How Pikachu became the mascot of Pokemon (and what other Pokemon were considered)

So obviously, we all know that Pikachu is the mascot of the Pokemon franchise. It was Ash’s first Pokemon in the anime. It’s your designated starter in Pokemon Yellow (for better or for worse, but mostly for worse). It has the most products and merchandise of any Pokemon species. The rarest and most valuable cards in the TCG hobby typically feature Pikachu.

But how did this little electric rodent ultimately earn the title as Pokemon’s mascot?

Well, it wasn’t as simple as you may think.

As a matter of fact, in the early stages of Pokemon development, Pikachu wasn’t even considered a possibility to be the mascot.

So who was?

Well, there were a few options before Pikachu.

Rhydon

Ah, my personal favorite Pokemon.

Most people here are probably aware of the fact that Rhydon was actually the first Pokemon ever made, which is why its index number is 001. Clearly, Satoshi Tajiri had an affinity for Rhydon’s style of design, as Kangaskhan was the second Pokemon ever created (Index No. 002), and Nidoking comes in at No. 007.

You can see Rhydon’s influence in the early games, as Rhydon statues are scattered about the buildings in Red and Blue, particularly in Gyms (you can actually fish inside the statues due to a glitch, as seen below).

Clearly, Rhydon was one of the top early choices to be the mascot of the franchise, and this was before Rhyhorn itself even existed. So why didn’t it make the cut?

Well, a rumor is that the issue with Rhydon was that it was too male-friendly. Pokemon was a game aiming to hit a largely equal demographic of both boys and girls, so the idea of a giant, gray, rhinoceros-looking dinosaur as the cover star just wouldn’t cut it. After all, what were they going to do? Make Pokemon Gray? Not exactly kid-friendly in general, let alone for girls.

The same reasoning is applied as for why the infinitely popular Charizard was never used as the mascot. A giant fire-breathing dragon was just too male-centric. That being said, there isn’t all that much evidence to suggest that Charizard was ever really considered for that role to begin with.

As a matter of fact, Charizard’s index number is 180, making it the last Gen 1 starter developed and indicating that it almost never even existed in the original games seeing as how there were only 151 Pokemon (obviously, the 29 other entries into the index number list were either pushed ahead to other generations, scrapped entirely or resulted in errors [e.g. MissingNo and M]).

Pretty crazy to think about.

Anyway, while Rhydon was the first Pokemon ever made and was likely considered by developers for the title of mascot, fate (and logistic reasoning) was never going to allow that to come to fruition.

Poliwag

This one is interesting.

Rhydon was the first Pokemon, so you could see why it had an outside shot of taking center stage for the franchise, but Poliwag, whose index number is 071, indicating that it was developed somewhat late?

Why?

Well, Tajiri was the creator of Pokemon, after all, and Poliwhirl (Index No. 111) was his favorite character. As a result, Poliwag—not Pikachu, Charmander, Squirtle or Bulbasaur—was Red’s first Pokemon in the Pokemon Adventures manga.

IMG_7749

There is a moment during the manga where Red is drowning and Poliwag is helpless to save him, so it evolves into Poliwhirl and comes to Red’s rescue.

Rumor has it that Poliwrath’s design was a direct result of Tajiri’s love for Poliwhirl. Ever wonder why Poliwhirl didn’t evolve into a frog for its final form? Apparently, Tajiri rejected the idea of Poliwhirl’s design undergoing a significant overhaul, which was why Politoed was initially scrapped as the final evolution for the Poliwag line. Instead, Poliwhirl turns into Poliwrath, who doesn’t look much different aside from a bulkier physique.

Of course, Politoed was subsequently added as an alternative evolution in Gen 2.

