Identifying every Japanese Old ex Card (Not in English)

Hello everyone. As the title says I am trying to identify every unique Japanese old ex card artwork. In elaboration, I am trying to find all of the ex Ruby&Sapphire era ex card artworks that were not printed in English. So far I have identified 11 12 of these cards and I come to you to see if there are any that I am missing. Please let me know in the comments if I am missing any and I will add them to the list. Thank you :grin:

Here is a list of the cards that I have found so far:

Rayquaza ex 018/019 Holo Gift Box Promo

Rayquaza ex 003/012 Holo Gift Box Promo

Deoxys ex 018/019 Holo Gift Box Promo

Latias ex 011/018 Holo Gift Box Promo

Latios ex 011/018 Holo Gift Box Promo

Aura’s Lucario ex 006/012 Holo Gift Box Promo

Folklore’s Lucario ex 006/015 Holo Gift Box Promo

Ho-oh ex 030/PLAY PLAY Promo

Lugia ex 031/PLAY PLAY Promo

Jirachi ex 032/PLAY PLAY Promo

Mew ex 007/PLAY PLAY Promo

Imakuni’s Exploud ex 024/T T Promo

15 Likes

Neat thread. These are cool. I can’t think of any more offhand, but they’re probably out there.

1 Like

This one was missing, dont think that there are any others

6 Likes

@emba, Yes! Thank you for the reminder, I’m not sure how I forgot this one… Maybe because it looks like a flipped version of the one in ex Deoxys.

1 Like

12 you say…
*begins mentally planning 4x3 binder page*

4 Likes

The gift box Latias/Latios are honestly on par with the EX Dragon ones, IMO. Such beautiful cards.

As an unrelated aside, the non-holo Deoxys ex is stupidly difficult to find in NM condition for whatever reason. I’ve been actively searching for one for like 6 months now and I’ve had zero luck. By comparison, the Jirachi, Exploud, both Rayquazas, and Latias/Latios were insanely easy to find (and they weren’t).

2 Likes

My money-no-object tier list for acquiring these in mint condition (higher tier = harder)

S tier:

• Gift Box Rayquaza ex
  • Non-holo Gift Box Deoxys ex

A tier:

• Mew ex
  • Imakuni’s Exploud ex
  • Gift Box Latios & Latias ex

B tier:

• Folklore & Aura’s Lucario ex
  • Master Kit Rayquaza ex
  • PLAY Lugia ex

C tier:

• PLAY Ho-Oh, Jirachi ex
2 Likes

Mew I would think is the easiest if money is not issue? There are graded PSA 9/10 copies available on eBay.

1 Like

Eh, perhaps money-no-object wasn’t the best descriptor…basically I was judging on raw availability in mint condition and not price, obviously someone could argue a Mew ex at 4k in a 10 or whatever it is now is way harder to obtain than anything else on the list solely due to price. I still think that outside of just tossing money at a graded 10 it’s a difficult card to find.

It’s interesting to me that the play promos seem so much easier to find than the gift box exs. I would’ve expected it to be the other way around, but finding the gift box exs is just insanely difficult for whatever reason. Were the gift box print runs just really low and/or were the play promo print runs really high (for the lower points value cards)?

IIRC they are subscription promos not point based, you got them for being a member of club not earning points within the club like the gold star plays

2 Likes

That Latios looks so stupid I need it

1 Like

Nice work on the list. One cool thing to note is that the Lucario ex (both of them) are gen 4 Pokemon on the gen 3 card layout (ex). There are some other PCG-P era cards with Manaphy and other gen 4, but Lucario is the only one that has an ex (and two of them at that) to my knowledge. Pretty cool. I think the only other time this happened was Southern Islands?

4 Likes

I’ve been trying as well. Besides the heavily played ones, I assume partly it is due to how they are stored in the tin. Not quite as bad as English tin promos but this isn’t exactly ideal packaging to protect corners from knocking into the side of tin.

3 Likes