1999 movie promo set - two different packaging style?

I am browsing pokemon history and see the 1999 movie promo cards of pikachu mewto dragonite Electabuzz

but I am wondering why it appears there are two different types of sealed cards. one with a yellow card ‘collect all 4 cards’

and another “catch new”

what is the difference ?

The cards themselves have no difference. Only the inserts are different. But you’re indeed correct there are (at least?) three different insert versions for the WB promos. Here all three Pikachu cards from my personal collection:

Usually these inserts differ per region they were released in. If I’m not mistaken, the square-cut Catch Mew and Collect Four versions are from the US and the Pokémon League version is from the UK. I’m not sure if and which version was released in Australia for the WB promos.

I also collect the Moltres WotC promo in all sealed variations, and as you can see there are a lot of different inserts depending on where it was given.

Here six from the US, UK, second US, Germany, France, and Italy:

And here the very rare variant with Game Boy Color insert from Australia, which I was finally able to buy after searching for it for 2.5 years a few months back:

The promos inside these sealed backs are all the same though for the WB promos. (And for the Moltres the English ones have a misprinted and corrected illustrator version; and the German, French, and Italian sealed packs of course contain the Moltres in those respective languages.)

Greetz,
Quuador

6 Likes

Very nice question!
@quuador, could you make a complete “guide” for these kinds of “inserts”? I was watching this video and saw all these different typs… and felt a little overwhelmed

thanks so much man great response. the game boy one is cool lol

also - the square cut ones confirm WoTC did atleast make something square cut lol

1 Like

Sorry, apart from what I mentioned above I’m not too familiar with every insert of every promo, especially the non-English ones. I only collect the Moltres in all sealed variations, and the three English Pikachus I have I just bought on impulse as a triplet last year. No doubt I could figure out most inserts by gathering a lot of information from videos like the one you’ve linked of TCA Gaming and pictures on eBay listings, but it’s not really in my own interest tbh.

If you have questions about an insert in general you can always ask me. :blush: But sorry, I’m not going to write an article about these.

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

@quuador, I can totally understand you, no worries. I will put together as much as I can and maybe you can give it an overview later

Have a nice day
Cracker

1 Like