Additionally, Poliwhirl was really pushed as a mascot for a while, even after Pikachu obtained the title. Tons of Poliwhirl merchandise was produced at the onset of the Pokemon craze, and Poliwhirl even appeared on the cover of TIME Magazine, taking the spotlight away from Pikachu, Charizard and other popular species:

But much to Tajiri’s chagrin, the Poliwag line never quite caught on. Perhaps all of the developers disagreed and didn’t think that pushing the tadpole trio would be the best idea. Regardless of what the reasoning was, it didn’t take long for the Poliwag line to fade into obscurity,

Clefairy

Similar to Rhydon, Clefairy was one of the first Pokemon ever developed, coming in at No. 004 on the index number list. But unlike Rhydon, Clefairy made a very serious push to become the series mascot and likely was up until the very last moment.

While Poliwag was Red’s first Pokemon in Pokemon Adventures, Clefairy was Red’s starter in a the first manga: Pokemon Pocket Monsters.

It looked quite a bit different then, too:

IMG_7750

A further nugget of information is that Clefairy (known as “Blockhead Clefairy” in the manga) was actually Pikachu’s cousin in Pokemon Pocket Monsters.

Now we’ll get a little deeper and reveal some information that even experienced Pokemon aficionados may not know.

We all know Pokemon Yellow, arguably the most iconic game in the history of the franchise due to its parallels to the anime (the undefeated Sandshrew guy even exists in the game) and for the fact that you can have all of Pikachu, Charizard, Blastoise and Venusaur on your team.

But did you know that Pokemon Yellow may not have been the only Red and Blue/Green spinoff that Gamefreak intended? There may have been another game:

Pokemon Pink.

Thanks to a massive Nintendo data breach that resulted in tons of leaked documents a few years ago, we were able to see that all throughout Pokemon Yellow’s source code, the color “pink” constantly surfaced. Not only that, but the phrase “Pokemon Pink” also came up.

While this is all conjecture and that a “Pokemon Pink” title has never officially been confirmed by Nintendo, it’s hard not to connect the dots.

Why would the term “Pokemon Pink” surface in Pokemon Yellow’s source code? Is it just a coincidence that we see this knowing that Clefairy was pushed as the initial mascot (more on that in a second)? Did the franchise intend to release this title alongside of Yellow? Or maybe the initial plan was just to release Pink without Yellow?

It’s an interesting thought, to say the least.

Now back to Clefairy and the whole mascot discussion.

If Tajiri and Co. were potentially this serious about making Clefairy the face of the franchise, why did things change?

Well, remember earlier when I mentioned that the likely reason that Rhydon was pushed aside was because it was too male-centric? With Clefairy, it was the opposite: a cute pink ball of fluff would likely push many boys away.

Furthermore, Clefairy’s design was somewhat common. Maybe not in terms of its bodily characteristics, but more in terms of its color. There are tons of pink characters that children see on a daily basis, so would Clefairy really stand out as a mascot?

Given that Clefable’s index number is 142, it seems pretty evident that Clefairy (No. 004) was originally not supposed to evolve and was the top mascot choice for quite some time. Contrast that with Pikachu and Raichu, who are 084 and 085, respectively, denoting that Pikachu was never meant to stand on its own.

But ultimately, Clefairy didn’t make the cut.

Enter Pikachu

That brings us to the coverboy: Pikachu.

We all just accept Pikachu as the franchise mascot nowadays, but back during development in Japan in the mid-to-late '90s, Pikachu wasn’t really considered for much of anything special. At first.

Keep in mind that in Red and Blue, Pikachu isn’t very obtainable. You have a slim chance of encountering one in Viridian Forest, and if you don’t get one then, you have to wait until the back half of the game to pick one up in the Power Plant, and by that point, you have probably already trained up a full team of six.

Pikachu wasn’t a starter. It wasn’t like Pidgey or Rattata. You couldn’t just find a bunch of them in the grass.

This actually ended up favoring Pikachu with developers (more on that in a bit).

When Tajiri and associates began to realize that Clefairy’s feminine-favoring design probably wouldn’t make sense from a business standpoint, they decided to look for a character that was more neutral in its features.

That’s when Pikachu came on the scene.

