International First Class Problems?

As of the last year or so, I’ve only been offering USPS Priority International exclusively to my overseas customers. I started doing this because I’ve had more than several packages “go missing” when using First Class International and Priority is just a safer and quicker shipping experience. However, I feel like I am losing quite a bit of business (most of my customers used to be international customers, but that number has dwindled since the change).

So, my question is: should I offer First Class International again and provide a disclaimer that if a package is lost, then it is not my fault considering that tracking is available for the service? Would something like that actually work in my favor if a case were to be opened?

I know that Gary would say to just work the potential loss into the prices of my available items, but with how competitive things have become (especially regarding PSA-graded cards) it seems extremely difficult to do so.

I doubt a disclaimer would help if you cannot provide proof of sending/tracking although I may be misunderstanding your post.

It may or not work, it really depends on the customer rep who views your case if the buyer opens a PayPal/eBay claim. I believe that they hold the seller responsible for getting the package to the customer, so even if the USPS drops the ball and loses the package, you’re still held accountable. The only way you’d be really safe is if the tracking shows that there was an attempted delivery in the buyer’s country. You can however file a claim with the post office, and they have to refund you for the declared value of the package if they lose it.

I think as long as you have tracking that proves you sent the package then you’re ok. Although it may not be the best for retaining customers, you’re technically not at-fault because you fulfilled your duties as a seller, which is to ship the item and prove that you did. Then it’s in the hands of the USPS, who you pay for a service, and if they don’t deliver, any claim by your buyer should be paid by them.

I spoke with an eBay rep over the phone about something like this, and her position was that sellers are responsible for proving they shipped the item. Once there is a tracking number and it is updated, then they know you did everything you could to get the item to the buyer. Circumstances like lost while shipping (if it is tracked) are not the seller’s responsibility.

I send using first class package for over a year. Hundreds of shipments and only a few problems. Nothing gone missing.

There are several countries many sellers block. Brazil is blocked by almost all because shipments were taking upwards of 3 months. Greece was a another one to avoid, failing economy, lots of scammers. Indonesia has shady customs agents.

I did a near $1500 trade with a guy in Indonesia. He told me the customs people will open sealed boxes. If the packages are high enough value they will take “bribes” to get their packages. Also my package never got checked as delivered on the online tracking. The guy I traded with said he could have filed a case with paypal (we did a paypal trade) and got his money back. It could be risky send to those 3 places.

2 Likes

I doubt a disclaimer would help since you are still responsible for at least a good Tracking #.

Good post @hisoka107. :blush:

2 Likes

If you can’t prove that the package was delivered, you will lose the eBay/PayPal claim at least 85% of the time. Both groups take the “Buyer’s Always Right” approach really seriously. They don’t really care if you shipped; if the buyer opens an “item not received” case, and the tracking doesn’t show the package was delivered or there was an attempted delivery at the buyer’s address, you’re going to lose those funds :slightly_frowning_face:

In which case, even if you get the post office to cover the cost of shipping/package, you’re still out your money and your merch…

You’re right, it’s sort of the same situation as listings were sellers clearly state “No refunds/returns under any circumstances”. You can select no returns for your listing, and you can say you won’t give refunds, but if you lose a case, that goes out the window and all that matters is what PayPal/eBay has to say on the matter. Alot of people get buyer’s remorse, and they can get a return using lame excuses even if your return policy is to accept no returns :confused:

Thanks for the responses everyone! I have added First Class again and hopefully all goes well :blush:

I’ve got a funny story from a seller friend of mine. I’m not sure if many of you know edmerlr on ebay but he’s very good describing cards and packages cards very.

So he sold over dozen promos to Europe. The seller filed a return. When ed got the cards he opened the package to find all heavily played cards inside. He won the case but I find it funny people try to get away with this.

All the best! just remember the majority of buyers are legitimate, unfortunately a few turds in the punch bowl ruin it for everyone.