Inserts of promo cards

I love it when they are fun little chase cards that are inexpensive, hate it when it’s a super rare card I didn’t know about 5 minutes ago but now know I’ll never own because of rarity and/or cost haha :sob: So far this one seems to be fun, just wish I could remember and we could narrow it down more. Because it’s all just a gamble now and multiple gambles could add up fast. I’ve asked a few sellers on eBay selling related things to the guesses but no further leads or replies yet. Fingers crossed!

1 Like

there were also Pokemon Center NY inserts and little like mail in postcards as well. for the PCNY promos those are getting to be harder and harder to find

1 Like

The center inserts are the red ones with celebi on I’m guessing, the ones that came sealed with 40 and 41.

What were the mail in postcards though, do you have any pictures?

they were like promos like the inserts from the VHS/DVDs, example when the jirachi movie was out they had a promo of like events taking place or when a new game was out like FR/LG. some were pokemon leauge ones that just told people come spend like 10-20 on cards and get a free promo or something as well. i have some of the older inserts somewhere in my binders but i have to dig though them

Picked these up a while back

imgur.com/a/RLGF6S3

1 Like

@thirdeye, those are so nice!

1 Like

I’ve found the same postcards as mentioned by @thirdeye, specifically the pikachu/pichu version and the totdile version. I have found ones with different backs though. Just wondering if anyone had info about them, knows the origin or why they are different?

My assumption is that they printed different reverse faces to promote certain events or seasons, while the front of the postcards stayed the same. The ones GOTTA posted above look like they’re from opening week and August 2001. Yours might be from different months.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m trying to match the backs to the ones GOTTA posted. These backs are also copyright 2001, which I’m guessing matched the pikachu/totodile. The other backs posted seem to all be 2002 as they have coupons that expire that year and are copyright 2002. I’m guessing they are for the suicune and celebi ones. Not sure about the meowth one though. Think GOTTA might help match them up soon and we can see.

Anyone heard of Gocard before? Tried the URL postcode.com (by the way, what an amazing domain to have had), but it’s long since dead and not on way back either.

You’re probably right though, sometime between opening week and the end of 2001.

-UPDATE-

This card is the reason I joined this forum, because I could find nothing about it and thought where better to go asking. Well…

I think I have found a version of the insert card that is still sealed. This has been a fun hunt for what was just an insignificant insert card that I found in my childhood collection. This may answer one source of where the card came from, but it also poses a lot of new questions because it is sealed in a product I never owned.

The product in question is a sealed WOTC Team Rocket 3-ring Binder. This is something I have been looking to pick up for a few months, and just by pure chance one listing I found on Facebook marketplace had the sleeves, checklist, and this card still sealed. I still can’t confirm if it is the same card because it is sealed, but would strongly assume the other side has the rocket promo.

As for the card itself, I still think there is a lot to be known about it. This will be a fantastic step into having a solid lead, as it is a sealed copy with product and we now have one confirmed source. However, the one copy I do currently have is from my childhood, and I never owned this binder and would never have traded for such a card.

As far as I can tell so far, this card is a UK exclusive. The seller I have purchased this from is UK based and it is from his childhood collection too. What is slightly strange about this insert is the contact number is the US contact number. (Although not completely unusual for the UK promos)

If we look at the legendary bird promo insert, the US version has a contact number of
1-800-877-4866 (the same as this rocket insert)
whereas the UK version of the legendary bird promo insert has the contact number
0345-12-55-99 or +44 1628 780530

Now, this still does not explain where I got my original copy of the insert from, but I have a theory. Although never owning the Team Rocket WOTC 3-ring binder, I do own two WOTC Snorlax 3-ring binders. Very similar product, but I feel if it was in there I would currently have two of the insert cards in my collection. I now believe this insert was just added into various UK products at random, perhaps for a certain factory batch to promote the Rocket Set.

For anyone still hunting or reading or who even cares I feel the best places to look would be:
-Team Rocket WOTC 3-ring binder
-UK version Pokemon the First Movie
-Team Rocket Deck Box
-Snorlax WOTC 3-ring binder

When it arrives I will give an update with some better pictures!

2 Likes

Awesome fine @livindavido, that’s so exciting. And I’m glad neither of us opened any of the sealed stuff we were wondering about. I bet it will be a lot easier to track down now that we know where it comes from.

It’s funny because I see this binder all the time, and saw tons of results when I was looking for extras of the Rocket deck box, and it might have been right under my nose all along.

Okie doke!
I took some pictures of the front and back of the postcards for reference. I hope this helps.

Grand opening postcards imgur.com/a/qAXvvLr

1 Like

Bump.
I’ve made a little update to the main post, changing completely the subject from me asking around to reorganizing and cataloguing the different variants and most important, I’ve added pics.
It’s been a year but I’m not giving up!

Spoiler for next update:

6 Likes

It also completely unfolds and reveals lots of art and some words/promo stuff on the inside. The front and back are probably only about 30-50% of what’s on this card which to me makes it even more special.

I’ve never actually seen the inside though and would love to see if anyone has a picture. I would never dare open this because it is actually glued shut. All experience I’ve had with 20 year old glue (looking at you unpeeled Japanese) indicates opening one up would tear where the glue is and it would be a mess. The way it opens means there is also a strong chance you would get a crease going vertically down the centre of the gameboy side.

I can try and take some more pictures of what I mean tomorrow when I have time to carefully do it.

If anyone does have a picture of the inside I am DYING to see it. It’s just too expensive and rare to rip open but sure someone did it when they came out.

4 Likes

I have this one. Give me a minute.

Edit:

6 Likes

Ahhh peace of mind at last. Did you rip it open or buy it open? Looks very cleanly done!

1 Like

I opened it myself, found a listing low enough that it was worth it to me. Sometimes I pay just for the knowledge.

4 Likes

French website did a great job with insert, if you search for more information :

2 Likes

This is Gold.

Since the french already stole from the thread (it’s in their sources), I’ll go ahead and steal back from them. Seems Fair.

I don’t know when, but I’ll do.

2 Likes

Not an insert card per say, but thought it fit this thread haha

2 Likes