How To Get Holo Scans Like These? (With An Epson Scanner)

@buckna @prochaos

Hey guys. I’m going a little crazy.

I have an Epson V600 and currently it seems to me that the V37 really picks up most holo effects more accurately, but if the V600 can do it too that’s great and I want to know how. (Not referring to Cosmos holo, that seems fine).

I’m using Epson Scan version 3.9.3.0. Scanning in a dark room with the lid open. My settings are very similar to the ones that ProChaos posted awhile back. I also explicitly tried his settings and had very similar results to my raw scans.

I don’t even care if someone thinks the result on the left looks ‘better’, it’s bugging me that I can’t seem to get something approaching the one on the right, which in some ways I feel is more accurate.

(My scans have a slight edit in Photoshop but nothing crazy)

I am also wondering how I access the two grayed-out buttons on the UI? Can’t figure that out no matter what I try?

Thanks for taking a look. :blush:

1 Like

The v600 scans look way better already

1 Like

@lhh,
I don’t have a decent scanner and my advice may be completely wrong but i can suggest you try turning up the DPI. its on 300 at the moment which is very little and most probably the reason why your scans are not capturing the small details like the texture of the cards. From a quick google your scanner will do up to 6400 dpi (that will take a long time to scan an image) but feel free to try anything above the 300 it’s set to now untill you are happy with the result. the higher the better but longer it will take to scan.
Hope this helps!

I think it might just come down to the actual scanner, the V37 is much older and I assume the actual scanning mechanism is different. You might not be able to achieve the same results unless there is a legacy setting or similar.

2 Likes

Just taking a stab here but he V37 LEDs are mounted on a green PCB and that green, because of the close proximity to the card, is reflected back onto the card. (The V600 has either a black pcb or it’s covered, either way it does not have this problem and shines bright pure white light). That part is well known and not a guess. The guess is that the green not being part of the holo makes the holo on those kinds of cards look more layered

2 Likes

Thanks for the responses guys.

Does anyone know how to access the 2 buttons I circled?
It seems like to get “the best of both worlds” I really should just take photos with a decent camera and lighting. Hmm. I just find it disappointing that the V600 misses a lot of the holo details/accuracy.

@pikachutcg Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately that didn’t help for the specific issue I’m referring to (I tried a 900 DPI scan and the overall lighting is the same).

1 Like