Is the new CGC better?

So I wanted to ask a quick question. I’ve graded multiple times before but never Pokémon.

I really like the turnaround time at CGC and the look of the new slabs. The black is looking much better than the blue imo, price is also nice.

Has CGC been the new go to when grading for Pokemon? I was wondering if there was anything I needed to keep in mind. I was going to send in bulk with a friend but I think CGC may be better
I’ve seen plenty of different articles so if there is a specific one I should be looking at, I apologize, please link me.

(I try not to repost the same things without looking through the history first)

No, not really. PSA is the main grading company for Pokemon by a long shot. But if you like CGC, you should use them. They’re pretty quick and their grading is fair.

6 Likes

Too strict, even more strict than BGS. All your PSA 10s becomes 9s in their hands.

Forget about getting their black label. Not recognised and much harder to get than BGS black label. BGS black and gold labels are nicer too.

I’m grading with CGC now, although I used to grade with PSA.

• much better price (especially with a membership)
  • much faster turnaround
  • clearer slabs
  • possibility of an incredible Pristine label
  • PSA might be damaging cards?
5 Likes

I personally would never grade with CGC because they have no future and no grading fee savings justifies the money you lose by not going PSA. But to each their own.

I think in the future landfills will be full of cracked CGC slabs. Thank God graded cards can be ungraded or else I’d be depressed if I put my item in a CGC slab and it was forever stuck there.

5 Likes

16 Likes

I agree that psa is stil the king and likely to remain that way. I also like the new cgc for the reasons outlined by others. Im also concerned thst psa is back to 3+ month turn around time and lots of reports of the top right corner damage.

Idk how psa hasent solved for the corner issue yet but then multiple different people are reporting it with proof and its always the same spot would think it would be an easy fix.

2 Likes

Where did CGC hurt you?

1 Like

I personally would never grade with PSA because they have no prestige and no sales numbers justifies the confidence in card quality you lose by not going CGC. But to each their own.

I think in the future landfills will be full of cracked slabs. Thank God graded cards can be ungraded or else I’d be depressed if I put my item in a slab and it was forever stuck there.

2 Likes

It comes down to the same question it always has: are you grading for resale purposes only? If so, then PSA is the way to go. People pay an absolutely bonkers premium for PSA slabs that has never really made sense but has gotten worse over time.

For PC, I’m with you 100%. CGC has the better slab by a long shot for me, and I like their grading scale better. Also the turnaround is at minimum two months quicker than PSA on the cheaper tiers. But your resale value is lower, sometimes by a massive amount. That does not seem to be changing in the near future

2 Likes

As long as the PSA shills stay the way they are we can get the same cards for 50% the price. It’s a pretty good scenario imo. I’m not in a rush for it to change

1 Like

Good thing slabs are recyclable :+1:t2:

1 Like

Like your sense of humour! :+1:

:rofl:

Nearly all plastic ends up in a landfill or or burnt. Even if you put it in the blue bin.