A chubby yellow rodent with an initially white belly, Pikachu’s design has obviously changed considerably over the years, so much so that you have to go all the way back to Bandai Carddass to even catch a glimpse of white-bellied Pikachu on a card. Even more, Pikachu has definitely been hitting the treadmill and cutting out sweets and potato chips over the last couple of decades.

But not only would Pikachu attract both boys and girls, its design was also somewhat unique. While Clefairy’s pink was pretty widespread among children’s toys and TV shows, Pikachu’s yellow-orange hue wasn’t exactly a common sight.

The anime development team also helped Pikachu’s case by implementing Pikachu’s voice. The “Pika Pika” sound that we all can identify today was one of the main additions that pushed Pikachu ahead of the pack.

Now, recalling what I said a few paragraphs ago about Pikachu not being readily available in Red and Green (remember: Green was the Blue of Japan); according to Junichi Masuda, Pikachu’s relative rarity had to do with the fact that developers deemed it too cool-looking to be that common (along those lines, let’s remember that Clefairy only lurks in Mt. Moon and has a low appearance rate).

Making Pikachu a rare encounter also assisted in the mouse’s ascension to mascot status. Cute, unique, rare and able to hit a wide demographic? It seemed like the little guy was checking all of the boxes.

And as an aside, given that Clefairy was probably the original mascot and was likely meant to be a standalone Pokemon based on the fact that its index number is so far apart from Clefable’s, it makes you wonder if Gamefreak ever would have even invented Raichu had it intended on making Pikachu the face of the franchise from the beginning.

Plus, the Pikachu line was originally meant to be three stages, with the final stage being a Pokemon called Gorochu (this was confirmed by Atsuko Nishida herself), further evidence that Gamefreak never planned on prioritizing Pikachu in the dawn of Pokemon.

To save space in the game data and for game balance, Gorochu was removed.

This is just my speculative guess, but the fact that Pikachu gets all of the glory with promo cards, special abilities and items in the mainline games themselves, etc. lends credence to the notion that if Gamefreak could go back in time, it would probably prefer to erase Raichu from existence.

Conclusion

While we will likely never know for sure exactly what went on behind the scenes in the early stages of Pokemon’s development, the story is certainly intriguing.

Was Clefairy really the first mascot? As far as I know, it has never been officially confirmed by Tajiri, Masuda, Ken Sugimori or any other Gamefreak employees, but all of the evidence seems to indicate that it was.

Was there really supposed to be a game called “Pokemon Pink?” That one seems to be more of a shot in the dark, but it’s hard to ignore the clues in Yellow’s source code.

Regardless, it’s mysteries like these that contribute to the overall mystique and legendary nature of what Pokemon is and what it has become.

Hope you all enjoyed the read :slight_smile:

76 Likes

Interesting! Thanks for shearing!!

3 Likes

I knew about the Clefairy one. But I had no idea about Rhydon and Poliwhirl being potential mascots. Makes sense with how often you see Poliwhirl featured on vintage stuff.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing! I never knew about the rhydon statue fishing glitch in red/blue, very cool!

Pikachu’s relative rarity had to do with the fact that developers deemed it too cool-
looking to be that common (along those lines, let’s remember that Clefairy only lurks in Mt. Moon and has a low appearance rate)

I vaguely remember how hard it was to find both pikachu and clefairy in red. I think that also led me to really want to get the clefairy holo from base set. I never pulled one, but I ended up trading for one. I still have it today, but it’s pretty beat lol…

2 Likes

Pokemon Pink data is news to me. THat’s pretty cool, considering. A shame they chose eevee instead of clefairy for Let’s Go!

It’s been a while since I thought about all these things, and some of it I’d forgotten. Great article, @Cerulean, and thank you for posting!

Also, I have to wonder, now that I know more, and have been reminded: I wonder, if Pikachu had been more accessible in G/R/B, would it have been a less successful mascot?

