Is the current situation "too" positive?(Wotc Product/Cards)

There are a lot of whales in the water now. More and more coming in buying up everything and paying whatever to get it. I’m not worried. The second a booster box is listed 10% under market someone buys it in an instant. Everyone knows you can box break it with a premium for unweighed packs plus make the 10%. That kills 2 birds with 1 stone. Keeps prices up and that box break takes 1 more out of existence.

5 Likes

Yup, it’s too good. In laffing my way to the bank.

You’re never going to get the PERCENTAGE gains in the future that someone like Scott or Gary or PokeRev made by having the foresight of getting in at the beginning, that time has passed.

That being said, would you be upset at the market slowing down significantly and making just,for example, a 50% return over the next decade for a piece of cardboard with a pocket monster on the front encased in some cheap plastic?

3 Likes

I think it’s understandable because a lot of people don’t relate to the nostalgic value of these items. Despite being the largest multi-media franchise, the percentage of large investors and collectors is still fairly niche.

From a different perspective, it absolutely makes more sense to invest 100k into gold, cars, or even sports/ music memorabilia - because those items are much more socially acceptable compared to colored animals on cardboard. We don’t want to accept it, but there are many, many people who will always believe that Pokemon is only a children’s game.

Take your profits and save yourself the trouble of arguing.

I am 18 years old ^^ Right now I collect sealed packs from base to ex series (and also dpp/hgss) even if I grew up with Dpp/hgss/bw. But I look forward seeing more interest in the ~2009/+/- sets. People grewing up with Platinum will love lv x cards, and we also love the holo cards. I am much more interested in these as in fossil cards as an example.

1 Like

All I have to say to this is:

www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=disney&_sacat=0&_sop=16

I’ll tell people what I do, if anyone decides to do the same it’s on them as to what results they get.

The only speculative investments I own are gold/silver and Pokémon. (Speculative investments, to me, are tangible goods that need to be sold off to get money out of them, unlike bonds that build money over time, stocks that can give dividends, or real estate/businesses that get money from rent/sales)

My reasoning for going for these two is simple. If Pokemon gets hit with a recession, historically the best investments for recessions have been gold/silver. Gold/silver itself is a very poor investment, but my Pokémon cards have been very good.

In theory when one does bad the other does good. If Pokemon is hit hard with a recession as some seem to worry I should be fine as I hold a lot in a recession resistant investment.

I also hold my traditional stock and bond investments. If people are worried about a recession that tells me they either aren’t prepared for the worst, or they have too much invested in one asset. A good balance should be made, this is what diversifying is. If one thing goes bad you’re protected by another. I wouldn’t call my portfolio very diverse, but I understand the concept enough that I’m willing to go for investments I know and trust that I’ll be fine. It also doesn’t hurt that I’m very capable of living off the land, so my worry is pretty low.

1 Like

If you’re talking about the vhs listings that the equivalent of someone listing their unlimited base machamp for $1,000. Just more fake news telling people they have something valuable that’s just bs lies.

I think Gary was just using the number of Ebay listings for “disney” as a way to demonstrate that you can have an active and viable market based on children’s entertainment media

4 Likes

I’m with cullers. Though he probably has a lot more than me, I’m diversified in the same way and feel comfortable with it. Recently our stocks went down 1% but gold climbed 1 1/2% to 1550.00oz. Don’t keep all your eggs in one basket.

1 Like

You’re right my man;)

1 Like

I mean, gold and silver are literally money so not sure if they qualify as “speculative”? Say the US experiences hyper-inflation where a loaf of bread costs $10,000, you would likely be able to also take an ounce or two of silver to the store and directly trade that as currency for the bread instead of $10,000. I doubt you’d be able to trade in a pokemon card at the store.

But yes, I understand your meaning here in this time and market where in order to see cash, you’d need to physically sell/trade in your tangible metal. Gold and silver will always have value, paper USD on the other hand might not. Great thing to diversify and balance your pokemon collection with.

1 Like

I doubt you can go into most places and buy any service with pure gold/silver. You could use US mint gold/silver coins, but I doubt anyone without proper knowledge would accept them beyond their face value, nor do I think you could use foreign minted gold/silver coins as payment. You might be a state that has a law that allows you to pay in gold/silver directly to the government (I don’t remember which states those are).

If you wish to call gold/silver a form of currency you very well may. It just means you can add in foreign currency and crypto as speculative investments, which I do. Just to make sure we’re on the same page, which I think we are when it comes to everything, just getting our semantics in line.

1 Like

Today Gold did quite well so if anybody wants to pay me with it…deal:)

2 Likes

m

Not a good sign if gold is surging …

1 Like

What do they say in the crypto boards? HODL!

What can I get with these :stuck_out_tongue:?

1 Like

@garyis2000, @cullers, I was never disagreeing that children’s media can’t reach substantial value. The original comment was why people still don’t believe that Pokemon will continue increasing in value as an investment. My answer was that there is still a lot of stigma surrounding children’s media.

To an extent, it can be seen as “socially unacceptable” to call Pokemon an investment, even if those people are wrong.

That mentality is changing everyday. If I tell my friends I invest and collect graded Pokémon cards, they won’t laugh… instead they will ask where can I sign up? The awareness around alternative asset classes is improving and vintage Pokémon cards and products fit in that category.

2 Likes

I’m 22 and I have a lot of interest and nostalgia for WOTC era stuff. I maybe wasn’t around for the original release for a lot of the sets, but I still remember finding WOTC boosters for many years. For example I have vivid memories of (my parents) buying team rocket boosters in my local shopping center, but I definitely wasn’t 3 years old when this happened. I also had cards from base set, jungle, fossil etc. in my collection, whether I got them from boosters or trading with kids who maybe had older siblings. I was also bought 2 base set starter decks one christmas due to confused family members thinking they’d give different cards like boosters :blush: So at least in the UK, WOTC product from 2000 and before must have still been lingering around/getting restocked in retail stores for a good few years.

3 Likes