International shipping advice for new eBay seller

Hi Efour!

I recently started to sell PSA-graded cards on eBay, but, as a new seller, I am a bit concerned about international shipping, especially with all of the stories going around about cards lost in the mail.

I am based in the US, and right now I have set my shipping preferences so only those with continental US addresses can purchase my cards. I am worried that this will affect the business, but at the same time, am worried about cards getting lost and extra international fees. At the moment I only have about 10 cards listed selling for high hundreds.

My questions are:

Is it worth it to allow shipping outside of the continental US for my situation?

And, how do you handle selling cards to international locations?

If you’re worried about shipping internationally you can use eBay’s GSP service. It means you ship the item to an eBay warehouse location in your country and they will deal with shipping it internationally.

The main downside to doing this is that it attracts high fees for international buyers - I believe GSP impose a pretty hefty admin fee. As an example I’m in the UK and I’m using GSP at the moment for international sales and I’ve had a few US and Canadian people asking if I can lower the shipping cost, but that’s entirely in GSP’s control - I offer free shipping within the UK, but GSP charge something like $22 to ship an item from their UK warehouse to the US/Canada even though I could do that myself for around $10.

2 Likes