I was never a huge pikachu fan, but it was neat to finally be able to get one when they were so freakin hard to get in viridian in R/B. Even then relatively useless, YET when you could spawn with one in Yellow, it was freakin’ cool! (Even if I was tempted to throw it in a box for most of the game…)
If Ash had had some run-of-the-mill pokemon as his partner, (like machop, which could have worked, albiet more 90s-boy-gender-ish) how would it have affected things? Maybe squirtle? But then, they’re favoring one starter… Maybe eevee? But then it’s design is more limiting (having hands, etc.) After all this, seems pikachu might have been the best choice in the end.

1 Like

Another note on the rarity, the pika animal itself is very rare! I went hiking in Hokkaido where they’re known to live and didn’t see a single one :frowning:

4 Likes

This is actually yet another indication that Clefairy was initially meant to be the mascot. Why give Clefairy a holo in Base Set? Why not include Clefable and give Clefable the holo instead of moving Clefable to the Jungle Set, where it clearly does not belong?

Obviously, Pikachu was already set in stone as the mascot by the time Base Set was released, but including Clefairy as a holo (and not Pikachu; think about that) seems like a wink and a nod to Clefairy as the original face.

5 Likes

This was such a great read! I always wondered why poliwhirl was so prominent during the 90s. That is really cool how Tajiri didn’t want him to evolve into a frog. I remember seeing him in ads like this one:

IMG_7753

I noticed the clefairy manga design from the early phone cards. I think they kept it going for a bit, definitely looks different from normal clefairy:

Anyway that was so fun to read! Here is a smpratte token! :prattetoken:

27 Likes

Awesome backstory! Thanks for posting!

2 Likes

Ive been reading the old manga recently and love this formative era. Its all so chaotic and u get a sense of them working it all out on the fly which comes off as really exciting with histories retrospect.the manga is so wild st times. The pokemon are actually dangerous and kinda terrifying at times. Its refreshing for sure. The anime did so much for pikachu and gave it such a great character and attitude that wouldn’t have worked with clefairy, i believe it being electric type gave it an easier character to write for as they could give it an electric personality and spark. Great little article. Realy lovey read!

4 Likes

Interesting read! Out of curiosity, where does that weird Hitmontop-like version of Clefairy come from?

1 Like

A lot of new information here for me, bookmarked!

2 Likes

Superb article and it was really awesome to read. Thanks for sharing this info since I was not aware of a lot of things. Very interesting info on Pokemon history.

Cheers!

3 Likes

This was very well written and super interesting. Thank you for taking the time to write it all out! I had no idea that there were files indicating the order that the original Pokemon were created in, let alone Charizard being the last one!

3 Likes

Really interesting! The CoroCoro edition that gave out the Pikachu and Jigglypuff promos in 1996 features the weird Clefairy style very prominently as the “cover star”. Interestingly they still went with Pikachu as the giveaway to introduce people to the TCG. I wonder why they chose Jigglypuff instead of Clefairy though.

5 Likes

So this was one of the earliest beta designs for Clefairy that was eventually reworked into Hitmontop. Clefairy also had another beta design (even earlier than the Hitmontop one), which looked like this:

Notice the strange similarities to Rhydon. Obviously, Tajiri was going for a certain look at the time.

8 Likes

This is a really interesting story! I am a bit shocked that a formal documentary has never been made on the genesis of Pokemon. That type of story needs to be told for knowledge sake but also for archival purposes. I am sure that Tajiri and Sugimori have/had a lot of archival documents that are locked away or lost.

3 Likes

I completely agree, but we know how Pokemon is by now. They are so tight-lipped about everything. Just take the whole Clefairy mascot backstory for example. As I mentioned in my OP, as far as I am aware, no employee has ever come out and directly said that this was true, even though there is overwhelming evidence to support it and everyone can pretty much draw their own conclusions. Maybe they just don’t want to potentially mess with what has already been established? Who knows, but for whatever reason, Pokemon is very taciturn with this type of information.

7 Likes

Imagine if they used this style for pikachu

7 Likes

That other beta design is more fuel for the Gengar is a passed-away Clefable (or Clefairy, in this case) theory!

3 Likes