Impulse Pokemon Buys?

So I went to the store to buy some coffee creamer but ended up with these darn hidden fates collection boxes, has anyone else experienced similar problems?

11 Likes

That particular instance has never happened to me before as I dont buy modern product and my local Walmart (which is the only store I frequent) has not once had a single hidden fates product in it since it was released.

But impulse buys, oh yeah! Iā€™m $6700 in debt thanks to impulse buys that came up I couldnā€™t miss out on! The internet is a dangerous placeā€¦

9 Likes

I purchased a hidden fates booster pack the other day at my local markets that I purchased my packs from back in 1999, very nostalgic. Thatā€™s about as impulsive as I get, Iā€™m a tight ass lol.

1 Like

just call them "investments":wink: it helps to dull the pain

7 Likes

I donā€™t have any local shops selling PokĆ©mon, so just like @mikejofthecoast I havenā€™t experiences that specific case. But also just like him: impulse buys online, definitely. Iā€™m actually waiting for one more item to arrive of all the things Iā€™ve bought in the month of October. Then I planned on making a collection update starting with "You ever had one of those months where you primarily bought on impulse? Things you couldnā€™t let pass when you came across them, even though theyā€™re outside of your collection goals? Well, October was one of those months for me. :wink: ". But again, Iā€™m waiting for one last arrival before Iā€™m updating my collection thread with all these impulse buys.

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

For modern product there are quite a lot of shops near me which stock PokĆ©mon, but where I always try to pick up 2 booster boxes for every new release I think Iā€™m able to avoid temptation to pick up any more when Iā€™m out and about.

As a collector of more obscure cards (PSA 10 Pichus and recently 2004-2007 Japanese promos) itā€™s hard not to be a little trigger happy when a card you rarely ever see pops up. What if I never see that card for sale? What if next time itā€™s double the price? Iā€™ve definitely overpaid for some of my PSA 10 Pichus for sure, but I know my limits.

I find it helps to be wary of the money you have available to you on a monthly basis. Sure, I could spend all of my monthly income on PokĆ©mon and eat beans for the rest of the month to make up for it, but thatā€™s not going to make me happy (my partner even less so!).

I also find it helps to have money put aside for the occasion - all of the cards listed on my buy thread here are cards which I can realistically afford to spend money on at any given time; sure, if someone came along with multiple of the more expensive ones Iā€™d probably have to arrange to buy them over the course of a couple of months, but otherwise I have that money available to me.

3 Likes

I donā€™t do Pokemon impulse buys on local stores here because sealed product is soooo expensive there. But sometimes I end up doing an impulse buy online.

Like literally yesterday: I have some PSA cards on display above my tv that I see every day and POP 3 Vaporeon holo PSA 9 is one of them. I love the POP 3 Eeveelutions especially as holo versions and I kinda forgot that I wanted them all graded.

So I went on eBay to check if there was any PSA 9 Jolteon or Flareon. Didnā€™t find a Flareon but found a Jolteon and I decided to put in on my watch list as I didnā€™t plan to buy it straight away.

It didnā€™t take long for the seller to send me a personal offer after I put it on my watch list and wellā€¦ I ended up buying it :grin:

3 Likes

Last night I went to my LGS and purchased a M Tyraniar EX FA (Ancient Origins) and a Mawile GX FA (Unified Minds) just because they were there and looking pack fresh for my modern binder. I paid $5.50 total. I love that I can buy two Ultra Rares for just over the price of the booster pack.

With regarding Hidden Fates, I snatched up the Metagross box when I saw it, and then went somewhere else the next day and found Zoroark. I hadnā€™t opened the Metagross box yet, but I knew I wanted Shiny Zoroark more. I opened Zoroark and stared at the Metagross box for about a week. Then I took it back because I know for the $50 dollars + tax I spent, I could buy a ton of shiny card singles, instead of gambling more than I originally wanted to. Although, I am going to wait until the Shiny Rayquaza boxes drop before I start scooping up those singles.

Thatā€™s a little extreme.

4 Likes

No chance for me since thereā€™s literally no stores selling cards nearby. Internet is dangerous tho :stuck_out_tongue:!

1 Like

Just recently impulse bought some Detective Pikachu tins. Seems like an easy set to complete and I enjoyed the movie so why not?

1 Like

A few months ago I was at the store and I saw a box of lucky charms cereal that had a PokĆ©mon pack with it! Even though I donā€™t like lucky charms I scooped it up, just to get the pack lol.

Iā€™ve also gone into to Walmart several times, just to get hygiene stuff or whatever and I end up leaving with booster packs lol.

@dragonitemail have you opened any of those packs?? Pulls??

3 Likes

What my debt? Or whatever KYS means said by 'M that appears to be gone now

Means ā€˜kill yourselfā€™ā€¦ which is a really weird comment to post on a thread like this, and an inappropriate one in general.

On topic: I do this all the time. When grocery shopping or browsing Target/Walmartā€¦ sometimes it just makes sense to grab a pack or two for funsies. I consider them my cigarettes haha.

3 Likes

The KYS comment was extreme.

Gotcha, didnt know what it meant til I was informed here!

Nah havent opened them yet they are currently ā€œinvestment piecesā€ but im weak and its very tempting lol

2 Likes

The debt is also extreme for a non-necessity.

The impulse buys are why I have to have collection goals or else I end up with a lot of random things.

1 Like

A little bird told me it was necessary

1 Like

Impluse bought a Green Wing Base Set Box with WOTC wrapping, but no Country Codes.= a few weeks ago.

Had a strong gut instinct that it was Shadowless, it was opened and I was right :wink:

Sometimes impluse buying pays off lol!

8 Likes