Inked cards

buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/b1025879427
Recently bought a decent pile of japanese holos, they looked near mint in the photos and scans, but sure enough the seller inked the shit outta them before scanning them. Nothing i can really do but i would suggest avoiding this seller or being cautious of their scans for anyone who frequents yahoo japan. 50% were inked, all charizards and lugias, random other ones. One of the new backs was inked too with gold nail polish lol. Looking for any positive notes people might able to offer, a good joke, a good tip for how to avoid this for me and others to learn from, or anything else people might want to offer. The money amount is relatively high for me, but i can live with it, the ones which werenā€™t inked were in pretty good shape so at least it isnt all bad.

Iā€™m sorry to hear that this happened to you!

Do you have some close ups of the inked cards at all? The listing looks ā€œlegitimateā€ enough so itā€™s quite worrying to think that they are being sold defaced without visible indication.

AT.

This is the hidden cost associated with buying straight from Japan. When youā€™re paying the lowest prices with no protection, this is what sometimes happens. Sucks but itā€™s just part of the process

2 Likes

Heres one of the worst ones, majority of the edge on the back has ink on it. . Tapatalk only lets me upload pictures one per post.

Dang that sucks! A lot of cards to be inkedā€¦ but if youā€™re looking to offload the alto mare pair Iā€™m willing even if itā€™s inked haha! :ā€™D

Yeah, a kick in the nuts is a kick in the nuts no matter the justification. I dont excuse sellers for bad tactics regardless of the situation, if anything this seller makes it harder for other responsible sellers to go about their business. All the cat fishing on yahoo japan lately has gotten pretty crazy, over the last 2 years i feel like its gotten way worse.

The shitty thing is that i wouldve paid the same price had their been the whitening, but being that its ink i struggle with how i should feel about them

I appreciate the interest but this isnt the place to make a transaction. Theres some good options available on ebay right now though

That sucks. This type of stuff happens to the best of us.

In their description they say:

ā€œThere was a card with repaint marks to make white spots less noticeable. Please note that all the cards are not checked exactly one by one, but just a quick glance through the sleeve.ā€

Itā€™s hard through Yahoo Japan as you donā€™t have that direct line of communication so you have to use your best judgement.

Big difference between ā€œa cardā€ and every card aside from the lowest value ones

Yeh thats true. It gives the seller an ā€˜outā€™ though that the cards could be inked but they havenā€™t checked them all.

Yeah :man_facepalming:

Itā€™s not so much a ā€œjustificationā€ as it is a perspective. It sucks for sure but if you amortize the loss over many direct-from-Japan purchases, you will almost certainly still end up ahead.

1 Like

Is 2k a lot of money to you?

2000 would pay my bills for 3-4 months. In pokemon, meh, $2000 is about a weekly purchase amount. But in my real job thats almost a months worth of work. Its not peanuts but its not a make or break me amount

Bills are around $6,000 to $8,000 a year. Income from job is a number more than $24,000 a year. Pokemon purchases are $104,000 a year. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Anyway, after checking the listing Iā€™d probably avoid it due to amount of whitening on a few of the cards in pics, white background on scans, and the condition stated was a bit damaged. I try to judge lots like these based off the worst condition card I can see which typically ends with me only buying one or two listings like these a year. Iā€™m really picky with my Yahoo purchases because I know if something goes wrong then Iā€™m out of luck.

4 Likes

My bills are paid from my job, my pokemon purchases are paid for from my pokemon sales

1 Like

Iā€™ve only bought things through one of the 3rd party services, Iā€™m guessing thereā€™s no buyer/seller protections through Yahoo JP or any relief you can get from your CC company?

I know, it sucks. I purchased a set of Masaki Promos from Japanese Yahoo Auctions that had very subtle black inking on the back that itā€™s was very difficult to spot and could only be detected by looking at the side and seeing the ink bleed. I was gutted but the cards look great in a binder which is 95% the reason I got them.

Time heals :confounded:

1 Like

Does that not make you a full time Pokemon enthusiast and do your day job as a hobby XD