan blog entry, I’m going to remove the unlimited cards from my spreadsheets.

1 Like