How to deal with ignorant eBay users with buyers remorse?

Last Wednesday night at 2:30AM I had someone buy over 20 cards from me. Followed up with a message if, when she bought all cards, she could get a discount. I thought, yeah; no problem. I can be nice and friendly once in a while. So the next night another 12 cards were ordered at the same godforsaken hour of 2:30AM. Waking up in middle of the night from the eBay app going ka-ching is not always as pleasant…

Saturday morning at 4AM I received a message that she didn’t want half of the cards any more and if I could make it so that she only would pay for what she wanted and me not sending the others.

Now it’s Monday morning, I received a message at 5AM from the buyer asking if I could open up a case for the item not being paid so she could re-order. I told her already twice that she should open a case to cancel the order.

I just replied to her again telling she should cancel the order and re-order them because an not-paid case would take several days leaving me without stock. But she clearly trying to make this my problem and not hers.

How to do with it further?

I am really close to just opening a case and putting her on the block list afterwards. But that still leaves me without the stock for several days.

As far as I know, a buyer can’t cancel an order. I know as I tried a couple weeks ago when dealing with an obvious scammer. Unless it’s different on the US site?

I’m sure most sellers will advise you to block her, but if you want to be nice you can accomodate your buyer with a very clear warning not to buy if she’s not 100% sure.

2 Likes

Last week I had a buyer cancelling the order from his side after winning an auction. So I know it’s possible.

I guess it’s different on .ca as we don’t have that option unless we pay for an item and then ask a refund. I ended up just hiding the item from my purchase history. lol Seller is gone now.

Strange this is. I was also dealing wiht a scammer recently and Ebay told me only the seller could cancel the order. However back to your question.
She is indeed putting you through problems that you should not have deal with, and it feels like you also don’t get the respect you deserve as a seller. I am not against having a remorse or the fact that sellers and buyers try to work out deals that feels rewarding for both parts. However in this case it just feels like a seller that buys first, thinks later. So basically ‘‘reserves’’ the cards and then starts contemplating wether or not she actually wants/can afford the cards, on top of that she asks for the discount AFTER buying. She sounds like work>reward for your part, so with risk of sounding too harsh I think you should file a claim and block her. I also can imagine trying to solve these problems her way could end up very timeconsuming cause who says that she won’t continue to try and make a better deal or add/take out more cards from the deal? Atleast she sould be warned that this is not the way to to buisness :blush:

Your mistake was replying to her the first time she won and didn’t want to pay full price. Ignore those messages and just let it go through the system you pay so much for.

5 Likes

agreed, if she wanted a discount she shouldn’t have hit that buy now button.

I mean buy it now means you agree on the price that it is listed for, not for lower

1 Like

Pretty sure you can cancel the order from your end and select the reason as “buyer asked to cancel the order.” Then hit her with that super-effective block. We’ve all dealt with people who just don’t get it, and it’s not worth the time or grief.

1 Like

Yeah the only case I have ever agreed to a post buy-it-now request for discounts was back when I used to charge shipping and right in my description I mentioned multi purchase discounts. For some reason my discount rules weren’t taking effect from time to time and a buyer was simply asking for an invoice reflecting the discounts mentioned in the description.

Other than that never bend to any buyer demands especially post buy-it-now. Always take it through to the unpaid item case so those buyers can be screened out by other sellers. Never just cancel if they ask.

I offered a discount when she told me she would order another few dozen cards (basically every base set common/uncommon), but she didn’t put through with it.

But after 20 minutes of clicking and cancelling and disputing all items, I got now all on the cancel tick-off. Let’s see how the buyer and eBay is going to work this out… I got a shitty feeling I’m stuck with a ton of eBay fees I gonna pay for a lot of trouble and no moneyz.

If they are cancelled you will recover all fees. The only fees you ever really lose out on is when you cancel and refund a paid for item. You lose that 30 cents fee to paypal.

Thank god no payment have been made yet.
So far half of it is cancelled, rest is stuck on the despite and buyer to stupid to just click and agree with it. She send me two messages already that I have to do whatever.

Still no movement on the cancellation of half of the orders. Buyer is completely silent.
If the 10 day timer runs out, without the buyer responding, what will happen to them? They will auto cancel?

I take it you do not have require immediate payment on?

Also if there is no payment I would start a payment not received case as soon as ebay’s system will let you.

I turned it on this morning after seeing some sales overnight which didn’t got paid instantly.
Usually I have, but… think this slipped through in my latest template…

1 Like

Kinda offtopic, but: Can someone tell me where to set this “immediate payment” thing? I can’t find it anywhere.

If you set up a BIN for PayPal, there is a checkbox you have to check to force buyers into direct payment upon BIN.

I believe you need a paypal business account to turn immediate payment on

I don’t have one, but I never had issues checking the box.

But I think, any buyer that hits the BIN button and doesn’t pay right away is scum anyway. You want it, so you buy it but you wait with payment like you have to wait for you beans to spout the money tree?

1 Like

I use that option on some of my more expensive items. Very handy :blush: