I am testing vacuum sealing cards for water protection

Yeah, you could probably overcompensate on dessicant and be fine I would guess. As long as the plastic isn’t plugging the porous portion and the air is all accessed by the desiccant.

Slabbed cards or just raw cards in hard cases? I would hope that slabs would protect from this, but IDK

Slabbed. They are semipermeable to protect against trapped humidity. That’s why they aren’t naturally waterproof.

1 Like

What if you vacuum seal the card with a silica pack? would the beads even be able to absorb humidity? I mean it’s not a true 100% vacuum so…water molecules can still move?

who here a science boi? I need my questions answered ;_; I’m guessing this wouldn’t work lol

Exactly. The benefit of allowing water into the case is that it also allows water out of it

Edit: I didn’t see the entire second page of this thread quoting this already, my bad :sweat_smile:

Yes, that is a fear of mine as well. I will be keeping an eye on the cards long term. The vacuum sealer can suck out condensation or liquid along with air when it seals but it may not be enough.

After being submerged overnight they look fine once again. I wonder how long it would take to notice humidity issues within the seal. Months?

1 Like

Cases I saw were after years

I run breaks, and vacuum seal the cards together prior to shipping… You never know with usps

Wow this bump is a throwback! If anyone is curious the cards still look fine!

10 Likes